The Black Angels...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Black Angels...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:26 am

I figured this lot should get their own thread. They've just released their 6th album and, after a first listen, I think it's a belter!

Personally, their first 3 albums are where it's at, appearing during the gradual rise in popularity of psychedelic folk/rock, fuelled in a large way by The Brian Jonestown Massacre.
I feel they always had their own thing going though, leaning more towards the drone rock side of things - minimal but very heavy prominent baselines & primal drumming. In retrospect I think they've influenced just as many bands as the BJM did.

We'll be seeing them in a fairly small, 500 capacity venue in Prague next February. Every gig I've seen of theirs has been on another level. Such a great live band & I'm sure they won't disappoint this time around.

I'm gonna jump in for a second listen now :)

Any other fans out there?
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Black Angels...

Post by rank » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:01 pm

I really dig their records but enjoy Phosphene Dream most. I do like the new record. I have unfortunately never gotten a chance to see them live though.
We are merely moving shadows.

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:41 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:26 am
I figured this lot should get their own thread. They've just released their 6th album and, after a first listen, I think it's a belter!

Personally, their first 3 albums are where it's at, appearing during the gradual rise in popularity of psychedelic folk/rock, fuelled in a large way by The Brian Jonestown Massacre.
I feel they always had their own thing going though, leaning more towards the drone rock side of things - minimal but very heavy prominent baselines & primal drumming. In retrospect I think they've influenced just as many bands as the BJM did.

We'll be seeing them in a fairly small, 500 capacity venue in Prague next February. Every gig I've seen of theirs has been on another level. Such a great live band & I'm sure they won't disappoint this time around.

I'm gonna jump in for a second listen now :)

Any other fans out there?
Love the Black Angels.

I see you’re off to Prague next year. My brother lives there and messaged me tonight that due to a lack of babysitter he’s recently missed both Mudhoney & Brian Jonestown Massacre gigs. He has managed to arrange one for the Cure.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:45 am

I haven't had a chance to listen to new album top to bottom yet, but I've listened to the two singles they released before hand. My favorite is phosphene dream as well. That seems to be the album that features their best songwriting and it is very tightly sequenced. I really like the clear lake forest EP too.