I guess they've remixed Pink Floyd's Animals

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I guess they've remixed Pink Floyd's Animals

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:32 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:31 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm
...Meddle...
I revisited this album a while back, purely because of the need to remember how "the song with the howling dog" went. I actually found everything between the first & last tracks pretty underwhelming. Mind you, Echoes must be in my top 5 list of Pink Floyd tracks (even if it's kind of a medley).
Yeah, I found the howling dog sound to be the only real clunker on there. Well, San Tropez is pretty weak. But Fearless is great.

For the most part, there's always some kind of lame songs on any Pink Floyd album.

But I'm not a huge fan. I could never get into Wish You Were Here at all, and if I hear those alarms from Dark Side again I don't know what I'll do. That album is way overplayed.

And I have probably played The Wall in its entirety like twice.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:37 am

I think CDs were invented for the wall- skip, skip, skip, ah that one is ok, skip etc…
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:42 am

Yeah, there's a handful of great songs on it.

I guess I was something of a Pink Floyd fan back in the day, I have all the albums. I even bought David Gilmour's two solo albums, which are dull as dirt.

I also listened to some of Roger Waters' solo albums, which are also terrible.

I saw the first tour of Pink Floyd without Roger Waters, which was totally lame, so I guess I heard some of those albums.

They were terrible.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:50 am

The Wall is incredibly heavy going, the film more so than the album.

But, a huge part of that whole thing for me was the visual input of Gerald Scarfe. Teenage me was just getting into serious illustration & he (along with Ralph Steadman) had such an incredible, provocative style. I had 3 or 4 really nice hardback books of their work that somehow got lost after I finished college. Now that I'm reminded I might actually track them down again on eBay.

Annoying story about Animals...

A few years back when I was still living in London we were fostering kittens from Battersea Cats & Dogs home. We'd keep them for 3-4 weeks at a time, until they were allocated a permanent home.
On one particular day I got a taxi back to Battersea to return the cats & then the bus straight back home. Crucially I chose to sit on the bottom deck & on the opposite side to the one overlooking Battersea Power Station (a building I've always loved!!)
A couple of days later I read that, on that very day & around that very time, they'd re-floated the famous inflatable pig above the Power Station as part of some celebration of the album.

I totally missed it! Gaaah!!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:54 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:50 am
The Wall is incredibly heavy going, the film more so than the album.

But, a huge part of that whole thing for me was the visual input of Gerald Scarfe. Teenage me was just getting into serious illustration & he (along with Ralph Steadman) had such an incredible, provocative style. I had 3 or 4 really nice hardback books of their work that somehow got lost after I finished college. Now that I'm reminded I might actually track them down again on eBay.

Annoying story about Animals...

A few years back when I was still living in London we were fostering kittens from Battersea Cats & Dogs home. We'd keep them for 3-4 weeks at a time, until they were allocated a permanent home.
On one particular day I got a taxi back to Battersea to return the cats & then the bus straight back home. Crucially I chose to sit on the bottom deck & on the opposite side to the one overlooking Battersea Power Station (a building I've always loved!!)
A couple of days later I read that, on that very day & around that very time, they'd re-floated the famous inflatable pig above the Power Station as part of some celebration of the album.

I totally missed it! Gaaah!!!
The best part is that now it’s £2 million flats, some faux hipster cafes & a shopping centre on the way. Almost like the Pink Floyd dystopian dream has come to pass
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:21 pm

Animals is probably my favorite PF album, so i'll gladly give this one a listen.
I really enjoy the Wall as well, but it's a headphone album for me when i can actually give it the time. I feel similarly about The Final Cut (though it's mostly a Roger solo album really)
Dark Side, i like quite a bit, and really dig Time. I am still not a fan of Clare Torry's singing on The Great Gig in The Sky. Nothing against her, I think she did great, but I just don't like it no matter how long i've heard the album.
Wish You Were has some great sounding production on it too, and the first two songs are a killer start. Welcome To The Machine is a great example of how to use synths creatively IMO.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:00 pm

Maybe on this....