I guess they've remixed Pink Floyd's Animals

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I guess they've remixed Pink Floyd's Animals

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:51 am

Here is what Roger Waters has to say about it.

Now, bear in mind that this is a remix, not a remastering, which to me says that they went back to the individual recorded tracks or some stems or something. I guess I could be wrong about that.

Frankly, I'm not all that sure that there's much room for improvement, it's not like Animals was some minor release that sounded bad or anything. But I guess I'll keep an open mind about it.

Not sure if anyone really cares about Pink Floyd or anything, and maybe no one should, but I've always liked Animals and consider it to be their best work. It's the only Pink Floyd album I can imagine playing at all.

Anyway, just a heads up.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I guess they've remixed Pink Floyd's Animals

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:33 am

I love how, despite the clear animosity, they can still both agree to release a remix of an album that doesn’t need a remix. If you can’t tour, gotta keep refreshing the back catalogue.

Not that I’m complaining, the Knebworth live album release was delightful.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:46 am

Animals is one of my favorite PF albums, so I’m looking forward to hearing this. I’ve always thought their classic albums were mixed well, but maybe they want to modernize a bit.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:56 am

i'm always ambivalent about these things for the same reasons – why mess with history, and on a certain level, perfection? – but i have to admit the 2019 touch-up of Abbey Road kind of blew my mind. maybe this will too -
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:50 am

^^^ That exact comparison is what I immediately thought of when I saw Larry’s post. I loved what they did with Abbey Road.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:17 pm

Yeah, I'm a little intrigued, and I'll give it a listen. I always thought it was an excellent sounding album as it was.

I'm thinking of "Dogs" when he sings "with your eyes closed" and they fly in what sounds like a chord with reverse reverb on it, well, that's great sounding there.

Later you hear all the drum hits cleanly.

Not sure what there is to improve.

I wonder when I'll get to hear it, though, I'm not going to buy it and Youtube has poor quality.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:00 pm

I know it's terrible for fans of Pink Floyd that the acrimony between Gilmore and Waters means we're not likely to see anymore collaborating between the two, but it also tickles me to no end when they talk shit about each other. I absolutely love it, and I want more. Can't wait for Roger's memoir.
Local milk person

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:13 pm

Some of the responses here have sent me on a post-wish you were here listening fest. Dogs has some great moments, and lots of moments I wish were more straight up like tracks on wish you were here.

I guess I’m a greatest hits guy beyond dark side of the moon & wish you were here… :ph34r:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:17 am

Animals is a classic. I pre-ordered the multichannel bluray so looking forward to being surrounded by it.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 am

Animals is a brilliant album. My favorite PF record after DSOTM is probably Meddle. I absolutely hate The Wall save for 4-5 tracks, and I think it was a clear stepping stone to The Final Cut, which is the worst PF album of the Roger era.

It is clear none of the albums we all love would have happened without Roger, who seemed to be the McCartney of the group in terms of always wanting to do the next thing and coming up with ideas for it. But the guy seems so insufferable and really obsessed with getting the credit. This cannot be a good way to live in your 70s.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:47 am

big fan of PFs music but think they are/always were just unpleasant people, very much deserving of each other. old rock stars bickering themselves into the grave just seems to be the thing to do past a certain age.

animals is a killer fucking record in the PF canon and, to me, rock music of that period in general. can't think of another record that sounds quite like it. king crimson stuff has the same sort of "dry" production at times, but musically PF were always more rough & ready rudimentary (in a good way) compared to other "proggy" bands.
Last edited by MechaBulletBill on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:54 am

Another big Pink Floyd fan here, from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn right through to The Wall.

Animals was an interesting one for me as a teenager of the late 80s, kind of coming from that same era as Dark Side Of The Moon & Wish You Were Here but clearly having much darker political undertones. I also reckon I've played Pigs On The Wing (part 1 and 2) more on the acoustic guitar than any other song.

I'm not all that fussed about hearing a remix. It was of a time & I'm happy sticking with the original mix, which I have no complaints about.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

bluemonday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bluemonday » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:30 am

This was among the first records I ever bought! It's so nice to hear some love for Animals. It always seemed to me like it got lost between Dark Side of the Moon, WYWH, and The Wall blockbusters. That's why it seemed to me a more personal album, both for the band and us fans. It's funny how an album that did very well can be considered bit of a dark horse. But millions and millions in sales is relative when you are talking about Pink Floyd! Also the album didn't have a single did it? I don't remember airplay.

Bottom line, I will check this out for sure!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 am
Animals is a brilliant album. My favorite PF record after DSOTM is probably Meddle. I absolutely hate The Wall save for 4-5 tracks, and I think it was a clear stepping stone to The Final Cut, which is the worst PF album of the Roger era.

It is clear none of the albums we all love would have happened without Roger, who seemed to be the McCartney of the group in terms of always wanting to do the next thing and coming up with ideas for it. But the guy seems so insufferable and really obsessed with getting the credit. This cannot be a good way to live in your 70s.
Yeah, Meddle is the second best to me, but honestly, I never really liked Dark Side all that much. Maybe it's because it was so played out in my mind, I just can't really love any of it and would never play it.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:31 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm
...Meddle...
I revisited this album a while back, purely because of the need to remember how "the song with the howling dog" went. I actually found everything between the first & last tracks pretty underwhelming. Mind you, Echoes must be in my top 5 list of Pink Floyd tracks (even if it's kind of a medley).
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.