The Mars Volta teasing…something

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Mars Volta teasing…something

Post by sal paradise » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:34 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:30 am
sal paradise wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am
It’s out! What do we think?
I'm quite surprised.

I really didn't like the track they released a few weeks back but some of what I've heard just now is quite brilliant. I'm liking Blank Condolences and Flash Burns From Flashbacks in particular, the latter of which has some incredible drumming on it.

It's kinda chilled out, loungy, snake-hipped pop & I can see it being a hit. Some of it could work really well on a dark, network TV show like Euphoria, I reckon.
It reminds me of panic at the disco :whistle:

They’re a v clever bunch of musicians so I don’t see it quite as an insult, more surprise that it’s a pop album. I like it.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:57 am

I think I need to give it more time. I don’t dislike it, but it didn’t grab me immediately. I feel like it’s a “chill out in the evening” album.

I loved the first two tracks they released and really enjoyed Tourmaline. That track was just gorgeous.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:14 pm

I have been obsessively listening to this album since it released, much like i did with most of their previous stuff. I really really enjoy the new sound, I was expecting them to chill out further given what Cedric and Omar have been up to in recent years so it was no major surprise. I always found myself enjoying their more chilled out moments more anyways, so the less meandering/heavy, "poppier" direction is welcome to my ears. I am consistently impressed by how their sound morphs and changes over the years.

I specifically cant get enough of Vigil, Tourmaline, Collapsible Shoulders, Shore Story, Palm Full of Crux and Cerulea. Highly recommend anyone interested in the album to check these tracks out specifically. I wish i had more friends to nerd out over TMV with because theyre one of my all time favs haha
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars