I miss Shadowplay

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: I miss Shadowplay

Post by Telliot » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:54 am

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:40 am
David has helped me through the darkest times of my life with his wit, generosity, and big heart. He also has impeccable taste in everything.
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Can confirm.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:36 pm

He recommended a Hampshire & Foat album once that became my Saturday morning cleaning music for many weeks.

I also loved to read his takes on style and aesthetics generally in addition to music. His recommendations for Christmas gift ideas were also really good. And the cars of course.

I stopped wearing flips flops except at the pool or beach or in Hawaii partly because of him. I like that he has strong opinions and reasons for them. Strange how much influence he and others here have had on me over the years.

I started reading here in 2008 or so. It took over a year before I made an account, mostly so I could track certain threads. I check the board almost every day. Sometimes I feel like I've read so many posts from folks on here I forget we're actually strangers. The internet is an odd place.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:19 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:36 pm
He recommended a Hampshire & Foat album once that became my Saturday morning cleaning music for many weeks.

I also loved to read his takes on style and aesthetics generally in addition to music. His recommendations for Christmas gift ideas were also really good. And the cars of course.

I stopped wearing flips flops except at the pool or beach or in Hawaii partly because of him. I like that he has strong opinions and reasons for them. Strange how much influence he and others here have had on me over the years.

I started reading here in 2008 or so. It took over a year before I made an account, mostly so I could track certain threads. I check the board almost every day. Sometimes I feel like I've read so many posts from folks on here I forget we're actually strangers. The internet is an odd place.
Exactly how I feel, Shadowplay, HNB, Larry Mal, Mackerelmint, MaggieO, Zhivago, McSleazy, Rexter, Deed_Poll and a few others I'd consider massive influences on the forum in general. I've been here since 2014 and still feel like a newbie.

There's a few names on here I'd consider friends never having met them or actively spoken to them but just from their posting and the occasional quoted point I know we'd get on like a house on fire.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:33 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:19 pm
Agreed. I've made some real connections with a good handful of people here, and have actually become friends with some of our members IRL. This place is special, for sure.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:33 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Sometimes I feel like I've read so many posts from folks on here I forget we're actually strangers.
I agree with this completely.
We are merely moving shadows.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:25 pm

I admired Shadowplay. He had turned me on to some music, for the life of me I can’t remember who or why. Probably multiple. Maybe it was just a mention but I feel like it was Bauhaus or Souixie and the Banshees. Maybe he hates them and that wasn’t it at all. Either way, I found myself trying to dive in to his musical suggestions from time to time. Often times it was something so obscure “to me” that it was hard to follow. Every now and then I’d catch a song he suggested that sounded good. Then to look up the other songs from the artist to be utterly disappointed or unable to jive.

But, yes, a large part of my OSG time since first lurking in 2010 has been spent on threads where he was prominent.

If he left because things got political, good for him. Perhaps things really did get a bit off kilter and I don’t blame him for clearing his head of it all. I’ll admit I miss some of the misc discussion, but now that it has been a few days, I feel a little more united with the forum and actually just more focused on guitar. You guys have been a great community and I love you all! Shadowplay, thanks for your contributions.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:52 am

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:40 am
David has helped me through the darkest times of my life with his wit, generosity, and big heart. He also has impeccable taste in everything.
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Same. I find it weird that although I've never met him, he's helped me a lot through the years. When I'm cycling in South side, I always hope to see him but haven't yet.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:59 am

Just adding to the chorus of praise in this thread, his posts were one of the reasons I started reading OSG's various categories so often, I remember him posting a mix he did 10years ago and me discovering so much good music in it, I was bummed to have lost the file while moving stuff from one computer to another !

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:57 am

I'm going to report this thread. :ph34r:

Miss his input and musical tips. If there was a Venn diagram of the stuff we had in common it would be like Jupiter (his tastes) and Mars (my tastes) with a decent sliver overlapping.

Finding a person "in the wild" that shares some musical taste with you AND can give you tips for new bands and stuff you missed from the past is a godsend. Like I can only think of maybe four or five people in my whole life that have done that. I have easily purchased more than 50, if not 100+ albums due to Shadowplay's generous sharing of knowledge and taste. I know he rubbed a few people here the wrong way-- sometimes I could sort of see why, but for the most part I felt like the offended people were being overly sensitive and/or unable to understand his sense of morals/humor.

The music section has become a bit of desert in terms of shit that piques my interest. I'm really happy with that thread about 'new bands from the past five years' post-- because there are some good recommendations there. It's like one-in-fifteen for me.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:55 am

Telliot wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:33 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:19 pm
Agreed. I've made some real connections with a good handful of people here, and have actually become friends with some of our members IRL. This place is special, for sure.
It's an oasis in the vast desert of really dodgy guitar forums, it's the only one I feel comfortable contributing to.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Great guy, and I hope he is thriving in whatever he is doing. I miss him too. He always had great music recommendations and he turned me onto some killer Dub music.. I always imagine him wearing plaid pants with a black blazer smoking a pipe and fishing on some remote Scottish Lock.....Shadowplay rules.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:02 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:43 pm
Scottish Lock
Loch!

I miss David's insights too. Was thinking about him the other day as I gave this a first listen:
https://folkloretapes.bandcamp.com/

From the blurb on fave local recordshop Monorail's website:
The styles on show here range from lysergically inverted a capella folk traditionals to synth workouts, sound design with overlayed poetry of the North East (well, we hear a Yorkshire accent in there), disembodied piano chiming in the distance, goth-tinged, creepy improvisation, lush Broadcast-ish deconstructed cinematic pop music… the fact that Folklore Tapes and its head curator David Chatton Baker can stitch everything together with a really cohesive thread weaving through the styles is testament to the label’s aesthetic unity.
Sounds very much up his street.
Kenny

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Which one?

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:42 am

Galaxies Like Grains of Sand

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:58 am

To be honest, I miss all the old guard that have - for whatever reasons - drifted away. I found this old bookmark that was from the super, super early OSG.com days, written by Doug (Fullerplast):

https://www.offsetguitars.com/jaguar_restoration/
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?