bands/artists you have conflicting feelings about?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: bands/artists you have conflicting feelings about?

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:07 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:19 am
Also, white man with dreadlocks.
I never fail to sharpen my pitchfork for white guys with dreads.
This is an excellent rectangle

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:53 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:07 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
there's this one white dude with dreds i see walking around the west end of glasgow with his wife, a white woman with dreds. you can smell them before you see them. it's like weed, BO and herbal tea. they're both so spaced out i've been playing a game on my bike to see how many rings of my bell i can get in before they notice me and hop out of the cycle lane. 18 rings. i've also seen them walking through the park with a boombox playing bob marley at full blast and when asked to turn it down, they started calling them fascists. it's like Neil from the young ones, my dad and every stereotype about white reggae fans was rolled into one.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:13 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:53 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:07 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
there's this one white dude with dreds i see walking around the west end of glasgow with his wife, a white woman with dreds. you can smell them before you see them. it's like weed, BO and herbal tea. they're both so spaced out i've been playing a game on my bike to see how many rings of my bell i can get in before they notice me and hop out of the cycle lane. 18 rings. i've also seen them walking through the park with a boombox playing bob marley at full blast and when asked to turn it down, they started calling them fascists. it's like Neil from the young ones, my dad and every stereotype about white reggae fans was rolled into one.
And that's why I never fail to sharpen my pitchfork for white guys with dreads. :D
This is an excellent rectangle

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Maybe this doesn't belong here, as I don't have conflicted feelings as much as I straight up don't like them, is Wet Leg. I guess I don't see what the fuss is all about. If it's just a joke band or a piss take on indie music, I don't see how it'll last longer than one album. This is probably akin to an old man grumbling 'get off of my indie rock lawn', or something.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:10 pm

mcbrandt wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Maybe this doesn't belong here, as I don't have conflicted feelings as much as I straight up don't like them, is Wet Leg. I guess I don't see what the fuss is all about. If it's just a joke band or a piss take on indie music, I don't see how it'll last longer than one album. This is probably akin to an old man grumbling 'get off of my indie rock lawn', or something.
I don't understand either. Take every local indie joke girl band and make it worse? I dont understand.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:16 pm

shoule79 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:59 pm
Regarding Radiohead, I think most of the die hard fans are too invested to look at a lot of their catalogue objectively. It’s like of like Weezer fans who praise anything they’ve done post 2000. At some level I think they know it’s not good, but don’t want to admit it. It’s like conspiracy theorists, they are convinced that there is something more to the music that only they see.

I personally love the Bends and OK Computer, and really like Pablo and Kid A. The quality really started to drop after that. I wasn’t over the moon about Radiohead when those albums came out, because I was already listening to bands that were in the same vein. But they were still really good albums and I think they aged well. I think Thom Yorke really started to like the smell of his own farts and didn’t have anyone to tell him otherwise.
I don't know what 'objectively' is meant to be but i started with Hail to the Thief and find the Bends and OKC bit boring now. It could be they simply don't agree with your opinion/unintended irony. Love thom's solo things admittedly have found it more interesting than the last album of RH.

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:14 pm

jorri wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:16 pm
shoule79 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:59 pm
Regarding Radiohead, I think most of the die hard fans are too invested to look at a lot of their catalogue objectively. It’s like of like Weezer fans who praise anything they’ve done post 2000. At some level I think they know it’s not good, but don’t want to admit it. It’s like conspiracy theorists, they are convinced that there is something more to the music that only they see.

I personally love the Bends and OK Computer, and really like Pablo and Kid A. The quality really started to drop after that. I wasn’t over the moon about Radiohead when those albums came out, because I was already listening to bands that were in the same vein. But they were still really good albums and I think they aged well. I think Thom Yorke really started to like the smell of his own farts and didn’t have anyone to tell him otherwise.
I don't know what 'objectively' is meant to be but i started with Hail to the Thief and find the Bends and OKC bit boring now. It could be they simply don't agree with your opinion/unintended irony. Love thom's solo things admittedly have found it more interesting than the last album of RH.
In Rainbows is their greatest album IMHO. That and Kid A and OKC are what I listen to most. The Bends was quality but looking back on where they went after it could well have been Stereophonics or Manic Street Preachers.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:01 am

jorri wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:10 pm
mcbrandt wrote:
I don't understand either. Take every local indie joke girl band and make it worse? I dont understand.
Same. As far as I can tell, the only reason we’re even writing about them is because they’re being pushed very hard; it seems some people with money decided that they might make a great cash cow. I’m not sure how much you can even really blame the band for it.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:22 am

mcbrandt wrote:
one of my work collegues was listening to them when i popped into the shop yesterday and.... i don't think i really "get" the joke. but they're being pushed SOOOO hard.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Emanuel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Emanuel » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:59 am

Same here (even in Switzerland), so or better way too much hype around that band before the album. My local record store posted a picture with at least ten copies of the record on the release day on IG - that says it all.
Apart from that I like their music an their choice of gear.

bluemonday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bluemonday » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:50 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:22 am
one of my work collegues was listening to them when i popped into the shop yesterday and.... i don't think i really "get" the joke. but they're being pushed SOOOO hard.
I'd never heard of them but a recommendation popped up on my Spotify account. They really are being pushed.

As far as musically conflicting, I've been contending with the Grateful Dead. Pretty weird, I know. I never had any interest in jam bands or hippie scenes, drugs and all that baggage I associate them with. But man...giving them a serious listen (finally, right? They are practically prehistoric) I'm kind of intrigued. Early in my musical life I was pretty steeped in lot of American roots music. The sort of thing that gets conflated into the Americana genre I suppose. Turns out I have a lot more in common with Jerry Garcia than I thought. It's a pretty fascinating musical stew especially if you know where they are coming from. So anyway, I'm trying to listen to those seminal first albums minus the prejudice and there is indeed a lot to appreciate.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:32 pm

I never even heard of Wet Leg until last night when I was reading this thread, and I’ve seen them promoted in four different places on the internet today already.

Re the Dead, I will occasionally put some on and think, “This is a great song, I wish a better band recorded it,” or, “I like this solo, I wish a better guitarist played it.” Take that as you will.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:35 pm

James Brown, awful awful human being but goddamn great music.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:40 pm

I guess I've been spending a lot of time with Sunny Day Real Estate, and I've come to conclude that about half their songs are great and the other half just ponderous.

Still, not a bad track record.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:36 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:40 pm
I guess I've been spending a lot of time with Sunny Day Real Estate, and I've come to conclude that about half their songs are great and the other half just ponderous.

Still, not a bad track record.
I'll say one thing, and it's that nobody can sing like Jeremy Enigk. He's incredible.

Gotta listen to this one until the end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FotlWHii16Y

And if you like Sunny Day and have never heard his first solo album, Return of the Frog Queen, it's totally different! And incredible! Yeah!
Local milk person