Tracks that make you cry

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tracks that make you cry

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:16 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:35 pm
shoule79 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:00 pm
Lol, I forgot that Emo Diaries was a thing. That’s where I first heard Benton Falls too.

Now I’m spinning the first Planes Mistaken for Stars ep…
Same here. I somehow managed to get a hold of their 'Guilt Beats Hate' record on LP not long after it came out and it's probably been on the turntable at least once a month ever since. A real forgotten gem. Planes Mistaken For Stars randomly played a dive bar here in the UK about 6 or 7 years ago....that was weird.

97-2002 was a great era to be in your late-teens/early 20s with regards music. Riot Grrrl, 3rd Wave emo, skatepunk, post-hardcore...lots of amazing stuff kicking about and the birth of the era of obscure music being more easily accessible thanks to the internet.
i was quite lucky in that i was a teen at the end of that era and had access to a lot of those releases in used record shops. i do actually like some of the next generation of emo/post-hardcore too. thursday are still great imho, alexisonfire kick a lot of ass and the first 2 MCR albums are basically "if thursday were bitten by vampires" which i love.

also there was the british post-hardcore scene which at the time, people called brit-rock. bands like reuben, yourcodenameis:milo, million dead, hell is for heroes, dananananakroyd..... ect ect. which was the stuff i was really into around that time and still love. shame at the time, all the media wanted was boybands with breakdowns.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:59 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:16 am

also there was the british post-hardcore scene which at the time, people called brit-rock. bands like reuben, yourcodenameis:milo, million dead, hell is for heroes, dananananakroyd..... ect ect. which was the stuff i was really into around that time and still love. shame at the time, all the media wanted was boybands with breakdowns.
A lot of those bands were from around where I live and the scene was so much fun when it was thriving. I know Jamie and Guy from Reuben quite well and two of the Hundred Reasons guys are clients of mine (although one is a crazy pre-covid anti-vaxxer so I've distanced myself from him). We all use the same rehearsal space here in Farnbrorough so crossing paths was a regular occurrence.

The scene here is pretty dead now though which is a shame - just a load of ageing hardcore dudes rehearsing for their 3 gigs a year :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:48 am

There are so many good, sentimental ones listed here that make perfect sense.

For me but it's often such dorky/on the nose stuff that gets me choked up for some reason. The sound of the Wurlitzer/melody in Joni's "Woodstock"... The melody in "Spanish Harlem"... weird little things like that. For fuck's sake ...when you're withouuuuuuut loooooovvve" what the fuck is wrong with me?

Oh and pretty much all of Richard Swift.
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:17 am

Upward Over The Mountain by Iron and Wine still gets me all these years later.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:21 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:35 pm
shoule79 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:00 pm
Lol, I forgot that Emo Diaries was a thing. That’s where I first heard Benton Falls too.

Now I’m spinning the first Planes Mistaken for Stars ep…
Same here. I somehow managed to get a hold of their 'Guilt Beats Hate' record on LP not long after it came out and it's probably been on the turntable at least once a month ever since. A real forgotten gem. Planes Mistaken For Stars randomly played a dive bar here in the UK about 6 or 7 years ago....that was weird.

97-2002 was a great era to be in your late-teens/early 20s with regards music. Riot Grrrl, 3rd Wave emo, skatepunk, post-hardcore...lots of amazing stuff kicking about and the birth of the era of obscure music being more easily accessible thanks to the internet.
I never got around to seeing Planes live. By the time Up in Them Guts came out i'd decided I didn't want to.

That was my late teens early 20's, I graduated high school in 98 and finished college in 03. The 90's as a whole were great. I once got to explain to my kids that the Butthole Surfers and Ween used to get mainstream radio play.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:47 pm

shoule79 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:21 pm

I never got around to seeing Planes live. By the time Up in Them Guts came out i'd decided I didn't want to.
I had never got the opportunity to in their early years. They didn't come to the UK much so took the chance. There's plenty of their catalogue that leaves me cold, and there's some problematic lyrics in there - deliberately jarring I assume - but I always liked the delivery. That guy's got some issues though.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:56 am

For fellow Dutchies, Spinvis can really get to me like nobody else. Spinvis - Jij Wint. I love that weird chord progression, I love that he chooses simply to repeat it several times (well, except for that short bridge). It's just that good. He's an amazing lyricist, and this is one of his finest. What's there to say? I found this song painfully beautiful when I first heard it. After cancer killed my uncle last year just months after his shock diagnosis, it became unbearably so.

Also, this one, especially after the refugee crisis in 2015.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:37 am

shoule79 wrote:
I once got to explain to my kids that the Butthole Surfers and Ween used to get mainstream radio play.
Yeah- I've had lots of conversations with my kids- Butthole Surfers, Virgin Prunes, Ween, Throbbing Gristle, King Missile?

I rejoiced when my kids were old enough to share the 'fun stuff' from my youth- particular highlights:

Taking Retards to the Zoo - The Dead Milkmen (Actually there are a LOT of TDM songs that make this list...)

Detachable Penis - King Missile

Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell

Hot Dog Hell - Old Skull

/thread derail - sorry - back to how I'm a sad old white guy:

A lot of the tracks on The National's High Violet album make me weep.

Sigur Ros - pretty much anytime a track from them hits my earholes...

Johnny Cash's versions of Hurt and The Mercy Seat.

That final radio single from Bowie...

Jeez I'm crying just thinking about this... at work. :fp: :'(

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:36 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:37 am
shoule79 wrote:
I once got to explain to my kids that the Butthole Surfers and Ween used to get mainstream radio play.
Yeah- I've had lots of conversations with my kids- Butthole Surfers, Virgin Prunes, Ween, Throbbing Gristle, King Missile?

I rejoiced when my kids were old enough to share the 'fun stuff' from my youth- particular highlights:

Taking Retards to the Zoo - The Dead Milkmen (Actually there are a LOT of TDM songs that make this list...)

Detachable Penis - King Missile

Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell

Hot Dog Hell - Old Skull
I forgot about King Missile! The kids love Detachable Penis, but my wife forbade most of to be played in the house. I blame the swearing in Martin Scorsese and the line in Ed that goes "Ed was at the end of his rope. That was a lie, there was no rope, only the end" for being too bleak.

My kids looked at me funny when I played Taking Retards and Stuart for them, so I haven't really exposed them to DM much yet.

Onto the real topic of the thread, songs set my mood, give me goosebumps, but never really cry per se. However, some songs with videos for the accompanying visuals have done the trick. Your Sigur Ros mention jogged my memory.

Sigur Ros - () Untitled #1 EP - Has videos for Untitled 1, Svefn g englar, and Vidrar vel til loftarasa. I get chills every time the bow comes in, but these videos all really hit me

U2 - All I want is you - Fellini-esque telling of the dwarf story from Freaks, gets me in the feels https://youtu.be/k0W_ybghFzg

Johnny Cash - Hurt - Numb to it after having seen it so much, but it really struck a chord the first few dozen times https://youtu.be/8AHCfZTRGiI

Beach House - Myth - Not an official video, but a fan made video with scenes from Paris Texas, and it made the whole movie come back all at once and seem even sadder - https://youtu.be/cfBmizHxJec. I think the same person did one of Modern Lovers Hospital, which hit me too, but couldn't find it.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:28 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:28 pm
Live Mariachi almost always makes me tear up- it's so filled with sorrow, joy, and history that it just kills me.

"Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me" by the Smiths usually pulls a tear or two out when the vocals hit.

About a third of the Cocteau Twins' library.

Several tracks from Dead Can Dance.

Jeez- I could go on, but I feel a bit soul-bare already.
Mariachi! I have a limited grasp of Spanish, but it certainly can make a person emotional

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:48 pm

Ace Frehley - Fractured Mirror 1. Reminds me always of this middle school girl who dumped me...the beginning of a long run of failed middle school relationships.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:00 am

XTC's "This World Over" always makes me misty.

There's a bunch of perfectly good songs from the mid 90s that make me bawl, but that's because I was listening to them whist I was in the middle of transition and divorce.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:49 am

I'm always happy when I come across a new song that will get me teary-eyed, it reminds me I'm not dead inside after all. Recent ones are:

Kinks - This Time Tomorrow
Yo La Tengo - Stupid Things
Hum - Shapeshifter

That Antlers album Hospice really hit me hard at times because some lyrics were exact thoughts I had whilst going through a divorce years prior. A few songs of the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind will still tear me up. That Simon and Garkunkel segue/combo of Old Friends and the Bookends Theme...

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:10 pm

Frank Ocean - Moon River

This cover always gets to me, especially towards the end.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:04 am

June by Idles always wrecks me, I don't have children but I can't imagine how it feels to lose one before their life has even begun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCORxrE ... nnel=IDLES
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen