I feel like nobody ever talks about Pere Ubu around here and I'm like, what's up?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: I feel like nobody ever talks about Pere Ubu around here and I'm like, what's up?

Post by Maggieo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm

dc wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:34 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:23 am
bassist Tony Maimone
He is a wonderful bassist
he was still in Pere Ubu when they toured with Pixies around 1990 or so. saw them a few times during that tour, and also saw him in Bob Mould's band around that same time. talked to him for a few minutes before one of those shows, seemed like a cool guy.

EDIT for memory jog: i think on that Mould tour, his backing band was Tony Maimone, Anton Fier and Chris Stamey ... it was the Husker Du, Pere Ubu and dB's all-stars 8)
Holy shit! That's The Golden Palominos!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

dc
Expat
Expat

Re: I feel like nobody ever talks about Pere Ubu around here and I'm like, what's up?

Post by dc » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm
dc wrote:
EDIT for memory jog: i think on that Mould tour, his backing band was Tony Maimone, Anton Fier and Chris Stamey ... it was the Husker Du, Pere Ubu and dB's all-stars 8)
:D could have been, for all the characters who appeared on those records at one time or another! you wouldn't expect Michael Stipe, John Lydon, Bernie Worrell, Richard Thompson, Henry Kaiser and Jack Bruce to all turn up on the same album, but then you have "Visions of Excess" .... plus Fier (of course) & Stamey!

that run of Palominos records from 1985-94 or so still rules. a couple years ago i got Amanda Kramer to sign my "Drunk with Passion" CD ... she seemed pretty delighted that someone still remembered. i was like, i listen to those albums all the time! (EDIT: and of course Mould appeared that record. what times those were.)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:55 am

dc wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:17 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm
dc wrote:
:D could have been, for all the characters who appeared on those records at one time or another! you wouldn't expect Michael Stipe, John Lydon, Bernie Worrell, Richard Thompson, Henry Kaiser and Jack Bruce to all turn up on the same album, but then you have "Visions of Excess" .... plus Fier (of course) & Stamey!

that run of Palominos records from 1985-94 or so still rules. a couple years ago i got Amanda Kramer to sign my "Drunk with Passion" CD ... she seemed pretty delighted that someone still remembered. i was like, i listen to those albums all the time! (EDIT: and of course Mould appeared that record. what times those were.)
"Visions of Excess" is in my top five albums, easy. Thompson just shreds.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.