Is the end here for the Cure?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is the end here for the Cure?

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Good points there.

And I agree with you... a lot of the cultural appropriation stuff really is stupid and embarrassing. People are supposed to adopt what they see from other cultures and always have. But now we have all this arbitrary bullshit that no one really can follow anyway- like, if you are an American, or a Mexican or a Japanese, have you ever eaten pizza? Surely you made sure that this pizza was made by nothing but an Italian owned business, right? Because otherwise you are a cultural imperialist pig.

But the main thing I am pointing out is that despite the holier than thou attitude we are seeing on this thread, every single person here has made value judgements against other people and always will.

Like I say, apparently that article is "There's No Such Thing As Bad Taste". Yet I'm being judged for having the bad taste of fat shaming old Robert Smith. And apparently Axl Rose's cornrows are also in bad taste despite the article confidently claiming "There's No Such Thing As Bad Taste".

I have yet to see anyone defend old Don Trump's combover, either.

I mean, it's one thing or the other, people. If there's really "no such thing as bad taste", then Axl's cornrows are fine, right? What is the possible objection? They aren't hurting or killing anyone. Why would we even discuss them since there's simply no standard by which they could be considered wrong?

For the record, I would never wear dreadlocks or cornrows since I would, in fact, have gotten that shit from black people and not, you know, Vikings. And I'm more than happy to step off black American culture since doing otherwise would, in fact, be fucking bad taste.

Because there absolutely is fucking bad taste.

This is the same reason I wouldn't play "Dust My Broom" and embarrass everyone with that shit.

But the idea that some people here are putting forth that my simply judging old Robert Smith for looking a fool because these people would never, ever, ever let a negative thought cross their mind about anyone else's appearance and actions is just ludicrous.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:36 pm

I mean, he paints a giant, outside the lines frown on his face in bright red lipstick, and I think that's undignified.

For anyone, of any age or size, anywhere on earth, at any point in time.
This is an excellent rectangle

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:14 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:05 am
i'm sorry to supposedly prevailing sociological consensus, but the weight of recent history negates a lot of these arguments; human exchange hasn't existed in such pure, clear-cut terms in a very long time.

and those power imbalances you've so easily shrugged off don't matter any less just because they aren't globally relevant (which is debatable).

the Axl Rose example of course isn't clear-cut; your definition says "...or uses something of another culture in an actually denigrating or derogatory way," which is fairly vague and up to personal interpretation, not especially unlike the debates over what constitutes harm over in the "Nevermind" thread. surely the black people who think cornrows are culturally appropriation are reliable narrators of their own harm, just as anyone else is; surely enough black people have called white adoption of black hairstyles a problem for it to be worth being considered as such.
Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:48 am
Because it really seems to me that there is a standard of bad taste, right? I mean you freely admit that Axl is acting in bad taste with his corn rows, right? You all seem to be really familiar with the concepts here, you just don't want them applied to a man you like.
the "bad taste" of Robert Smith's appearance being visually unappealing, and the "bad taste"of culture theft (whether you agree with my example or not) are not the same, and i truly hope you understand that.
Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:31 pm
But the idea that some people here are putting forth that my simply judging old Robert Smith for looking a fool because these people would never, ever, ever let a negative thought cross their mind about anyone else's appearance and actions is just ludicrous.
literally no one is saying that.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:58 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:14 pm

the "bad taste" of Robert Smith's appearance being visually unappealing, and the "bad taste"of culture theft (whether you agree with my example or not) are not the same, and i truly hope you understand that.
Of course I understand that. I just think that I'm being held to a standard that my critics don't hold themselves to, and when I am being faced with articles titled "There's No Such Thing As Bad Taste" I just have to kind of wonder what's up.

I mean, it can't be incredible to Robert Smith that his look doesn't please everyone. So I think it doesn't work for the guy. Big deal.

No one here has ever been married or anything? Shit, my wife has told me that various things I've worn and certain looks didn't work. Fuck, I'll tell you that there were times where I looked a fool, I had a ponytail for the love of God back in the day. Ripped acid washed jeans. Baseball cap and shit.

It happens, man.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:20 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:14 pm
i'm sorry to supposedly prevailing sociological consensus, but the weight of recent history negates a lot of these arguments; human exchange hasn't existed in such pure, clear-cut terms in a very long time.
You'd have to be pretty ignorant or dismissive of human history to think that recent history is different enough in terms of human exchanges that sociological consensus is wrong about this. Which just goes back to the western-centric conceit I mentioned.

Step outside of the Anglophone world, and your assumptions collapse.
This is an excellent rectangle

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:38 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:48 am
[...] I want it to be explained to me how this is not hypocrisy. [...]
Good catch. I tossed Axl on the fire deliberately to illustrate my own hypocrisy. :)
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Hey, on a lighter note, Robert Smith guests on a new CHVRCHES track and it’s pretty good. Not sure who had the writing credits but it’s a good song and a very classic Cure outro section.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:20 am

burpgun wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:22 pm
Hey, on a lighter note, Robert Smith guests on a new CHVRCHES track and it’s pretty good. Not sure who had the writing credits but it’s a good song and a very classic Cure outro section.
Yeh heard this a while ago…first half of the song is meh with a cheesy drum loop…but it’s like on the second half Robert takes over and it gets a lot better. Actually gave me chills…like it brought back memories of how good The Cure used to be…and that hasn’t happened for decades.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 am

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:20 am
burpgun wrote:
Yeh heard this a while ago…first half of the song is meh with a cheesy drum loop…but it’s like on the second half Robert takes over and it gets a lot better. Actually gave me chills…like it brought back memories of how good The Cure used to be…and that hasn’t happened for decades.
Maybe that's the way out... Smith joins up with them to form The CVRE. (And the tour on the nth anniversary of The Walk ep, etc.)

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:49 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:20 am
burpgun wrote:
Maybe there's some hope there for any future Cure output. CHVRCHES say Smith was pretty engaged with the track, would like to know if Smith did more than just sing. Says CHVRCHES dude: "The exchanges were surprising in that [Smith] is like super, super detailed and really technical. I don’t know why, but I assumed he would just be like, 'OK, here’s my stuff, do with it what you want and hope for the best.' But he was really hands-on with every aspect of how the mix ended up being – and we loved that because that’s exactly how we are as musicians as well." https://musicfeeds.com.au/features/chvr ... -violence/

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:23 am

I posted on this before, but I think Smith has a lot of great music left I in him. He needs to in my opinion retool the band or just take a break and do pure solo stuff. His look that he is holding on to is just bad, but maybe he likes it and gets comfort from this. It is also possible nobody wants to tell him this because they will get kicked off the money train. The shector guitars are weird and sorry Jason,,,,you always play too slow.

ALTHOUGH...there were some really good concert clips 2021 ??? That were pretty good. Simon should start a band with Pat Smear.

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:34 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:23 am
sorry Jason,,,,you always play too slow.
I noticed this too. I recall seeing them before & Smith motioning to him to pick up the tempo. I feel like the last few tours they played to a click. Not sure if it has to do with Jason playing too slow or locking the songs into the lights/videos. But even with the click a lot of the songs seem slow.
Also why do they make Roger play tambourine on old songs where he used to play keys (killing an arab/boys don't cry)?

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:00 pm

Very cumbersome , plodding tempos even on the faster stuff.....however on some concert clips recently it was faster. It just seems they lost the thread. This also happened to the Banshees, they just became plodding at the end. I say this as a fan and the cure played a big part of my life at one point. Same thing with Iron Maiden these days, uggggg.....everything played slow, slow no energy. Nico basically has only two beats,,,beat 1- that always on the ride cymbal in the galloping beat. Beat 2- not on the ride cymbal with the galloping beat.

Jason plays right on the beat but always plays so straight. Boris was a beast and played anything great. Even Andy Anderson who is a bit more of a session guy was close to Boris.

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:57 am

Nico has some cool fills, but Clive had more interesting beats.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:31 am

Plumerai wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:57 am
Nico has some cool fills, but Clive had more interesting beats.
YES