Is the end here for the Cure?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Is the end here for the Cure?

Post by burpgun » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:22 am

I saw multiple reports over the weekend that Simon Gallup quit the Cure under somewhat acrimonius terms--he alluded to some sort of betrayal. The man was with the band for decades, and while it's pretty clear the Cure's creative days are well behind it, I wonder what his exit means for the band's future. Is this finally the end of the road? Gallup was a pretty important part of their sound.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is the end here for the Cure?

Post by MKR » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:16 pm

does it matter? They should call it quits. Gallup should do a solo album and who knows it might surprise some people.

I am a huge cure fan, but i haven't listened to anything beyond wild mood swings. To me the cure ended many years ago.

I guess i am showing my age but to me the Cure at their best was when boris williams was in the band. That's the cure i grew up on. It's kind of hard to live up to the standard they set for themselves back then.

Same goes for the like minded Depeche Mode. They truly ended when Alan Wilder left them. Sure they put out some good songs here and there in the years after, but whatever they do now.... it just ain't the real thing anymore. The cure haven't really been the cure for a long time in my opinion.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:20 pm

I've enjoyed some of their stuff a lot and own several albums, but I have to admit that I didn't even know they were still together. I haven't heard a new song from them in the last 10 years at least, and the last time I heard a new Cure song that I genuinely liked was The Only One. Even then, the only reason I heard it was that I had a huge crush on a girl that was obsessed with them, so I made an active effort to catch up on their recent stuff at the time.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Christ...The Cure ended many years ago...what you see now is a parody, tribute show with a bunch of hired musicians and crew propping Robert Smith up for nothing more than money. Good on Simon for trying to call time..but I fear the touring machine will continue on no matter what..well apart from death or something.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm

I'm old enough to have been a fan of the Cure in their prime. The one and only time I saw them live was for the Disintegration tour. So yeah, they are decades past their peak, and I've never heard much of anything past Wish. Still, seemed like they were a pretty consistent live unit, and Robert Smith has been touting the imminent release of new music, so you never know, maybe they had a little life left in them.

Anyone know how they got so tied up with Schecter? Always seemed like an odd fit.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:03 pm
Christ...The Cure ended many years ago...what you see now is a parody, tribute show with a bunch of hired musicians and crew propping Robert Smith up for nothing more than money. Good on Simon for trying to call time..but I fear the touring machine will continue on no matter what..well apart from death or something.
This is one I struggle with. I don't like it when bands kick into legacy mode and just tour old songs, but it seems like it's hard to avoid that fate. Say what you want about U2, but they're like the rare top tier band that dodged that bullet until only recently. I have no desire to sit through a three hour show, but maybe Robert Smith just likes to get out there and play his songs? Gallup, the drummer and the keyboard dude have been in the band for quite some time, so who are the hired guns outside of Reeves Gabrels?

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Haven't bought anything from them since Wish, but I still go to the shows. Mainly because they're good about changing up the setlist & throwing in b sides.
Maybe Simon will reform Fools Dance or join Lol's band.

p.s. I really hate this Reeves guy in the lineup. It's like they added a Guitar Center element to the band.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:38 pm

Plumerai wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm
Haven't bought anything from them since Wish, but I still go to the shows. Mainly because they're good about changing up the setlist & throwing in b sides.
Maybe Simon will reform Fools Dance or join Lol's band.

p.s. I really hate this Reeves guy in the lineup. It's like they added a Guitar Center element to the band.
Reeves is an alum of some David Bowie projects including that weird Tin Machine project. He struck me as an odd fit for the Cure, even if they are in a play the hits stage.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:44 pm

Plumerai wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm
he has the Bowie-band pedigree, so i imagine that was persuasive for Robert when it came time to fill the second chair. i think he's generally been pretty respectful of the parts and sounds the audience expects to hear from the albums, but yes, he does wander afield sometimes. compare live versions of Never Enough – Porl wails like Hendrix, Gabrels goes all widdla-widdla :freako:

i am sorry if it's the end though. clearly a whole lot of people still enjoy seeing them live, and that should be enough reason for anyone. i'll paraphrase Simon LeBon here: if you've still got an audience, why waste your life? :)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 am

dc wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:44 pm
i am sorry if it's the end though. clearly a whole lot of people still enjoy seeing them live, and that should be enough reason for anyone. i'll paraphrase Simon LeBon here: if you've still got an audience, why waste your life? :)
well said. I've seen them twice in last couple of tours ... the really old stuff took me right back to the mid 80s in a great way and overall it was amazing both times.
live version of the song DISINTEGRATION is unbelievable.
Lol's book was great by the way..

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:52 am

whitewatersky wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 am
well said. I've seen them twice in last couple of tours ... the really old stuff took me right back to the mid 80s in a great way and overall it was amazing both times.
Lol was actually at the book store my wife worked at, walking distance from our house and I didn't go :fp: . Still regret that one.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 am

If this means we get a new Fools Dance record…

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:52 pm

It’s hit or miss live for past ten years....a lot of it is really still,good, and sometimes slow and plodding. I think bob needs to take a break ditch the schecter and go back to his jazz master. It’s not a new band, this line up has been around a while.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:21 pm

daemon wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:52 am
whitewatersky wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 am
Lol was actually at the book store my wife worked at, walking distance from our house and I didn't go :fp: . Still regret that one.
d'oh !!!!

chrisrnps
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisrnps » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:39 am

Interviews have been saying for some time that the forever-delayed new album will supposedly be one of the darkest and their last, so the end had been looming since before the rock hall of fame induction. Still, hard to get excited about the cure without Simon (any of the times he’s been out), Boris Thompson, and Porl. Or when they’ve toured without a keyboardist. 🤢
'Excellent! A little more practice will make you a regular whale. Now, if I may trouble you to unlace my back and front plates two holes more, I'll try that fascinating bend that you say is so easy. Won't Painted Jaguar be surprised!' ~ Rudyard Kipling