Can someone please explain worship music?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can someone please explain worship music?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:03 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:20 am
...intended to pull heart strings.
This right here is what makes me hate lots of music. There's nothing wrong with deliberately evoking emotion in an audience with music. Certain musical tropes make the music feel hacky and artificial, though. It feels like manipulation - they followed the formula, now you must feel. Maybe the P&W can't do it because they are somewhat bound by tradition. It's not just worship though. I remember hating when my daughter wanted to listen to the Moana soundtrack, because the main song she sang was one of those that sounded like it was trying too hard to push my "emote" button.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:34 pm

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:03 pm
jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:20 am
...intended to pull heart strings.
This right here is what makes me hate lots of music. There's nothing wrong with deliberately evoking emotion in an audience with music. Certain musical tropes make the music feel hacky and artificial, though. It feels like manipulation - they followed the formula, now you must feel. Maybe the P&W can't do it because they are somewhat bound by tradition. It's not just worship though. I remember hating when my daughter wanted to listen to the Moana soundtrack, because the main song she sang was one of those that sounded like it was trying too hard to push my "emote" button.
This is just an IMO, but I don't want religious music to "pull on my heart strings" or elicit a specific emotion, like a pop song does. I want to be transported to a place of awe and feel the presence of a higher power (being ecumenical here). Not everything is the Hallelujah Chorus, but if it gets close, I'm happy.

Also, I just don't trust the new pastor. :P
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:26 pm

This is just an IMO, but I don't want religious music to "pull on my heart strings" or elicit a specific emotion, like a pop song does. I want to be transported to a place of awe and feel the presence of a higher power (being ecumenical here). Not everything is the Hallelujah Chorus, but if it gets close, I'm happy.

Also, I just don't trust the new pastor. :P
One of my biggest lessons in worship music was given by Garcia. He said, "we know that if we play this song right after we play that song, it will really get the crowd going. Then, if we play something else, we have them 'eating out of our hands'. We don't want to do that, so we play something else."

That resonates with me as a musician and as a song leader in church.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 pm

I dunno. As a former choirboy, this just doesn't resonate with me.

But when we got it right, I felt like I was in Heaven. FWIW.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:12 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 pm

I guess I didn't say it well...

Because I think we are saying the same kind of thing.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:54 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:12 am
Maggieo wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 pm

I guess I didn't say it well...

Because I think we are saying the same kind of thing.
Gotcha!

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Doesn’t any one listen to Styper these days....the yellow and black attack.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:21 pm

In the garden of eden......worship music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDC1w1ydLI

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Phew, well I got to the end so I get to post.

The Looper Trio sound just like the Louvin Brothers to me but they don't sound as gritty without the alcoholism. I love the Louvin Brothers! (And the Cox Family.)

Just as there is bad and good pop music, there is bad gospel music from both sides of the Mason-Dixon. I love Shake it Off and Driver's License while still loving Aretha Franklin and Andrae Crouch.

I also used to be a choirboy and feel so downhearted walking past a local church where the singing is so stiff they're not even aware there's a beat and would clap on the 1 and 3 if they were excited enough.

Is Jeff Buckley's version of Benjamin Britten's Corpus Christi Carol worship music? I love that too!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:32 pm

DaddyDom wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 pm
I also used to be a choirboy and feel so downhearted walking past a local church where the singing is so stiff they're not even aware there's a beat and would clap on the 1 and 3 if they were excited enough.
That breaks my heart. :(

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:14 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:32 pm
DaddyDom wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 pm
The whole "1 and 3" thing with white audiences is such an interesting phenomenon to me. It's a small thing, but the result of complex interactions that can be explored through social psychology, sociology, psychoacoustics, music theory, and neurophysiology.

I also always think of Harry Connick Jr's "5/4 trick" for rhythmic displacement. The (white) audience is bopping along to the song, clapping inappropriately (for the style) on the 1 and 3, so when he gets to the solo, he throws a single bar of 5/4 into the 4/4 song. White audiences tend to feed off each other more so than the musician onstage (which is why large crowds often speed up or slow down, and can become completely desynchronized from the music), so they end up being shifted by the 5/4 to clapping on the 2 and 4.

A cute little detail in the video is that you can see the drummer's hands at the 45 second mark, as he's doing a double fist-pump in celebration of the successful rhythmic displacement Harry just pulled off.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:10 pm

I've seen that vid, and it's magic.

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:57 pm

[/quote]
[/quote]

Mine too because I feel get higher on their music than they do and they believe it way more than I do.
Ain't we weird!?

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:59 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm
Doesn’t any one listen to Stryper these days....the yellow and black attack.
I haven't heard of any churches this century that play hair metal. They're not really 'worship' music anyway. As for listening to them for recreation, most 40/50-something Christian dads don't get to listen to their own choice of music, but I'm sure they would if they could