Can someone please explain worship music?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can someone please explain worship music?

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:58 am

Futuron wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:59 am
budda12ax7 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm
Doesn’t any one listen to Stryper these days....the yellow and black attack.
I haven't heard of any churches this century that play hair metal. They're not really 'worship' music anyway. As for listening to them for recreation, most 40/50-something Christian dads don't get to listen to their own choice of music, but I'm sure they would if they could
I'm pretty sure there is such a thing. I think Sanctuary Church is a "metal church".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlccbkM9T4
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:51 am

I was forced to go to a small mainline rural church until I was 18. We just had a choir of old ladies and a couple of old dudes who got roped into it. I remember when the church upgraded its organ and spent a ton of money on it. Sounded terrible and I came out of the experience feeling nothing for that strain of church music, it was just grease for the gears of the service. But in retrospect, I feel better about what went on there when I see all these mega churches putting on their version of Zoo TV, which I assume they make as entertaining as possible in a bid to get asses in the pews and collect that cash and keep the pastors in luxury.

Not exactly church music, but I also had to go to youth group and we caught a 1980s Amy Grant concert. I was at that stage full tilt metal kid and was totally freaked out by that. Everyone was holding hands, arms around each other, singing the songs with Amy. It was so positive and uplifting and inclusive and at that age I could not have been more repelled. I've got kids now and struggle with a lot of the pop culture stuff they see so I now sort of appreciate the vibe at the Amy Grant show, but no way would I ever want to be at a Christian rock concert ever again.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:14 pm

Futuron wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:59 am
budda12ax7 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm
Doesn’t any one listen to Stryper these days....the yellow and black attack.
I haven't heard of any churches this century that play hair metal. They're not really 'worship' music anyway. As for listening to them for recreation, most 40/50-something Christian dads don't get to listen to their own choice of music, but I'm sure they would if they could

Well played sir

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:56 am

so based on a comment someone made, me and my bandmate have been playing "worship or not" when we look through instragram's pedalboard hashtag. it's quite fun because you do notice the telltale signs quite quickly.

btw, during the main part of covid, were a lot of those mega churches open?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:22 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:56 am
Some were, either because they were in states / locations whose guidelines were not as strict or because they sued to get special exclusion from the rules because religion.

The majority, though, appear to have seen the proverbial light and broadcast their services online.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:34 am

Not in Australia, as far as I know. Churches were closed to the public (like most things), with services online-only. Streaming/Zoom/pre-recorded etc, with a skeleton crew allowed to run the 'show'. When things started to open back up after a few months, there were capacity or density restrictions, varying by state. There certainly wasn't 1000 people in a room anywhere. I'm sure it was different elsewhere...

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:56 am
so based on a comment someone made, me and my bandmate have been playing "worship or not" when we look through instragram's pedalboard hashtag. it's quite fun because you do notice the telltale signs quite quickly.

I think that was me.

Some mega churches were definitely trying to be open and some openly defied restrictions on mass gatherings.

I think with our “separation of church and state” laws and cultural attitudes cracking down at a mass gathering at a church is different than doing it at a venue, theater, sports arena, etc… even when the potential public heath impact is the same.