Can someone please explain worship music?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can someone please explain worship music?

Post by jakeisjake » Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 am

Veitchy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 pm

So are they primarily performing covers of original Christian music, rearranged traditional numbers, or a mix? (probably answered my own question, but).
There is a data base of music called CCLI (Christian Copyright License...) if the song is in the data base it is covered by your license (the cost of the license is based on congregation size). Depending on your level of license, it covers songs played live, the written music the musicians use, paper/digital display of lyrics for people to sing to, and if you stream. It's pretty pricey...ours costs about $300+ a year. Songs in the public domain (older hymns and self written songs) do not need to be covered by the license and can be used without cost). You are required to be a reporting church every couple of years and report all of your usage to keep track of royalties.

There are some songs that become very popular and most churches play them regularly. You can call them "covers". We often re-write hymns (either write completely new music, or just change the original music up a bit)...we also play songs we write. Other churches do the same...and, of course, the bigger churches arrangements become quite popular.
Veitchy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 pm

That seems like some serious kit to hand over to volunteers. Not saying that volunteers are inherently inexperienced, or likely to break/mess up the rig, but if you're investing that much in your sound system wouldn't you want to ensure a consistent degree of quality in the end product?

Is this why a lot of worship guitarists in particular (at least the ones who talk about it on TGP and the like) seem to like higher-end gear? So that it matches the overall level of the setup of the house of worship?
Most large churches have paid staff and also pay their musicians. But, I think, many church musicians are hobbyists who now have an outlet...or, they played in bands when they were younger and stopped once they married and had kids.
Last edited by jakeisjake on Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 am

Ceylon wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:03 am
I've noticed this trend being mentioned here and there without really catching the scope of just how big it seems to be. No church I've ever been in has had drums, bass or guitar. Is worship as a genre a relatively new phenomenon, and what should I listen to to get the gist of what it's meant to be?
Many churches remain traditional (to whatever degree they choose)...if you are familiar with Catholic, Orthodox or mainline Protestant churches, they probably wouldn't be playing this stuff...it is mostly done in Evangelical settings.

If you wanted to listen to some music, go on YouTube and search for Hillsong or Jesus Culture...
Ceylon wrote:

It was mentioned here that a worship board does more or less the same things as a shoegaze-board, and I've just deduced that the genre is all about angelic/ethereal soundscapes, which I can imagine goes great with a service that wishes to capture some sort of transcendence. But is this correct or even in the ballpark?
I think it is somewhat shoegazey...and I think you captured the idea of what the sound is in that second paragraph. It is totally (and I don't mean this in a completely negative way) "creating an environment"...setting a scene...making people feel something. It is a mix of performance and heartfelt sentimentality. It can be manipulative and cheesey...but it can also be engaging and effective. I think it's somewhat silly...but I'm an old, crusty guy. But my kids think it's pretty silly, too.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue May 18, 2021 5:09 am

I should mention, too, that there are numerous "worship tutorials" on YouTube that have "behind the scenes" views (and listens) of what happens in the services.

Many larger churches have a music director that sits in the sound booth cueing the band via in ear monitors about what is happening. There is also a program called "Ambleton" (I think?) that "fills in the holes" of your band (no bass? Use the program!)...I'm not a big fan. Right now our kids are home from college, so they play with the band. But when they are away (most of the year) it's just me and another singer/guitar player. We've chosen not to use any of that kind of stuff...I'll switch instruments to change things up some...

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:20 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 am
It's pretty pricey...ours costs about $300+ a year.
The equivalent ASCAP license is $355 for 200+ and $640 for 500+ ($713 and $1334, respectively, if you include streaming). Just for comparison’s sake…

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 18, 2021 10:07 am

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:09 am
God likes transparent overdrive and the Strymon Big Sky. Play it for him weekly or burn in the eternal flames.

If your overdrive colors the amp's sound you will be struck down and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Don't forget your PRS AAA top!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Ovibos
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ovibos » Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 am

Despite the title, Adam Neely does his usual good musical analysis here: https://youtu.be/hACUz4WVWwk

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue May 18, 2021 1:27 pm

fever606 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:20 am
jakeisjake wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 am
It's pretty pricey...ours costs about $300+ a year.
The equivalent ASCAP license is $355 for 200+ and $640 for 500+ ($713 and $1334, respectively, if you include streaming). Just for comparison’s sake…
wow, thanks!

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue May 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Ovibos wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 am
Despite the title, Adam Neely does his usual good musical analysis here: https://youtu.be/hACUz4WVWwk
This is very interesting. I'm only a few minutes in, but he's making great points. The idea of being simple because you want people to sing along is valid. If things are too complicated, people will choose to listen (altho, it's conversely true that if it's too simple people will be bored).

There's a guy named John Michael Talbot who eschewed CCM for a vocation as a Franciscan monk. He still makes music by himself (mostly) playing a classical guitar. He says he purposely plays very complicated chords and makes them sound very simple...this satisfies his own need for complexity, while still honoring the Franciscan emphasis on simplicity.

Edit:

In the second part, I think he misses his own point. The point of worship music is worship. That's "musicked" element. It is meant to be participated in in a certain way...that's different than one would with "worldly" music. I've been a deadhead since I was a kid (pre Christian). I love the jam...I can get lost in it...there are times of ecstasy...I maybe even "feel the presence of God"...But, sincerely, it is a very different experience than "musicking" in a worship setting is.

I think his criticism of Don Moen's criticism is partially correct. I think even Moen would agree with that partially correct portion. There should be a joy in worship music and players should love to play. I understand what Moen is saying, because I understand his culture. You might liken what he is saying to "we don't want show offs who seek to draw attention to themselves".

At the end he gives another criticism of worship music that I understand, but disagree with...I don't blame him for saying it, tho. If I sang a song about how much I love my wife, on some levels you would understand it, because you've been in love before and know the feeling. But if, in the song, I referenced particular things about her physical beauty or her emotional make up or some other aspect that is unique to her, you wouldn't get it, because you don't know her...at least not in the way I know her. So it is with worship music. I suppose one cannot relate to the experience unless one has had that experience.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm
I'm kind of with Hank on this one. :ph34r:
Hank Hill is a goddamn philosopher.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed May 19, 2021 7:07 am

The only god I worship is Kevin Shields.

But I have heard there is another....

https://ibb.co/vcjdYzv

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat May 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Ceylon wrote:
I've noticed this trend being mentioned here and there without really catching the scope of just how big it seems to be. No church I've ever been in has had drums, bass or guitar. Is worship as a genre a relatively new phenomenon, and what should I listen to to get the gist of what it's meant to be?

It was mentioned here that a worship board does more or less the same things as a shoegaze-board, and I've just deduced that the genre is all about angelic/ethereal soundscapes, which I can imagine goes great with a service that wishes to capture some sort of transcendence. But is this correct or even in the ballpark?
It’s new and not new. The fastest growing entity in the Christian church today is Pentecostalism which got its roots in the mid 19th century. Arguably elsewhere but, for our focus, we will reign it in on the current developments. Pentecostalism was/is less liturgical and less conforming to the other denominations at the time. With fewer bindings to the status-quo, these groups emerged with a different style of their approach. Christian music started changing more radically during the 60s on the back of all the other free spirited revolutions that were happening at the time. While many Protestant churches held fast to their traditional ways, the more liberal pentecostal movement embraced much of the changes. Hence, why not all Protestant churches embrace the worship scene.

You’re also correct on the worship boards. One of my biggest complaints is that there’s often a lack of flavor within worship guitarists. Everyone has the same junk. It’s all expensive. There’s definitely less “sludge”. You don’t see a lot of quirky vintage gear or fuzz and the like. Some exceptions apply.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm

The Joel Osteen band sells millions...lots of merch

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:26 am

it's post-rock combined with contemporary christian for people who like the idea of playing music like explosions in the sky but also think it's a little too edgy. i actually have a friend who plays in a worship band and even he makes that joke.

you'll never see more expensive pedalboards playing basic chord progressions in your life. because the lord says you need a $500 reverb...... there's only one lord i obey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0vGmHs3NE
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 pm

I would not put this down...you get to play every sunday and practice during the week....cool.