Guitar + violin/viola/cello

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Guitar + violin/viola/cello

Post by invisible man » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:07 am

I’m starting a playlist for songs with guitar + violin, viola or cello. Such a powerful combination of instruments. Starting with a few Velvets tunes, proceeding to Fairport Convention, Dirty Three, etc... I’ve added some albums I know have this instrument combo, but maybe not on every song, so I have to go back and edit out any tracks without string parts while listening through as I can’t remember right now. Not in a specific order, as I just have a free account so shuffle mode is locked in. Distinct from symphonic backing arrangements, more as a solo voice or small string section in a rock or folk ensemble. Maybe a string quartet would be the max to include? Always wanted to play in a band with this instrumentation, not had the opportunity yet. I feel like I am leaving out a whole bunch of stuff, and want to hear more I don’t know yet. Please contribute (public playlist, collaboration open):

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6uWi ... Fi3tkmmbPA

Obviously Spotify doesn’t have everything and kinda sucks, but it is a place to start sometimes. Include other links below.
Last edited by invisible man on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guitar + violin/viola/cello

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:53 am

I won't pollute your playlist with music from centuries past since I think it would be out of place and not what others are looking for, but I just wanted to say that the pairing of plucked and bowed strings has always been among my favourites, and both players and composers have been taking advantage of their complimentary properties for as long as those instruments have existed.

This interpretation of Toccata Arpeggiata by Kapsberger for theorbo, violin and viola da gamba is just magical.

If you're not up on your baroque instruments, the theorbo is essentially a bass lute, the violin of the era was built and played a bit differently, and the viola da gamba could more or less be called a fretted 6-string cello. The whole viol family sadly went extinct, but they were lovely instruments.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:53 am
I won't pollute your playlist with music from centuries past since I think it would be out of place and not what others are looking for, but I just wanted to say that the pairing of plucked and bowed strings has always been among my favourites, and both players and composers have been taking advantage of their complimentary properties for as long as those instruments have existed.

This interpretation of Toccata Arpeggiata by Kapsberger for theorbo, violin and viola da gamba is just magical.

If you're not up on your baroque instruments, the theorbo is essentially a bass lute, the violin of the era was built and played a bit differently, and the viola da gamba could more or less be called a fretted 6-string cello. The whole viol family sadly went extinct, but they were lovely instruments.
I’be dabbled in listening to some baroque music (Bach, Downland), but am not super well-versed. I would hardly call it pollution, always eager to learn more music and especially see the connections across centuries and cultures. I was watching a freshly uploaded Pentangle live performance from the early 70s on their YouTube channel, Bert Jansch introduces a song as a 13th century rock and roll tune. Richard Thompson’s 1,000 Years Of Popular Music was so awesome. I saw the recent YouTube feature on the theorbo, so fascinating. It’s like a baroque Bass VI!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 pm

invisible man wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 pm
I’be dabbled in listening to some baroque music (Bach, Downland), but am not super well-versed. I would hardly call it pollution, always eager to learn more music and especially see the connections across centuries and cultures. I was watching a freshly uploaded Pentangle live performance from the early 70s on their YouTube channel, Bert Jansch introduces a song as a 13th century rock and roll tune. Richard Thompson’s 1,000 Years Of Popular Music was so awesome. I saw the recent YouTube feature on the theorbo, so fascinating. It’s like a baroque Bass VI!
What I meant is that someone enjoying some Velvet Underground on a playlist probably doesn't want Kapsberger coming on next. Most people probably have more era/mood-specific preferences than that :D

Dowland is actually a transitional late Renaissance composer whose life technically overlapped with the birth of the Baroque era, but his compositional style was never Baroque. He pretty much defined the late Renaissance style in his corner of Europe.

Speaking of "13th century rock songs," there are a few Kapsberger tunes that sound bizarrely ahead of their time. If you told me Già risi was written in the 60's by an Italian Paul Simon, I'd have believed it, but the song is about 300 years old. His French contemporary Robert de Visée has a Chaconne whose first movement opens with a riff that sounds like you could play it on a steel-string guitar with a pick and use for a new song today.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 pm
invisible man wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 pm
What I meant is that someone enjoying some Velvet Underground on a playlist probably doesn't want Kapsberger coming on next. Most people probably have more era/mood-specific preferences than that :D

Dowland is actually a transitional late Renaissance composer whose life technically overlapped with the birth of the Baroque era, but his compositional style was never Baroque. He pretty much defined the late Renaissance style in his corner of Europe.

Speaking of "13th century rock songs," there are a few Kapsberger tunes that sound bizarrely ahead of their time. If you told me Già risi was written in the 60's by an Italian Paul Simon, I'd have believed it, but the song is about 300 years old. His French contemporary Robert de Visée has a Chaconne whose first movement opens with a riff that sounds like you could play it on a steel-string guitar with a pick and use for a new song today.
Your assumption would probably be correct in most cases, but I may be an exception. I thought about including classical, jazz, etc... in my playlist thesis, but made the same assumption you did. Thank you for schooling me on Dowland’s stylistic attribution and spelling. Those tunes you linked to are great, agreed on all counts.

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:27 am

Don't use spotify, but here's a link:
Nirosta Steel w/ Arthur Russell - Foxy Pup
Arthur Russell is likely to have some guitar somewhere, as well. My mind draws blank..

Was a big fan of Dirty three, should really revisit them.

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:36 am

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:19 am

How do you feel about another plucked, fretted chordophone - the banjo - with cello?

The Dead South is a Canadian bluegrass band who do really cool things with a cello, like this.

dj89
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dj89 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:22 pm

I mean I guess you have Nirvana - stuff Something In The Way, All Apologies, plenty of indie bands with some small string sections (MGMT have them pop up, The Last Shadow Puppets, Fleet Foxes (Mearcstapa), Radiohead etc..., early St. Vincent, and guys like Scott Walker who used more than a quartet worth of strings but not in a cheesy Roy Orbison's vocal recordings with the London Symphony Orchestra doing OTT cheese arrangements)

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:25 am

Yeah I don't use shatify either but this needs to be mentioned if it hasn't already. x)

The Frames - Fitzcarraldo
If OSG has tort me anything...

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 am

Telegraph Melts from Arlington, VA was cello and guitar with occasional percussion...

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am

Locals on the Provo scene Searching for Celia had a little splash with their take on blending rock with strings... no vocals- the lead was taken by the string section, backed up by a post-rock band. Turned out some great cinematic-sounding tunes.

Linky-linky: https://searchingforcelia.bandcamp.com/album/white-flag