Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by soggy mittens » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 am

Image
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1457
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 am
Location: east london

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by FrankRay » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:13 am

I can't think of a single band I've ever liked that didn't continually evolve. From the Beatles to Radiohead, if they're not constantly changing they're going backwards. I mean, why would any play this rather than Little Fury Things?? And has J listened to absolutely anything between then and now except Neil Young????? It just feels so pointless.

User avatar
mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Location: Walnut Creek

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by mcbrandt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:15 pm

FrankRay wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:13 am
I can't think of a single band I've ever liked that didn't continually evolve. From the Beatles to Radiohead, if they're not constantly changing they're going backwards. I mean, why would any play this rather than Little Fury Things?? And has J listened to absolutely anything between then and now except Neil Young????? It just feels so pointless.
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. Are you saying that Dinosaur Jr's sound hasn't changed since the 80s and all that J has listened to in that entire span of time is Neil Young?

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6755
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm

soggy mittens wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 am
Image
^ J looks a lot younger without the hair/beard.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:33 pm

Seeing more and more of his dad in him these days?

Donasaur Sr.
Image

Image
Last edited by soggy mittens on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:23 am
Location: The Hague, the Netherlands

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by Nick and the Noise » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 am

His dad at least has 2 women. The last time J. talked about any girl was about his breakup in the '92 documentary "The Year Punk Broke". *

* Based entirely on fantasy and speculation

User avatar
Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by Nevets » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:46 am

I though J was married to some swedish model?

User avatar
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5513
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:44 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 am

Nevets wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:46 am
I though J was married to some swedish model?
His wife is German, and I think she influenced his car choices as VW dealer in MA posted a picture of J with his new Golf R, not a car I would expect J to buy. I can't see J driving fast.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by mbene085 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 am
not a car I would expect J to buy. I can't see J driving fast.
Depends whether he drives like he speaks/sings, or drives like he plays a guitar solo.

I bet he's either doing 40 in an 80 zone, or going 80 in a 40 zone, swerving all over the road and taking out mailboxes as children dive for cover.

User avatar
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 am
Location: middle of somewhere

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by soggy mittens » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 am

J's enthusiasm on Lou's new song Garden is super infectious. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu0_TOybRx0

Also this song is amazing. :)
If OSG has tort me anything...

User avatar
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5513
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:44 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:50 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 am
J's enthusiasm on Lou's new song Garden is super infectious. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu0_TOybRx0

Also this song is amazing. :)
Has Lou ever played guitar on a Dino song in the past?

Also, I hate how masks are politicized. Now I read too far into it, is Murph and insurectionist? And you always know how there are going to be comments on the video how this is all a plandemic and that when they look back at this video they will feel like idiots.

User avatar
mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Location: Walnut Creek

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by mcbrandt » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Why do I find this album pretty mediocre? All of the reviews are overly positive about it and that's great cause I like that they'll get paid, but I'm not really feeling it at all. What does everyone else think about it now that it's out?

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by Veitchy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:55 pm

cpeck wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:04 am
The album leaked a month ago or so — some serious jams on there. I can’t really hear a lot of KV on there personally outside of a few leads that sound less improvised.
From what I've read, Kurt was meant to be more heavily involved before the pandemic kicked off. The plan was to have him playing a lot more lead, and apparently they wanted to do a Thin Lizzy style dueling lead thing on a few tracks. As it happened he laid down a few acoustic tracks that are layered under the electrics and that's as far as they got. J finished off the guitars himself, as well as the keys.

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by tune_link » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 am

mcbrandt wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Why do I find this album pretty mediocre? All of the reviews are overly positive about it and that's great cause I like that they'll get paid, but I'm not really feeling it at all. What does everyone else think about it now that it's out?
You aren't alone in that. I would consider myself a pretty die hard Dino fan too. I came in when Where You Been Came Out and then got You're Living All Over Me and was hooked back in 1993. So far the only things J has done that I don't care for are the 2nd Fog album, Free So Free, and his solo records. That being said I do feel like we're reaching some kind of weird diminishing returns on the reunion albums maybe. I was HUGE into Beyond and Farm but each one after that I feel is a little less interesting than the one before.

This one....there's something about it and I want to say it's the production. It feels like the guitars max out at like 7 rather than the usual full on 10 or 11. The one song with the piano stuff in it is my least fav Dino track next to that "Stuck a Toe In" from I Bet On Sky and yet it was a single. It sounds twee in the worst way possible. I say that as someone who really loves old Belle & Sebastian and was big into twee (Softies, Go Sailor, Doleful Lions kind of shit etc) that song is not for me. I admittedly don't like Kurt Vile so maybe that's part of it. His duets record with Courtney Barnett is maybe the only thing he's done that held my interest. The idea of them doing dual lead solos does sound pretty fascinating though.

**I should probably clarify that I don't hate this album or anything but it definitely didn't grab me like I expected it to do.

User avatar
mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Location: Walnut Creek

Re: Dinosaur Jr. - I Ran Away

Post by mcbrandt » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am

tune_link wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 am
mcbrandt wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Why do I find this album pretty mediocre? All of the reviews are overly positive about it and that's great cause I like that they'll get paid, but I'm not really feeling it at all. What does everyone else think about it now that it's out?
You aren't alone in that. I would consider myself a pretty die hard Dino fan too. I came in when Where You Been Came Out and then got You're Living All Over Me and was hooked back in 1993. So far the only things J has done that I don't care for are the 2nd Fog album, Free So Free, and his solo records. That being said I do feel like we're reaching some kind of weird diminishing returns on the reunion albums maybe. I was HUGE into Beyond and Farm but each one after that I feel is a little less interesting than the one before.

This one....there's something about it and I want to say it's the production. It feels like the guitars max out at like 7 rather than the usual full on 10 or 11. The one song with the piano stuff in it is my least fav Dino track next to that "Stuck a Toe In" from I Bet On Sky and yet it was a single. It sounds twee in the worst way possible. I say that as someone who really loves old Belle & Sebastian and was big into twee (Softies, Go Sailor, Doleful Lions kind of shit etc) that song is not for me. I admittedly don't like Kurt Vile so maybe that's part of it. His duets record with Courtney Barnett is maybe the only thing he's done that held my interest. The idea of them doing dual lead solos does sound pretty fascinating though.

**I should probably clarify that I don't hate this album or anything but it definitely didn't grab me like I expected it to do.
Funny, I actually like Free So Free and his second solo album. I think Farm is my favorite reunion album. Actually, yesterday I was listening to Give a Glimpse expecting to be meh about it, but this time around I was like 'this album is actually okay'. I don't know if that's because I'm comparing it to the new one or what.

I guiltily like some Kurt Vile, though it's total Dad Rock. At least his most recent one, he uses the Optigan on it a lot. I also like the track Wheelhouse, but maybe cause for the past year or so I've been really into long droney type songs.

Post Reply