Creeper Lagoon

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Creeper Lagoon

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:29 pm

a bunch of years ago I found a EP CD in a bargain bin by a band called "On the Speakers". I bought it (because it was .50c) because of the design of the CD booklet itself. It was cardboard and had no jewel case. I thought it was neat.

I ended up loving the music. My kids did, too.

Somehow I was able to get those songs on my phone...they aren't available on Itunes (or anywhere else as far as we can tell). My kids were always disappointed that they can't get it on their phones...but, they had the CD in their car. In early December they totalled the car (all three kids were in it, but no one was hurt). They towed the car away and the next day we went to the wrecker yard to clean out the car. Several weeks later we were driving near the wrecker yard and my son got this look of shock on his face..."Dad! the 'On the Speakers' CD was in the CD player!!!"

Drag.

But he went on an earnest search for their music and somehow found these guys...It's quite obvious it's some of the same people. It's great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFOBjeHJQo

BTW...If anyone has a clue how to get those "On the Speakers" songs (that are still on my phone) to their phones...I'd appreciate you letting me know.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Creeper Lagoon

Post by ElephantDNA » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Yeah! Great band - didn't do too well, unfortunately. They kind of got stuck in major label purgatory where they don't own their masters, but the stuff isn't popular enough for whoever owns the licensing now to bother releasing. Unfortunately it's a bit like credit collection agencies - the publishers like to hold these tapes ransom for large sums that most bands can't afford, knowing that the artists want this material and will overpay for it because it's theirs.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Really liked this band in the late 90’s/early 2000s. I still pull out I Become Small And Go regularly.

Their bid for major label success Take Back The Universe was utterly ruined by the mastering. Done by Bob Ludwig no less. Loud to the point of being painful. That was peak Volume Wars™️, so I suppose a lot of music was like that and it’s unlikely to have hurt them commercially, but still... I bought the record just to see if it’s more tolerable on vinyl and it is, but not by a lot. What a stupid time that was for recorded music.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:56 pm
Really liked this band in the late 90’s/early 2000s. I still pull out I Become Small And Go regularly.

Their bid for major label success Take Back The Universe was utterly ruined by the mastering. Done by Bob Ludwig no less. Loud to the point of being painful. That was peak Volume Wars™️, so I suppose a lot of music was like that and it’s unlikely to have hurt them commercially, but still... I bought the record just to see if it’s more tolerable on vinyl and it is, but not by a lot. What a stupid time that was for recorded music.
Yeah I did a record that ended up kind of like that at that time (I dunno that's what the engineers were pushing everyone to do). It's been requested to be part of a compilation and I'm just like wincing at putting it back out there because of how crazy compressed it sounded.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:38 pm

marqueemoon wrote:

Still have that album, can't listen to it for long for that reason.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:15 pm

shoule79 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:38 pm
marqueemoon wrote:

Still have that album, can't listen to it for long for that reason.
Yeah. I like a lot of the songs, but it gives me an almost instant headache.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:29 pm
Hey, is this the album?

Is your phone an iPhone? Do you still have those songs on your iTunes?

Yup, it's definitely the same group, check the telecaster.

Maybe an early birthday/Christmas present? Midwinters house warming? :D
Jesus

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks, Nick!

I ordered it! My kids will be stoked!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:55 pm

thisisnickpaige wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 am

yes, I have the songs on my Itunes...we have the family share plan, too. but for some reason they can't access it (unless we get some other program that costs even more...of course).
Last edited by jakeisjake on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:17 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:55 pm
thisisnickpaige wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 am

yes, I have the songs on my Itunes...we have the family share plan, too. but for some reason they can't access it (unless we get some other program that costs even more...of course).
you can also use a third party program to rip the tracks from your phone. there are several for each OS. if it's in your itunes you could also upload the tracks to dropbox for them or something.