how has your music listening been since the pandemic?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: how has your music listening been since the pandemic?

Post by Mad-Mike » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Honestly, since the Pandemic hit, not much has really changed, except I'm currently not in a band anymore as far as I can tell, nobody has really reached out to talk since COVID hit last year. That's just caused me to stop searching out new music.

I actually don't spend a lot of time searching for new things as I feel like I've kind of exhausted and by proxy turned myself into a quasi-expert on the genres I used to hang out in 24/7/365. 90% of my musical focus as of late has been on a sort of "Musician Instagram" called BandLab. TBH, that's why I'm not on the forums much anymore, too busy creating anywhere and everywhere Inspiration strikes.

BandLab really came before the pandemic but I've been using that to challenge myself as a musician by tossing my guitar work and bass work into genres I'd otherwise not be interested in all the while creating the music I hear in my head that I want to hear realized - some of it for decades. I've been doing rap, hip hop, jazz, blues, punk, r&b, and so fourth - and then doing all my usual New Wave, Post-Punk, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock stuff in between. I end up liking the results so much that's all I ever listen to much of anymore, save for maybe some New Retro Wave on YouTube periodically.

I did however get into a little bit of a Van-Halen kick for a few months there when Edward Passed away but 90% of the time I'm just listening to myself and an army of other Bandlab people like Th@t Sh1T or chrisondabeat whom I sometimes fork their recordings from time to time with my own parts. In lieu of playing live, which I sorely miss doing, this is probably the next best thing. Well, that and I'm starting to kind of do things with my YouTube Channel though the guitar stuff is slow to get done.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 pm

It has changed things in that I'm now working at home rather than in a shared office, so no more democracy for the music at work. I will definitely get in a (welcome) rut and listen to some albums on repeat for a good part of the day. (Lots more instrumental / ambient stuff, and much more punk from my youth as well). Also, pretty much zero time in the car changes things, too.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:23 pm

mostly on spotify and vinyl, mostly shoegaze and broadcast sounding stuff with sprinkles of sonic youth or blonde redhead for the last year i'd say. I've had long periods with Spectres and Dreamdecay and recently gotten into weyes blood heavily.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

HedonismBot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HedonismBot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 am

I’d say that I listen to more music now than I have been in the last few years before the pandemic. Definitely been hanging out at home and using my computer more than usual so it makes sense. Anyway, for me it’s been a mix of: 1) revisiting the music that I was really into when I was younger and then took a long break from; 2) Revisiting / discovering the work of the musicians that passed away last year; 3) Forcing myself to explore the genres that are new to me.

1) In my late teens / early 20s, I was a huge Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr. fan. Had a burn out at some point and got into post-hardcore (Fugazi, Lungfish, etc), post-punk (Wire, the Fall, etc.), and stoner doom (Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Acid King...). Later got into psychedelic rock, post-rock, math rock. Also went through a proto-punk and hardcore punk phase. Long story short, being young and idealistic, I was trying to intentionally steer away from mainstream music. Partly this was me trying to impress my buddies that played in bands lol. I don’t regret my musical journey as I discovered some amazing bands that I still enjoy listening to. But being in my 30s now, I realize that a lot of this snobbism about mainstream music was just the childish crap in my head. Who cares anyway (gasp). I’ve been on a Nirvana kick lately and it’s an interesting experience: Now, years later, I see Kurt and his music from a different, more human (not pink lens) perspective. Oh man. That last year or so of his life was just heartbreaking. And it wasn’t easy on all the other guys in the band. And his lyrics. It’s all reflected there. Such a shame. I also just went through nostalgic waves with Pixies, Breeders, SY, and Slint. That Slint documentary is really good, btw. It’s interesting to know that some of the folks here are going through something similar. I was wondering if it’s just me and it could be an age thing.

2) I was pretty upset when Vern Rumsey passed in August. I listened to Unwound a lot for a few weeks. These guys were a huge influence on me. Great band. Also revisited Mazzy Star and Bill Withers at similar circumstances. 2020 was a tough year in this sense too.

3) I’ve been exploring Appalachian folk music. Not into American folk music in general, but I’ve discovered some gems (Roscoe Holcomb is one). “Mountain music”, as my father-in-law would call it, can be surprisingly (or not?) similar to delta blues. Just started to dig into kraut rock a bit deeper. There’s a lot of good off-the-radar stuff out there. Also, I read Steve Albini’s and Slint’s AMAs on Reddit and made a list of bands that they’ve been into. Discovered some pretty cool stuff. I can’t remember the name of that one Japanese band but they basically play techno on guitars and drums. I’m sure I’ll make a lot more discoveries as I go down the list.

Bonus: I’m not a podcast guy usually, but I’ve been really into Conan Neutron’s Protonic Reversal lately. Interesting interviews with underground musicians. This is a DIY show (no commercials, sponsors and all that crap). Highly recommend.

Sorry for the unnecessarily long rant! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:29 pm

I've found myself listening less frequently to music. When i do listen to stuff it'll either be bandcamp or spotify while i do menial stuff or schoolwork.
I'm a big Longmont Potion Castle fan so his stuff has helped me laugh during a deeply unfunny time. Did a deep dive of the early Nick Cave albums which i'm loving.
Lots of more pensive folk stuff like Neil Young and John Martyn, Joni.
The second Aphex Twin album.
Lots of obscure bandcamp stuff and newer records i'd not had the time to check out.

Podcasts-wise i've got obsessed with the Kermode on Film podcast and its deffo introduced me to lots of stuff i'd not watched before.

On top of that been working a lot harder on perfecting my recording skills and should have another release out on bandcamp soon.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:40 pm

I’ve slightly extended my taste in the last year, but not dramatically. The biggest change for me has been that I’ve been listening to far less radio - we used to have BBC 6Music on in the office all the time, and I’d have it on in the car on the way there and back. I feel bad that I’m not supporting the station as much at present.

I bought a better pair of headphones at the start of lockdown last year and now I tend to sink into a long, insular, but enjoyable session listening to my digital music player or my vinyl while I work at my desk, sometimes with one album on repeat. Today it was the new Mogwai.

Except when there is cricket on - then I listen to the cricket.
All the cheeses....

ElizabethTaylor
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ElizabethTaylor » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:30 pm

Yeah, nothing changed for me either except that I realized that it was worth becoming a musician. Honestly, it's been the best decision I took in my life, and if I were to follow my mom's dream, now I would be a nerd who's programming all day long. Music is so important to me, and I'm thankful to God that it allowed me to meet my other half through music. We're actually both playing in the same band, and it's been a lovely journey for us until now! By the way, while quarantining, I discovered this website that provides sound effects free royalty free services. Check it out if you're interested! P.S. It was lovely to read through your comments, guys! Take care!