The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:51 am

Forgive me for living under a rock but this is the first I've heard of it...

((( A sneak preview to whet your appetites )))

I'm not a diehard fan at all but this looks great! I'm a sucker for old footage, especially when it's such high quality & this shouldn't disappoint. I just hope, for something so rare, that it'll be long enough. With 56 hours of footage at his disposal I'd happily sit through 3 hours of the stuff.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Re: The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:30 am

Should be fun. Might just be a joyful exercise in rewriting history to better suit Peter Jackson (and Paul McCartney), but there´s already the Let It Be doc to show the darker side of that period, so why not?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 am

Yeah, that's beautiful footage, alright. I would see that movie.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am

Can. Not. Wait.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm

Did any of you find Yoko sitting in the studio stressful? I know she's a fairly polarizing character. From my (somewhat limited) experience in recording studios and also my more extensive experience with having a bandmate with an annoying partner that shit would DRIVE ME UP THE WALL.

kingofsmiles
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kingofsmiles » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 pm

Yoko is an odd one. She obviously was an issue (for George especially). However if you listen to the tapes she barely says anything for hours also when she does get involved they love it especially Paul! :wtf:

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:14 pm

kingofsmiles wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 pm
Yoko is an odd one. She obviously was an issue (for George especially). However if you listen to the tapes she barely says anything for hours also when she does get involved they love it especially Paul! :wtf:
My take is that was Paul trying to be accepting for John's sake. I think he was really trying his best to keep the band together at that point.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm

I can see, or infer, just from those clips, that she wasn’t trying to be ‘in the way,’ or whatever, but damn... she’s just RIGHT THERE quiet or not. I’d be losing my fucking mind.

My perception of all this is severely tainted by a rather unfortunate band mate girlfriend situation that contributed to the band’s breakup. That’s all WAY in the past, but seeing those clips brings some of those feelings back (while I stare at all the gear and goofy clothes).

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:51 am

I like Yoko, but if I was in the band I'd hate to have someone's girlfriend just hanging out at all times during recording.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:50 am

I think Yoko was the least of the problems at that stage of the Beatles.

Looking forward to this, I love a good extensive music documentary.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 am

oh great. another beatles movie/book/documentary/think piece/article/youtube video (strike off where necessary) because we didn't have enough of those already.

so over the years, i've realized i'm not the target audience for the beatles music, yet i know a lot about them simply because there's so much media out there about them where people are like "watch this, it will change your mind" or "read this book, it will change your mind" when it hasn't. i'd imagine for someone more into the beatles, the idea of a peter jackson directed movie with lost footage is like a wet dream but i feel like even 50+ years later, we don't need any more beatles worship. hell, i got more enjoyment from that trailer looking at all the SF fenders in the background than anything beatles related.

the sad part is i dont even hate the beatles from a musical POV, their music just does nothing for me. i just feel everything that could be said about the band has been said 1000 times. even the negative criticism. hell, i even realize my thoughts that there's nothing else to really say about the beatles is probably not new. i just find it weird that there's still so much time/energy/money poured into people remembering the beatles. but i guess it must still make money. so why not?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 am

Looking forward to this, but kinda scared that it will be toooo loooong and too much Yoko. An album's worth of duration would be perfect.
Nobody exists on purpose.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:05 am

fuzzking wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 am
Looking forward to this, but kinda scared that it will be toooo loooong and too much Yoko. An album's worth of duration would be perfect.
Yeah, will be sad if it focuses on the “Yoko was an issue” angle

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:48 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 am
oh great. another beatles movie/book/documentary/think piece/article/youtube video (strike off where necessary) because we didn't have enough of those already.

so over the years, i've realized i'm not the target audience for the beatles music, yet i know a lot about them simply because there's so much media out there about them where people are like "watch this, it will change your mind" or "read this book, it will change your mind" when it hasn't. i'd imagine for someone more into the beatles, the idea of a peter jackson directed movie with lost footage is like a wet dream but i feel like even 50+ years later, we don't need any more beatles worship. hell, i got more enjoyment from that trailer looking at all the SF fenders in the background than anything beatles related.

the sad part is i dont even hate the beatles from a musical POV, their music just does nothing for me. i just feel everything that could be said about the band has been said 1000 times. even the negative criticism. hell, i even realize my thoughts that there's nothing else to really say about the beatles is probably not new. i just find it weird that there's still so much time/energy/money poured into people remembering the beatles. but i guess it must still make money. so why not?
There's always someone who has to remind everyone that they're too cool for the Beatles in every Beatles conversation. Millions of people still love them, and there's a reason why. If you don't get it that's fine, but you really don't have to chime in every time. It doesn't really add much to the conversation.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:48 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 am

There's always someone who has to remind everyone that they're too cool for the Beatles in every Beatles conversation. Millions of people still love them, and there's a reason why. If you don't get it that's fine, but you really don't have to chime in every time. It doesn't really add much to the conversation.
honestly, i dont think i'm too cool for the beatles. my honest opinion on the beatles music is "nothing special. some ok songs" but the beatles are more a culture than a band at this point. plus because they're often considered to be such a big part of music history, having an opinion on them often is something you have to have. hell, i've been prompted by complete strangers about the beatles...... quite a few times. one time was literally when i was at the urinals and a middle aged man next to me asked "do you like the beatles?"

i'll admit, my initial response might have seemed snide and out of place which was not my intent. honestly, i think the major impact of the beatles is really less with their music and more down to the culture and technology. so i shall say something positive about the beatles so people know i do understand them on A level.

the culture side is really down to them weaponizing the whole "fan culture" as effectively as they did. it's obviously something many people still care about if we're still talking about them 50 years after they release their last album. i think they did a good job of pivoting towards that. they started out as teen heart throbs then convinced many of those fans to get into more experimental music. that's a good thing. i also think for better or worse, they were a big inspiration on boy bands and what we now call "stan culture" am i saying the beatles are the 60's version of k-pop and boomers are just beatles stans? kinda. but just like those k-pop stans, they know who their audience is and no doubt this documentary will be very important to them.

the technological side more comes from what they did for the art of recording but also how they used TV and radio to push themselves into the public light. what history teaches us is if you can push the boundaries just enough so you dont scare people off and use the mediums of the time, you can usually have a lasting impact. just look at how bands used MTV in the 80's or even today how artists are using tiktok.

plus hey. this is a definite money maker for jackson and if it means i can finally get a peter jackson directed lovecraft movie, i'll support it.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'