The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 am

FrankRay wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:01 pm
When I used to play Beatles albums a lot, it struck me that Abbey Road was their weakest; it only really has Come Together, Something and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight that seem really great to me. Compared to, say, Hard Day's Night that it pretty much classic from start to finish, or even Beatles For Sale that starts with a brilliant triptych of No Reply, I'm a Loser and Baby's In Black.

And I'd be happy to never hear Octopus's Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through The Bathroom Window, Mean Mr Mustard, Because, She's So Heavy and Sun King again. For me that's a lot of filler for an album that regularly gets lionised.

It sounds great though. Wonderful production.
I'm with you on Octopus's Garden and Silver Hammer but... did you just refer to the medley as "filler?" lmao

Also, you totally just glossed over Oh! Darling, You Never Give Me Your Money, I Want You (She's So Heavy)? Sheer classic brilliance. Some of their best stuff as a band, bar none.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:41 am

Finally got round to watching it. We watched part 1 yesterday, the second one's lined up for tonight.

What can I say? It's pretty incredible stuff, particularly because of the video quality. There are moments where you drift into thinking it was filmed recently. All the intimate chit-chat, grooving off each other, hearing the birth of key songs. Just incredible!!
The use of some of Linda Eastman's photos is crazy too, showing her literally taking the pics, then overlaying the resulting prints that I assume have been in public domain for years now.

I've tried not to read too many comments & have almost no idea what's to come in the second part. Eeeeeeeeek, can't wait!!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:39 pm

All the talk of “was Abbey Road good?” made me go back to the Booker T versions. They are special

https://open.spotify.com/track/0OsCifDT ... rpTbwEo_BA
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:13 pm

All done. Man, what a ride!!!

That entire last episode was incredible! Following the rooftop performance from every angle & the hapless policemen doing their best to shut it all down. Priceless!!

It's funny but I realise now, because my mum kinda rammed The Beatles down my throat when I was growing up, I never bothered to get as deep into them as bands like The Doors, Love, Neil Young etc... I just kinda felt I knew enough about The Beatles to not bother. It was exactly the same with The Rolling Stones.
I still think a lot of their stuff is pretty average but this documentary has really made me appreciate them more (no surprises there) and I've found I love some of the tracks I used to kinda dislike (much of Let It be).
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:45 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 am
FrankRay wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:01 pm

And I'd be happy to never hear Octopus's Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through The Bathroom Window, Mean Mr Mustard, Because, She's So Heavy and Sun King again. For me that's a lot of filler for an album that regularly gets lionised.
I'm with you on Octopus's Garden and Silver Hammer but... did you just refer to the medley as "filler?" lmao

Also, you totally just glossed over Oh! Darling, You Never Give Me Your Money, I Want You (She's So Heavy)? Sheer classic brilliance. Some of their best stuff as a band, bar none.
Maybe I *was* a bit harsh on She's So Heavy.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:43 am

FrankRay wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:45 pm
Maybe I *was* a bit harsh on She's So Heavy.
Not wanting to harp on too much about that song but, like many I'm sure, one of my first thoughts after watching Get Back was "Just how much more golden footage do they have?" I'm sure a lot of it is banter & the richest pickings have already been used (maybe?)

I'd also read that they worked out a backing track for "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" during the sessions but figured the bulk of the song was arranged & recorded elsewhere. Then I came across this on YouTube. 49 minutes of them!!

This means there's probably some amazing film of it lined up for further release....I hope!

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:22 am

I got about an hour and 15 into the first episode and got bored and turned it off. Been through enough excruciating real life band practices like this to not want to watch the Beatles have to endure it. It wasn't completely uninteresting, but it wasn't telling me a bunch of new information I didn't already know.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:33 pm

Was absolutely riveted throughout the entire thing, as someone who has been through the drudgery of band practice. Ringo's ability to NOT noodle on the fkn snare drum every ten seconds while the band talks must have been their secret to success

The last episode was one of the most rewarding 2hrs of television I've ever seen

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:07 am

I'm halfway through the first episode, it's pretty fun to watch, I wish we had someone bringing us sandwiches and drinks when we rehearse !

To come back to a thing pretty debated out on this forum, it feels weird to see footage from 50 years ago and see those brand new guitars and amps that are still the standard/ideal gear for a rock band of 30-ish guys.

Also, someone please take the wah pedal away from George, it sounds so annoying :D

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:27 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:39 pm
All the talk of “was Abbey Road good?” made me go back to the Booker T versions. They are special

https://open.spotify.com/track/0OsCifDT ... rpTbwEo_BA
I didn’t even know this existed — thank so much for sharing it! I’m really enjoying it.

sholkham
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sholkham » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Watched the first two episodes of it this weekend. I asked why they couldn't use the eagles to fly the Beatles to Libya and my girlfriend called me an idiot.

Also the bit when Paul, Yoko and John were going nuts and jamming at the end of the first episode was great. They should have done that on the roof.
holodreck.bandcamp.com

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:31 pm

My main comment is that I like Ringo and Paul a lot more than I thought I did and the other two a lot less, I hope this wasn’t some subversive editing or something but that was my takeaway based on the information given.

I think it’s a decent watch for any Beatle fan, other than the general novelty of the footage though I can’t see this being overly interesting to the layperson, even as a general fan of the Beatles I found this to be mostly snippets of banter/jibber jabber/“Let’s play twist and shout in silly voices” that largely goes nowhere.

As an aside from the above, it’s pretty nutty to hear that nice pushed/growl tone they consistently got considering they were just playing through your typical brand new silver Fender of the era, fuck me can you imagine how loud that had to have been?
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:52 am

Just got home from watching the Roof Top concert portion that had been released for IMAX theatres
Never seen an IMAX film before and this was awesome
Besides the music itself seeing all the equipment REALLY up close was fantastic.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:16 am

Dave wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:31 pm
As an aside from the above, it’s pretty nutty to hear that nice pushed/growl tone they consistently got considering they were just playing through your typical brand new silver Fender of the era, fuck me can you imagine how loud that had to have been?
The technical aspect and equipment they used has been what really got me watching the whole thing about three times.
Thankfully, there are people even more nerdy than I am who have listed all the visible microphones: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... -name-them

And here's a little bit about the gear used: https://www.guitarworld.com/features/th ... -back-gear
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:48 pm

Just getting around to this.

If it hasn’t already been said Glyn Johns has some pretty epic outfits. Fashion icon.

*edit* It has.