The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 am

This documentary has it all. The simultaneously boring and exhilarating creation of "art," great shots of product placement (hello Fender-provided amps!), tea, toast, cigarettes, and all those outfits. I swear I can almost smell those gross fur coats and cigarettes.

It is so reassuring (?) to see the biggest band in the world going through the same band dynamic bullshit that just about everyone else that has been in a band has had to deal with. Billy Preston really saved their asses. Having an amazingly talented and competent musician swoop in that was unburdened with all of the resentment and pressure of being a Beatle helped clear the fog.

Some part of me wants to 'get' Yoko and like her music and visual art, but I'll be damned if that can happen. All I can think of is if I was in a band with some person who was latched on to their partner like that and how it would drive me fucking insane. I'm slightly more sympathetic to George, but those Hare Krishnas hovering around in the background are nearly as annoying.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:56 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm
Did any of you find Yoko sitting in the studio stressful? I know she's a fairly polarizing character. From my (somewhat limited) experience in recording studios and also my more extensive experience with having a bandmate with an annoying partner that shit would DRIVE ME UP THE WALL.
Yoko Ono kind of comes "pre-polarized" to anyone born after the Beatles's breakup. There has been a baked-in narrative about her presence, culture-wide, for a long time.

I submit that this is probably long, long overdue for a rethink.

The person whose presence I found stressful was Magic Alex.

I nominate Glyn Johns for best-dressed in the whole doc, with Ringo in second place.

Also, am I the only one who did a fruitless eBay search for a vintage "Speedy Wiper" tea towel?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am

Mal seemed like a great guy. Was sorry to read he was shot to death by cops.

Billy Preston definitely saved them, yeah. What an amazing musician.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:32 pm

I watched some of it, but got interrupted. I'm not as huge a fan as I used to be, but it's fun seeing musicians hanging out and trying to entertain one another. I didn't realize Let it Be was a return to basics due to as much time crunch and need for material as it was concept by Paul or something.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:54 pm

A synopsis of why the session(s) happened.

- after not playing live for a couple of years the band really enjoyed the Hey Jude TV special they did in 1968
- someone (lore says macca, but it is not actually provable) suggested that the next project be a live TV show where they played new tracks rather than existing hits
- the fact that they had to play live meant that overdubs could not be done in a live situation and so it was back to basics.
- history has been rewritten over the past 50 years that "the beatles wanted to GET BACK to their roots and get rid of studio fiddling". Utter bullshit, as can be heard in Macca talking about it during the first couple of days at Twickenham (I have not seen the three part series yet but i have had copies of all of the NAGRA tapes on 150+ CDs for about 30 years). They just wanted to play live in a TV studio with an audience (similar to the Stones Rock n Roll Circus that Lennon had play at in late 1968, also directed by Lindsay-Hogg) which meant bass/2 guitars/drums , and as was commented during the Twickenham sessions ... maybe a keyboard player, a sax player or even a double bassist for when Macca was on piano
- The whole project was meant for TV, which is why it was filmed in 16mm film, rather than the normal film stock that is 35mm
- At some stage after Abbey Road and the internally known fact that essentially the band had broken up, or at least would not be doing any more recording projects, Allen Klein changed the project to be a movie and not a TV show.
- Ringo started filming THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN movie with Peter Sellers on the 1st February, hence the extremely tight time period they gave themselves.

There is multitude of film footage of TWO OF US, LET IT BE & THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD from the "Apple Studio Sessions" that occurred on the 31st January (the day after the roof top gig) . Just have a look at the original movie. I actually have no idea why Peter Jackson decided not to show those recordings as well, other than under the credits, maybe he wanted the roof top gig to be the climax. Hopefully these will be available when the Blue ray / DVDs come out, along with the roof top concert without the annoying comments of passers by in the street.

I have read and listened to (on Youtube) many reviews of of this GET BACK project that Peter Jackson and I am amazed that no one has concluded the real reason for the Paul and George fight. It was not that there was a real argument between Paul and George, but rather Paul was not communicating with John. In the Twickenham sessions , especially the first half of then John is almost a mute, hardly says anything. In fact sometimes Yoko answers questions on behalf of John that Paul had directed at John.

May be in the Twickenham sessions John was too heavy into the heroin or the John/Yoko dynamic caused him to not voice anything let alone strong opinions, who knows. But when Macca wanted to push the sessions along and discuss the project with Lennon, he was Marcel Marceau. So like in many strained relationships, Macca took it out on George ... the kid of the band. That coupled with Georges own frustration at bringing great songs to the sessions and having them poo-poo'd by Lennon , who at that stage had only brought Don't Let Me Down and some fragments of other new songs to the sessions, lit the fuse to the argument between Paul and George. For Macca, George was a surrogate to argue and blame if he couldn't get John to communicate.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

lammie200
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lammie200 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:13 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 am
I mean, the Beatles kicked off the idea that rock and roll could be all the things that we take for granted today. The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, I could go on and on, they all traveled ground that the Beatles broke first. After the Beatles spread their wings, literally everything else that came next was a reaction to it.

Punks were talking about taking rock and roll back to what it was without all the excess, which is a fine concept I guess, still a reaction against the "excesses" that the Beatles had introduced in the first place.

Rock and roll is basically divided into pre and post Beatles to me, anyway.

Personally I think the Beatles have a lot of great songs.
I think the real separation from bands like the Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. are the vocal harmonies/duets that the Beatles used. People say that they invented the boy band thing. I don’t agree with that. The Beatles wrote songs that were structured for their unique vocal treatments both musically and lyrically that no boy band has ever come close to approaching. And punk rock never embraced vocal harmonies unless you consider three pimply faced guys shouting into microphones at the same time as vocal harmony. That said, I get it. Vocal harmonies/duets aren’t for everyone just like Bach doesn’t float everyone’s boat. But just remember you can syndicate every boat you row.
Strat Kinman KITA set, Tele SD Seth Lover neck only, Jazzmaster Kinman Thickmaster set, Jazzmaster 12 Rose Picasso set, Martin SC-13E Special, Gibson ES-390, ES-165 490R, ES-165 BJB, Henriksen Jazz Amp x2 for Stereo

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:03 pm

yes a cover, but damn good 3 part harmony ... all live in the studio at the end of an 8 hour session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RicaUqd9Hg

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:31 am

I just finished episode one and i got to say it was a bit of a struggle. It just dragged on and actually gave me flashbacks of bad jam sessions/band practices of my past LOL. I'm sure it will pick up when preston enters the mix and i bet the rooftop concert stuff will be enjoyable.

i have nothing but love for the beatles (i have lived everything beatles at some point or another and i have consumed pretty everything there is to consume), but i don't know if this "series" is all that great. I guess it's because i already know all the spoilers. Yes it's pretty cool to see some of the stuff first hand, but maybe they should have condensed the footage into a "better" version of the Let it Be movie?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am

BEATLES = MUST SEE

I went to the Abbey Road open house earlier this year. Amazing doesn’t describe it. But- at one point they had some old chairs out with a sign “chairs, circa 1960s. Used in studio 2 & 3 throughout the 60s. One of the Beatles might have sat on one of these chairs.” :fp:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:47 am

I had a Beatles binge when the Anthology came out, haven't really listened to them for 20 years.

Yeah, the first episode was really tough watching. Like the magic had gone. But it wasn't, they just needed to unlock it. Worst of it for me, was Michael going on and on about Africa...

I enjoyed the rest of them, and it's cool to see songs being born

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:58 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am
“chairs, circa 1960s. Used in studio 2 & 3 throughout the 60s. One of the Beatles might have sat on one of these chairs.”
Those chairs must have some amazing hauntology baked into them. Imagine Syd Barrett also sat on one of them!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:58 am
sal paradise wrote:
“chairs, circa 1960s. Used in studio 2 & 3 throughout the 60s. One of the Beatles might have sat on one of these chairs.”
Those chairs must have some amazing hauntology baked into them. Imagine Syd Barrett also sat on one of them!
Might have sat on one of them ::)
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

lammie200
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lammie200 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:22 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:58 am
sal paradise wrote:
If Syd or the Beatles were women it might be a ghost pussy type of thing.
Strat Kinman KITA set, Tele SD Seth Lover neck only, Jazzmaster Kinman Thickmaster set, Jazzmaster 12 Rose Picasso set, Martin SC-13E Special, Gibson ES-390, ES-165 490R, ES-165 BJB, Henriksen Jazz Amp x2 for Stereo

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:33 pm

one thing i hadn't really been aware of – although it makes perfect sense, given their insane creative output and the pace at which they were turning out complete albums and more – is how many of the songs that would make up Abbey Road were already taking shape during the Let It Be sessions. it's mind bending to imagine that with a few spontaneous turns at Twickenham and Savile Row, they might have developed some of those songs further for Let It Be, and punted some Let It Be songs forward.

instinctively, i think such an alternate universe would be much the poorer. i doubt i'm alone in considering Let It Be, while fascinating as a document of the times, a vastly inferior album to what followed. then again, who can say – perhaps we would treasure some Abbey Road songs just as much with just the skeletal arrangements and mix of the Let It Be sessions. conversely, would i love Dig a Pony or Dig It (i don't care for either song at all) if they'd seen the full studio polish at EMI, and been tucked in amongst Abbey Road's much better tracks overall?

or we just wind up with two middling records, rather than one afterthought and one masterpiece. it's crazy-making to contemplate.

and George Harrison, damn – his contributions to Let It Be are marginal at best, then a few months later he gives the world Something and Here Comes the Sun for Abbey Road. i guess sometimes, history just works out as it should.
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 pm

dc wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:33 pm
and George Harrison, damn – his contributions to Let It Be are marginal at best
Seriously?

I ME MINE is awesome and I wish it was a real long version like they did in the Twickenham rehearsals, not just a "hey guys we need you to record a proper version because I ME MINE is in the movie but so far you haven't recorded it in the studio"

FOR YOU BLUE, again awesome .... it's a happy go lucky blues ... your dog hasn't died, your girlfriend hasn't left you, you are still mates with your best friend... Seeing Lennon playing the lap steel on this track was one of the highlight for me