Tash Sultana? Anybody?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tash Sultana? Anybody?

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tash Sultana? Anybody?

Post by Embenny » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Known her stuff for a few years. She's very talented but the whole looping-as-a-genre thing is better suited to live performance and video than audio recording - I can watch a video and be entertained and I certainly would stop at her stage and watch her if she was playing at a festival but she's not someone whose albums I'd play when I'm in the mood to listen to music, if that makes sense?

She's one of those performers that I thought was putting too much affectation into her performance the first time I saw her, but I've changed my mind about that. I think she's genuinely that into the music, and power to her. She makes a live performance of a looped song worth watching and not many people can do that.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:36 am

She's very talented, and another big piece of proof that Australia is keeping rock and guitar based music alive.
There are so many great bands in Australia right now. King Gizzard, The Babe Rainbow, Courtney Barnett, The Murloccs, The Chats, ... I could keep going.
Are these acts big in Australia? I have no idea, but their influence is international. Music boards and reddit are regularly abuzz with Aussie music.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:32 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:36 am
Are these acts big in Australia? I have no idea, but their influence is international. Music boards and reddit are regularly abuzz with Aussie music.
They're doing pretty well. If there were still festivals this summer the acts you mentioned would be middle of the bill and up.

Personally I'd chuck RVG and DMA's on that list if you're after more stuff to listen too.

We're in a unique position here that our national broadcaster has a youth-orientated radio network who's charter dictates they have to play mostly Aussie music. This has the benefit of a constant stream of exposure for new Australian bands. The sort of bands that are promoted are somewhat subject to the whims of the time but over my lifetime I'd say 'rock' has always had a healthy presence. There's obvious criticism that XYZ bands don't get picked up, that they tend to drop bands once they get a bit older, and the hip-hop community is occasionally divided over who they chose to champion, but overall I think we're incredibly lucky to have a state-funded alternative music station that's as healthy as it is.

Also, as someone who trends towards being a bit of an oldhead, it makes a convenient way to 'keep up' as it were.
mbene085 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 pm
Known her stuff for a few years. She's very talented but the whole looping-as-a-genre thing is better suited to live performance and video than audio recording - I can watch a video and be entertained and I certainly would stop at her stage and watch her if she was playing at a festival but she's not someone whose albums I'd play when I'm in the mood to listen to music, if that makes sense?
I'm of this mind. They're definitely talented and has a great compositional sense. I view this sort of loop-based music similar to primarily improvisational forms - it's better in the moment when you're there. They just scored a new sig Strat too, so good for them.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 pm

Never heard of her before, but I'm digging that video! VERY talented young lady!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384