first track from the new Diiv album is really promising

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
tvphobic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: first track from the new Diiv album is really promising

Post by tvphobic » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:26 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:37 pm
Man I got tricked, I thought this was the new shit with Chris Coady.
No need for a new thread when I'd already dredged the 2019 one up.
The new single(s), produced by Chris Coady, are:
Brown Paper Bag
Soul-Net

The upcoming album, 'Frog in Boiling Water' will be released May 25th. Somehow I expected the new material would merge the two (or three) previous styles, represented by the successive albums. No sign, however, of the clean 'n echoey guitars at fast tempos of _Oshin_&_ITIA_
'Soul-Net' points to a groove-ification of Deceiver-era grungegaze, and "Brown Paper Bag" is a /Lento/ take on the Deceiver schema, without the personal apocolyptic angst of 'Taker' or 'Lorelei'. Good stuff, but hoping for more departures from the formula on the upcoming LP.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:33 am

tvphobic wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:26 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:37 pm
Man I got tricked, I thought this was the new shit with Chris Coady.
No need for a new thread when I'd already dredged the 2019 one up.
The new single(s), produced by Chris Coady, are:
Brown Paper Bag
Soul-Net

The upcoming album, 'Frog in Boiling Water' will be released May 25th. Somehow I expected the new material would merge the two (or three) previous styles, represented by the successive albums. No sign, however, of the clean 'n echoey guitars at fast tempos of _Oshin_&_ITIA_
'Soul-Net' points to a groove-ification of Deceiver-era grungegaze, and "Brown Paper Bag" is a /Lento/ take on the Deceiver schema, without the personal apocolyptic angst of 'Taker' or 'Lorelei'. Good stuff, but hoping for more departures from the formula on the upcoming LP.
Just sounds like he started playing with other people who prefer to play thick drop d riffs all the time. It's not novel or cool in that facet but at least his vocals are still nice. I was impressed by the first two albums, deceiver left me sort of questioning it and this just continues down the path of meh. I never bought Deceiver and will probably not get this one either.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:00 am

opened for em a few times many years ago
man, those guys liked drugs

music never did much for me but every once in awhile one of their tunes will pop up somewhere and i'm thinkin this aint so bad

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:08 pm

I suppose I'm a 'casual fan', I like a few of the songs off 'Is This Is Are' (particularly 'Bent').

Not sure how to decode '/Lento/ take' or much of the other prose above but this newer stuff is some seriously boring sounding shit :(
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.