Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 am

Folk might have noticed the name Nick Taylor or Spectral Studio credited with the art work on sleeves by the likes of The Tomorrow Syndicate, Black Channels and Sharron Kraus. If you liked his work have a swatch at his Etsy for some bargain priced ephemera and wall art. He really goes the extra mile with the packaging too, for example the Phenomena set comes packaged in a string and washer envelope printed up to look like a dossier investigation into ESP.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 am

Talking ESP and with apologies for not really keeping this thread up to date (full update of my hauntological orienteering coming sooner or later) I thought I might draw attention to the following...

Look in your minds eye...can you see the sleeve I'm holding up?

OK...how about now?

The Heartwood Institute & Panamint Manse ‎– Parapsychedelia

A must if you've ever stepped into the Telephasic Workshop of Boards of Canada or bent your coat hanger aerial towards Pye Corner Audio or simply enjoyed the Heartwood Institute posted in here in the past.

Really lovely packaging by the near ubiquitous Nick Taylor.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:09 pm

I will be checking that out. Looks super cool.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:09 pm
I will be checking that out. Looks super cool.
Really good label, the new Dalham is getting a lot of play in the house at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the gorgeous sounding new new Polypores which is out on the 26th.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 am

Really enjoyed this record I just bought, I think she sounds like Vashti Bunyan with a little Nico ice cube in her mouth. They are bit like Cats Eyes without the slight archness.

Red Red Eyes - Horology

UK duo Red Red Eyes release their debut long player (on all the important formats) on 18th May. The album is packed with cinematic drones and intricate twangs; a stylish shoegaze noir, or a Broadcast / Morricone / Gainsbourg soundtrack to an episode of Black Mirror.

Red Red Eyes are Laura McMahon and Xavier Watkins. While playing together in psychedelic outfit Violet Woods, they started working on McMahon’s songs, evoking the atmospheres of their shared cinematographic interests. The result is often dark and hypnotic, with McMahon’s (Betty & the Werewolves) soft vocals being echoed by Watkins’ (Fuzzy Lights) delicate guitar. Their first tape was released on Cambridge’s Meadows records on July 14, 2017. Horology was completed later in the year, and was quickly snapped up by London’s wiaiwya records (home of the Leaf Library, Freschard, the Great Electric and many many more).

If you like the idea of Tracey Thorn fronting the Banshees, Insides at their dreamiest, Pale Saints at their droniest, Lush at their spookiest, or Strawberry Switchblade at their most melancholy, then this might just be the album of your summer!

Seven amazing soundtracks: Dead Man (Neil Young) / Aguirre the wrath of god (Popol Vuh) / Anna (Gainsbourg) / The Good The Bad and The Ugly (Morricone) / Blow Up (Hancock) / Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Miles Davis) / Le Mépris (Georges Delerue)
In other new the news Polypores elpee 'Azure' is like lying on the beach of a lush tropical island while gentle waves of analogue synthesiers lap at your feet.

Polypores - Azure Lovesly as one of the young Shadowplays would say.

Currently incoming (just ordered) but very promising

Drift. - Atomic Soldier

DRIFT - Symbiosis

Oh and Btw new Gilroy Mere elpee Adlestrop goes preorder this Friday (usually between 7-8am GMT)

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:38 am

Enjoying the Red Red Eyes (and relieved it isn't the Laura Mc I know on vocals, as that might've put me off them).

The Cat's Eyes comparison makes sense, and there's a flavour of (old) Still Corners and maybe Death & Vanilla in there too, what with all that reverb.

Mainly just wanted to get in on page 23 of this thread, due to its Spookological resonance.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:58 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:38 am
Enjoying the Red Red Eyes (and relieved it isn't the Laura Mc I know on vocals, as that might've put me off them).

The Cat's Eyes comparison makes sense, and there's a flavour of (old) Still Corners and maybe Death & Vanilla in there too, what with all that reverb.
Dead on, they might be the most geetar band in this thread too. Sounds like a jazzmaster to me or possibly a Jaguar.

D

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:35 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 am
Oh and Btw new Gilroy Mere elpee Adlestrop goes preorder this Friday (usually between 7-8am GMT)

D
Sold out in a matter of moments again, luckily got one but hopefully it turns up in better condition than Shapwick did, warped so bad it wouldn't play, just kept skipping.
There were a few cassettes left for anyone desperate enough.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:13 am

sammynb wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:35 am
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 am

D
Sold out in a matter of moments again, luckily got one but hopefully it turns up in better condition than Shapwick did, warped so bad it wouldn't play, just kept skipping.
I was out running this morning when it went live and sad David had 15 minute alarms set for checking, it was pishing with rain and it was pure comedy me trying to order order a tree. I went LP and tape because I'm a sad cunt but mainly because it was the first thing listed. Sorry to hear about Shapwick, did you email Frances about it?

D

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:19 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:13 am
I was out running this morning when it went live and sad David had 15 minute alarms set for checking, it was pishing with rain and it was pure comedy me trying to order order a tree. I went LP and tape because I'm a sad cunt but mainly because it was the first thing listed. Sorry to hear about Shapwick, did you email Frances about it?

D
No, kind of no point as they sell out so quickly, I did send a note with today's order so they got some feedback, also suggested taping around the packaging as the last couple have split and only luck they were still inside.
I did manage to fix it enough to play it, low oven - 2 glass chopping boards and a bit of weigh applied; first time I've tried to fix a warped record, and success, it did straighten so it can be played but it's noisey as fuck. Thankfully they come with downloads.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 am

sammynb wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:35 am
:'(

So sucky for twits like me in the USA. I was soundly sleeping at 7-8am GMT.

Update: I was able to order a copy off Norman Records. 8)

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Yup, I missed it too. Hopefully I can pick up a copy from one of the shops. I’ve got an email alert set.

Edit - they’re on preorder at Bleep, I just got a copy there.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 am

The Heartwood Institute's Ringstone Round lathe cut 7" might still be available as I type this. If not, you can at least listen to it for free and see how it compares with the original Quatermass version.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 pm

Adlestrop arrived just before the weekend. As always the packaging is amazing (with a cardboard train station To build if you want). It’s a lovely mix of ethereal instrumentals and and spoken word songs, well worth chasing down any remaining copies if you haven’t got it already.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 am

NickD wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 pm
Adlestrop arrived just before the weekend. As always the packaging is amazing (with a cardboard train station To build if you want). It’s a lovely mix of ethereal instrumentals and and spoken word songs, well worth chasing down any remaining copies if you haven’t got it already.
I really like it. There's no PDF of the model this time which seems a bit odd, I might email her about it. I love Oliver's music I Feel Nothing Most Days was close to my favourite last year.

D