Brian Jonestown Massacre

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by shadowplay » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:16 am

sammynb wrote:
Ex Lion Tamer wrote:
mr bungle wrote:Prefer former member Peter Hayes BRMC, but a guy I know from Dunedin, NZ is now playing drums for BJM. Constantine 'Dino' Karlis, formerly of HDU & Dimmer (Shayne Carter)...

HDU

Dimmer
Two great New Zealand bands. I'm a huge Bailter Space and Straightjacket Fits fan too.
Much love for Bailter Space and the Fits in this house as well.
Did either of you get the (quite expensive) 2x12 reissue of Peter Gutteridge's Pure Cassette?

T'was good stuff if like me you had it but have zero patience for cassette and therefore barely played it.

Hang On - Peter Gutteridge.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:41 am

shadowplay wrote:
sammynb wrote:
Ex Lion Tamer wrote:Two great New Zealand bands. I'm a huge Bailter Space and Straightjacket Fits fan too.
Much love for Bailter Space and the Fits in this house as well.
Did either of you get the (quite expensive) 2x12 reissue of Peter Gutteridge's Pure Cassette?

T'was good stuff if like me you had it but have zero patience for cassette and therefore barely played it.

D
Damn you! Damn you all to hell!!!
David my wife asked that you no longer show me stuff like this, I'm unemployed and poor don't you know?

Thanks for that, missed it the first time around.

Starship321
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Starship321 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:34 am

Straight up and down live was one of the greatest experiences of my life

Slightly off topic but if you like these you should definitely listen to The Vacant Lots

Here's a remix of The Vacant Lots by Anton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneDwJokQMY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the circle be unbroken

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 am

shadowplay wrote:

D
I saw that when it came out but, as you said, it's expensive, and I had other priorities. It's on the list of records to buy.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 am

Starship321 wrote:Straight up and down live was one of the greatest experiences of my life

Slightly off topic but if you like these you should definitely listen to The Vacant Lots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneDwJokQMY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely!!

I was at their album launch in London a couple of months back (Pete Kember looked after my LP purchase so I could get closer to the band without it getting knocked around :) ). Saw them supporting BJM the next day too, funnily enough.

Have you heard their earlier stuff? They've gone down quite a different path to the one they were on when they released According To The Gospel,The Vacant Lots etc.... It was available to listen to for free on the ApolloAudio site but has been taken off now.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Starship321
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Starship321 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Starship321 wrote:Straight up and down live was one of the greatest experiences of my life

Absolutely!!

I was at their album launch in London a couple of months back (Pete Kember looked after my LP purchase so I could get closer to the band without it getting knocked around ). Saw them supporting BJM the next day too, funnily enough.

Have you heard their earlier stuff? They've gone down quite a different path to the one they were on when they released According To The Gospel,The Vacant Lots etc.... It was available to listen to for free on the ApolloAudio site but has been taken off now.
I've yet to see them live but I saw this video sometime ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQTQgZyfOfI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw the album was mixed and mastered by Pete (Massive fan) and was out on one of my favourite labels Sonic Cathedral. I bought the record and was hooked, it came with a CD with some older versions of the songs on it, I really like that. I also bought Jared's book of poetry which was really cool!

Do you like the Psychic Ills? I saw them at Liverpool Psych Fest last year and ended up buying the entire back catalogue on vinyl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10eWvTAnuYE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:39 am

Starship321 wrote: Do you like the Psychic Ills? I saw them at Liverpool Psych Fest last year and ended up buying the entire back catalogue on vinyl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10eWvTAnuYE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, they're good.

I was at the Psych Fest the year before that one & had a great time. It's not often I venture out of London for festivals & it was refreshing to be somewhere different with a great venue, atmosphere & locally brewed beer! We'll try & get there again next year.

(Good to see another Yorkshireman on the forum. I'm Leeds born & bred).
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Starship321
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Starship321 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:33 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Starship321 wrote: Do you like the Psychic Ills? I saw them at Liverpool Psych Fest last year and ended up buying the entire back catalogue on vinyl...

Yeah, they're good.

I was at the Psych Fest the year before that one & had a great time. It's not often I venture out of London for festivals & it was refreshing to be somewhere different with a great venue, atmosphere & locally brewed beer! We'll try & get there again next year.

Ahh cool I missed that one! It's easily the best festival I've been, only Glastonbury beats it.
I just drank Piston Head lager when I was there and everything that came after was a cosmic blur.

I go to a lot of record fairs in Leeds to score early Cramps stuff and other psych gems!

Are you in a band?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:58 am

Starship321 wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

Yeah, they're good.

Ahh cool I missed that one! It's easily the best festival I've been, only Glastonbury beats it.
I just drank Piston Head lager when I was there and everything that came after was a cosmic blur.

I go to a lot of record fairs in Leeds to score early Cramps stuff and other psych gems!

Are you in a band?
When I was there they had a couple of local organic brews, super tasty. A pint was half the price you'd pay at a similar do in London.

I'm totally out of touch with the music scene in Leeds (buying & watching) after living in London for the past 13 years (although we're there tomorrow til Monday).

Nah, no band at the moment but I scribble stuff down occasionally that may one day be unleashed on the world.

Starship321
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Starship321 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:20 pm

When I was there they had a couple of local organic brews, super tasty. A pint was half the price you'd pay at a similar do in London.

I'm totally out of touch with the music scene in Leeds (buying & watching) after living in London for the past 13 years (although we're there tomorrow til Monday).

Nah, no band at the moment but I scribble stuff down occasionally that may one day be unleashed on the world.

Yeah they still had all that on! It's an amazing festival.

I don't know much about the live scene, I do go to a lot of gigs at Brudenell Social Club but that's mostly for American bands, White Fence ect.

Enjoy yourself back in the homeland man!

Ahh right cool, I saw the website on your profile, is that your design/art? If so it's amazing

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Starship321 wrote:

I don't know much about the live scene, I do go to a lot of gigs at Brudenell Social Club but that's mostly for American bands, White Fence ect.

Ahh right cool, I saw the website on your profile, is that your design/art? If so it's amazing
Thanks for the kind words.

I've not been down the Brudenell in years & actually checked their listings yesterday but there's nowt on.

Have you heard Hookworms (quite Spacemen 3-like at times)? I gather they're Yorkshire-based & fantastic live (saw them at Liverpool Psych Fest). We're seeing them again in London soon. Really looking forward to it.

Er....anyway, BJM.....

Starship321
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Starship321 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Starship321 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.

I've not been down the Brudenell in years & actually checked their listings yesterday but there's nowt on.

Have you heard Hookworms (quite Spacemen 3-like at times)? I gather they're Yorkshire-based & fantastic live (saw them at Liverpool Psych Fest). We're seeing them again in London soon. Really looking forward to it.

Er....anyway, BJM.....

It's a really nice place to go but the area around it is a bit grim haa

Yeah they're alright! I saw them at Brudenell a few months back! Decent live! Have you heard of The Lucid Dream? They are a really good, I loved it seeing them live!

Oh yeah BJM...

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 am

I'm seeing a few of you know who Peter Gutteridge is- you know he's just passed away?
http://www.offthetracks.co.nz/r-i-p-peter-gutteridge/
Last edited by antisymmetric on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watching the corners turn corners

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:39 am

Sad news - RIP PG.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:57 am

Peter Gutteridge wrote this when he was 17: The Clean - Point That Thing Somewhere Else