U2 Tiny Desk NPR performance

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

U2 Tiny Desk NPR performance

Post by PapaB » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:39 pm

Just saw a beautiful performance by U2, on NPR's tiny desk series. Wow!!! A few chords, a bit of poetry, written with heart, sung with soul .... A song can be more powerful than tanks, and bombs. Their last number, referring to the terrible war in Ukraine deeply moved me.
So I post this question, as I've much to learn of great songs, and beautiful live performances, what song moves you? What live performance has (or does) inspired you to play music, to write songs, to do what you do with your offset guitars?
Thanks for any suggestions ....

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: U2 Tiny Desk NPR performance

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:56 pm

The Cure In Orange....great live stuff....

Hendrix Woodstock.....

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 am

Tami concert dvd. Probably the best
The cure show
Depeche mode the world we live in live in Hamburg
Hendrix at Woodstock and some other Woodstock footage notable sly and family stone.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:29 am

Seeing RATM at Brixton on the Evil Empire tour as 13 year old was just unbelievable. And I met Tom Morello :-*

Paul Simon live in Central Park is perfect in every way.

As is rock of ages by The Band.

More recently seeing Foo Fighters play in a 500 capacity venue. Well that was just insane. Nearly being able to touch Pat Smear :-* also, the fact that they only changed guitars once in a 3 hour set, and it was for different tuning. That’s how you be rock stars.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:17 pm

What great mentions! I saw RATM live, the guys rocked so hard, they had to pause the set half way thru the show, and bring in the carpenters with hammers and nails to nail down the stage. It was coming apart from all the jumping. They were jumping, the crowd was jumping, I was jumping, ... LOL. It was something I'll never forget.
The Cure. Now that's a band I need to revisit, along with REM. I don't own any of their records .... They are phenomenal.
The Band I know well. "The Weight", & "The Night They Drove Ol' ... Down" are on my repertoire. So is "Me & Julio" from S&G.
Hendrix, such greatness & such loss. He was so young! There's a recording on the internet from his studio work where he is isolated .... One can hear him very clearly, like he's plugged up straight to the amp next to you ....
And then Depeche Mode .... Another band I'll have to revisit, maybe dance to once again. Along with The Smiths, NIN, ....
I wish I'd seen Bob Marley. But every Reggae festival has a bit of his spirit, his groove. One Love!
BTW, the craziest, wildest live show I ever saw was Tool in Nashville. Those guys were ...! I'm still somewhat speechless over that performance.
Thanks for your comments. Much peace!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:13 am

The Tragically Hip were great live. Gord was such a showman. RIP
Their shows were always a good time.
Saw Death from Above 1979 once and it was memorable, because the whole place was dancing the entire time.
Caribou live in Winnipeg was a good show. They played all of Andorra and some of the previous album.
I’ve seen a lot of good shows. Too many to mention.
Played some openers at some good gigs along the way as well.

Any gig that makes me go home humming a melody and wanting to stay up all night with the guitar is a good gig to have taken in.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:19 pm

Absolutely BoringPostcards! Well said.

(BTW, I have no idea what these bands are. I'll be checking them out. Thanks!)

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 pm

Seeing/hearing this at the start of a grainy pirated VHS copy of '1991: The Year Punk Broke' is a huge one for me:

Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:19 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 pm
Seeing/hearing this at the start of a grainy pirated VHS copy of '1991: The Year Punk Broke' is a huge one for me:

Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia
That very performance from that same pirated VHS was my first experience with Sonic Youth beyond hearing Kool Thing on music television.
It blew my mind. I couldn’t understand how they were making their guitars sound the way they did, nor could I grasp how it all came together so beautifully, even though it had so much dissonance.
Digging into their back catalog afterwards was also an eye opener. Especially their first 4 albums. There was so much to learn.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 am

PapaB wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:19 pm

I highly recommend you check out Caribou - Andorra. It’s a beautiful album.
I also highly recommend The Tragically Hip. They were one of Canada’s most loved and popular bands for 30 plus years. They were sadly overlooked in the US, although they had some popularity in Europe and elsewhere.
Nirvana opened for them several times when Nirvana were still unknown. Gord referenced Kurt a few times in lyrics since his death.
The Hip sound nothing like Nirvana though. They are very much a straight rock band. What makes them special is their lyrics and imagery. Their singer and songwriter, Gord Downie (RIP) was an amazing poet and a stellar frontman. The band is tight and well rehearsed and knew each other inside and out. They would often go into long jams during shows, where Gord would go on a poetic rant and get the crowd going.
Do check out these three Hip albums: Fully Completely, Trouble at the Henhouse, and Phantom Power.
There is a lot of Canadiana in there. References you won’t get as an American, and what not. Nonetheless, it’s great music.

The Tragically Hip - Poets
Last edited by BoringPostcards on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 am
PapaB wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:19 pm

I highly recommend you check out Caribou - Andorra. It’s a beautiful album.
I also highly recommend The Tragically Hip. They were Canada’s most loved and popular bands for 30 plus years. They were sadly overlooked in the US, although they had some popularity in Europe and elsewhere.
Nirvana opened for them several times when Nirvana were still unknown. Gord referenced Kurt a few times in lyrics since his death.
The Hip sound nothing like Nirvana though. They are very much a straight rock band. What makes them special is their lyrics and imagery. Their singer and songwriter, Gord Downie (RIP) was an amazing poet and a stellar frontman. The band is tight and well rehearsed and knew each other inside and out. They would often go into long jams during shows, where Gord would go on a poetic rant and get the crowd going.
Do check out these three Hip albums: Fully Completely, Trouble at the Henhouse, and Phantom Power.
There is a lot of Canadiana in there. References you won’t get as an American, and what not. Nonetheless, it’s great music.

The Tragically Hip - Poets
I'm convinced there's something in the water in Canada that leads to great lyricists. Gord, John K. Samson, Joel Plaskett, Jim Bryson...

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnumCn1NuaU&t=99s

Sunny Day in 1999, so good they released it as an album.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:31 pm

I will BoringPostCards. Thank you very much for the suggestion .... Best wishes on all your endeavours, especially musically.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:43 am

Siouxsie and the Banshees and Big Country on the BBC "Rock Goes To College" shows and U2 live at Red Rocks on Channel 4 were what inspired me to learn guitar.

Yes... I have a Yamaha SG1000 like McGeoch's, a blacked out maple neck 70s Mex Strat like the Edge's, an AC30 and a JC120.... It never went away.

The other pivotal performance for me was the Mission at Sheffield City Hall in 1987 - I ended up living in Denmark after meeting "the one I let go so she could spread her wings" and eventually my wife because of that gig and following the band around all over the place. Wayne Hussey eventually gave my oldest son nail varnish tips during his emo phase.

I broke up with U2 in about 1989 but got back on board for Achtung Baby. Divorced them about 10 years ago. The LiveNation collab was the final straw for me. I kept the records. They kept the money. Bono's a better writer than singer these days. His book is very good.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:42 pm

Lol. The Edge has recently spoken of wanting to be on the vanguard of a future guitar renaissance in music.... Maybe their style will toughen up a bit. (I have missed their raw, edgy, almost punk energy of their Sunday, Bloody Sunday days! )
I'll have to check out Siouxie & others you mention again.
(Big Country, was that the band with the song Big Country? Those guys had a BIG sound, gorgeous tone .... Almost like bagpipes but with guitars.)
Be well.