My new music.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Telliot
Mods
Mods

My new music.

Post by Telliot » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:02 am

I hope you all don't mind me sharing here. My old music thread is long and takes place over so many years I thought it would be better to start fresh rather than reanimate that whole thing, missing links and all.

I've got 2 projects going simultaneously: my primary bread and butter stuff - much of which I've shared here before - called Odd Opal; and a fun side project where I get to make unabashed pop music full of synths and catchy choruses, called The Lunar District. (BTW, you can follow both on IG under @oddopal_official and @thelunardistrict_official.) I'm terrible at social media and don't post much, but I do let people know when new music is coming out.

I'm working on an LP for The Lunar District, but trying a waterfall release approach, where I release several singles and EPs that piggyback onto the next release to extend my rollout and give people more of a chance to actually hear it before it disappears into the archives. It's kind of annoying but nobody knows who I am so it's a way to increase exposure for the music along the way, and all the metadata for the previously released songs are automatically added to the new music as you go, giving each release more traction (theoretically).

Anyway, if you're in the mood for some synthpop with moody lyrics, please take a listen. More coming in the weeks/months ahead!

System Error EP links:

Spotify
Apple Music
System Error Video

Thanks for listening. :)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My new music.

Post by sal paradise » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:44 am

This sounds cool- it’s instant, and I love the happy/melancholy dichotomy of the sound. Will give it a proper listen tomorrow morning with my coffee 8)
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:54 am

Very nice. I like the very obvious Depeche Mode vibe it has. I don't listen to a lot of this sort of thing but I always enjoy it when I do.

A*
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:58 pm

Going to give this a spin on the dog walk later.

Just out of curiosity how are you handling mastering with this kind of rolled out release?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:46 am

Enjoyed these on a 2nd listen. Added it to a playlist, too. Doomsday Dance is my favourite. Like Jsett said, the depeche mode groove is cool & works with the vocal 👌🏼
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:06 am

Cool stuff. No Atmosphere is my favorite track so far. I really like the way you’ve woven together simple melody lines on these songs. Also, the low end sounds great. Nice job.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:16 am

No surprise, I like it a lot. I like the electronic stuff quite a bit.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! I appreciate the feedback and support, and of course, if you know people who might enjoy this I'd love for you to share. I think at this point it's mostly just friends and family listening, sooo... ::)
marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:58 pm
Just out of curiosity how are you handling mastering with this kind of rolled out release?
I’m mastering everything myself, so I get to control the sound from song to song and keep them (hopefully) sounding somewhat similar to each other. Whether or not I'm mastering these well is up for debate.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:54 am

Telliot wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am
Whether or not I'm mastering these well is up for debate.
Spotify is a lousy way to make such judgements, but it sounds pretty good to me.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 pm

Listened to it all. This not the kind of music that I typically go to, but I have come to really like some of the electronica (is that the right term?)... (e.g., the remix of Fever from the Adjustment Bureau film)...

Anyway, I am damned impressed. Telliot, I dk what you do in the real world (maybe you are a professional sound engineer). But... wow. Loved it. (also loved the pop-ish tunes. Parts of "Contact" reminded me of the theme form the Airwolf (television show) from the 80's. It goes without saying that you got real talent.

Gracias.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:17 pm

jthomas wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 pm
Listened to it all. This not the kind of music that I typically go to, but I have come to really like some of the electronica (is that the right term?)... (e.g., the remix of Fever from the Adjustment Bureau film)...

Anyway, I am damned impressed. Telliot, I dk what you do in the real world (maybe you are a professional sound engineer). But... wow. Loved it. (also loved the pop-ish tunes. Parts of "Contact" reminded me of the theme form the Airwolf (television show) from the 80's. It goes without saying that you got real talent.

Gracias.
Oh wow, thanks SO much! To answer your question, I'm a car designer by trade and am self-taught when it comes to mixing and mastering (well, with everything, really), so I really appreciate your comments -- I guess I'm finally showing signs of improving. :)

It's funny, as soon as you mentioned the Airwolf theme, I totally knew what you meant. Who knows where these musical ideas spawn from and of course, why not from early memories, including theme songs I grew up hearing?? It totally makes sense, honestly.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:13 pm

I’ll check it out as soon as I have the chance. Tonight we have a snowstorm, so I’ll be hunkering down with some Under Byen and hot coffee.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:40 am

This thread escaped me until now even though I am the self-appointed resident fanboy, which is probably why I already know 3 out of the 4 songs. System Error I havent heard before. Did you make this video yourself using footage from some website?

I think about TLD and OO in the same way I do The Fireman and Paul McCartney. I like all the songs but the more "classic" approach to songwriting and arrangement means that Odd Opal remains my first love, but the two sometimes blend into a perfect confection (the "somewhere far away part" in Contact for example). Contact drives hard -- I am finding it challenging typing this post because of all the headbopping I am doing.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:31 am

If we lived in the same town when I was younger and we knew each other I would have wanted to be in a band with you.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:25 am

Thanks, all, for the lovely comments. My next “EP” (in quotes because it will be these 4 songs plus a new one) comes out this month, and then another release in May.

mediocreplayer wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:40 am
As always, thank you. You’ve been one of the vocal few whose supportive and encouraging words over the years have helped me get to the point where I’m finally releasing music into the world. I can’t express what that’s meant to me.

After this project is finally released all my attention will return to Odd Opal and follow suit in a similar way (a series of EPs leading up to a full LP). As much fun as The Lunar District is, I’m excited to get back into my bread and butter butter stuff.

MKR wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:31 am
If we lived in the same town when I was younger and we knew each other I would have wanted to be in a band with you.
That’s quite a compliment, thanks so much!!