What did you listen to this year?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What did you listen to this year?

Post by seenoevil II » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:15 pm

blacktiger wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:56 pm
seenoevil II wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:46 pm
Who the fuck cares what I've listened to though? We peaked with iPods. We're now in the after times for music.
Hey man, I don’t care if you don’t. Sorry for asking.

Apple Music is an unlimited iPod that you pay for monthly that never crashes and loses your entire music collection. If you think iPods were a peak for anything, I can see why you’re in a bad mood. FTR, streaming is no kind of peak either, but it’s never fucked me over like THREE actual iPods did, which all mysteriously stopped working simultaneously. I guess I wasn’t quick enough to buy new hardware…
I won't get into a whole debate over it, but suffice it to say that I think the owned copy was a better model for the consumer than the permitted license. When I said "who the fuck cares" that wasn't directed at you here for asking and having this thread, it was more of a reaction to this thing of social media companies prompting us to share parts of ourselves in a way that feel almost obligatory.

I totally see how it's just a bit of fun, and if in the before times your stereo kept stats that it printed out at the end of the year, I'm that would've been fun to share too.

I'm in a lousy state of mind of late and I've never been a fan of tech monopolies especially with regard to what they've done to music.

But then, it's all true. That's how I consumed music in 2022.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:31 pm

A lot of

FACS
The Go-Betweens
Taylor Swift
Boss Hog
The Frames
Bluebottle Kiss
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:18 am

Contrary to some I love the Spotify wrapped time of year. It’s a fun way to find out people’s music tastes (and find out if your preconceptions about their taste in music was right all along :ph34r: ) and learn about new bands. I’ve even made it part of homework assignments in the past.

That being said, here’s my wrapped:
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 pm

Top 5 Songs

Ashes By Now - Emmylou Harris
Everso - Swervedriver
King Kunta - Kendrick Lamar
I'm Fine - Odd Opal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hio2RmrO7Wc :-* :-* :-*
Nocturne - Julian Lage

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:16 pm

I don’t have me of those top 5 people have been posting lately…
But a lot of dag nasty, hot water music, Kurt vile, dinosaur jr, and whatever my new wave station plays. Actually, a metric crap ton of 80’s new wave stuff. Lots and lots.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:53 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:15 pm
I won't get into a whole debate over it, but suffice it to say that I think the owned copy was a better model for the consumer than the permitted license. When I said "who the fuck cares" that wasn't directed at you here for asking and having this thread, it was more of a reaction to this thing of social media companies prompting us to share parts of ourselves in a way that feel almost obligatory.

I totally see how it's just a bit of fun, and if in the before times your stereo kept stats that it printed out at the end of the year, I'm that would've been fun to share too.

I'm in a lousy state of mind of late and I've never been a fan of tech monopolies especially with regard to what they've done to music.

But then, it's all true. That's how I consumed music in 2022.
I get it, and I 1000% prefer a hard copy to digital media (even if I “own” it). I still buy anything I really like on vinyl or CD, but most of my daily listening while I work is through streaming, purely for convenience sake. My wife pretty much ONLY streams, and it’s not much more to have a family Apple Music account than an individual one, so to a certain extent, I’m just along for the ride. It is very nice to be able to check things out that I’m interested in to see if I want to buy them, though.

As for my motives, I am genuinely curious what other people are listening to. I have been turned onto a lot of great music over the years through hearing what like-minded people are listening to, some that I probably wouldn’t have discovered otherwise.
Thread killer

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:36 pm

WFMU for the most part. Then bought a couple of records on bandcamp that I heard there first. Some stuff I found through folks I follow on bandcamp. Bought some cassettes at friends‘ gigs. Every band I know seems to be going back to tape, because of the vinyl backlog and because they’re cheaper than CDs, and hardly anyone wants CDs anyway.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Top 5 from Spotify:

Tom Waits
White Lies
Editors
Julian Plenti
The Wolfgang Press

I listen to Spotify only in the car, and when my 6 worthwhile local radio station presets let me down:

1- X96: Alternative station that's been going strong on everything from Depeche Mode to 21 Pilots since the '90s (Great morning show.)
2- NPR station with some decent localized news content mixed in.
3- KOHS: Last-of-its-kind high-school station that lets the kids DJ for class credit. They've got a great '80s library, and aren't opposed to throw on weird requests and local bands releases, etc. My kids DJ'd here in their high-school years and had a blast. Also- they play my band from time to time!
4- KRCL: Community-supported pot-pourri station that has a mix of different shows. Reggae-roots, soul jams, indie darlings, korean-language music hours, spoken-word electronic storytelling, Black Metal & OG punk shows- you never know what to expect. I've even heard my band on here a time or two!
5- The Wave: new-wave & alternative classics. (Basically the 'oldies' station)
6- Ciento-siete-punto-uno-efe-eme. 24/7 Mariachi.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:09 pm

I discovered the late Justin Townes Earl this year. Oh my. When he writes and sings a song about lost love and loneliness, it... speaks to how much pain a person can experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADze2X_dmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIe9bECKvYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnOHHywkTCs

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:25 am

Spotify says:

1. Die Nerven / self-titled
2. The Mars Volta / self-titled
3. The Smile / A Light for attracting Attention
4. Lance Butters / Sommer EP
5. DIIV / Live at the Murmrr

also lots of Kurt Vile, Dino Jr, Thom Yorke, Fontaines DC, The Cure. And i strangely really like that 11:11:11-Thing MGMT put out a Month ago.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 am

Old obscure blues and country. Weird stuff I find on Youtube. Streaming services typically don't have much that I want. The one new thing the kids mighta heard of is GA-20. I bought their new one at a show and left it in the car for a bit. Probably the majority of listening this year was learning songs for two different bands.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:46 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:31 pm
The Go-Betweens
I’ve listened to the Go-Betweens more this fall than I ever have in my life.

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:49 am

I don't have/use either spotify or apple music and bandcamp doesn't keep track of how much you play things.
But by memory:
A lot of Sault, take your pick all of their stuff is good.
Holodrum - Holodrum
Sorry - Anywhere But Here
R.M.F.C - all of their stuff is outstanding
Loose Fit - Social Graces
The Armed - Ultrapop
Kids on a Crime Spree - Fall in Love Not in Line
Asteroid Ekosystem - Asteroid Ekosystem (kind of a jazz/improv thing with Ed Kuepper and others you probably know)
Just Mustard - Heart Under
Swervedriver
That's probably my most played stuff, especially those new Sorry and Just Mustard releases.

I've also been working on a show that uses commercial music so I've heard a lot more top 100 stuff this year than I have in years and there is some good stuff. Jungle have definitely moved onto my musical radar and I can appreciate other stuff I wouldn't normally give time too.