The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
dc
Expat
Expat

Re: The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by dc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 pm
Seriously?
:D i dig ... but yeah, seriously. i grew up with all of this stuff (Revolver and i came into the world the same year) and loved every minute of the film, and will watch it many more times. i just find the Let It Be album itself to be pretty hit or miss in the fuller context of their catalog, and the Harrison songs unremarkable given what he had waiting around the corner for Abbey Road and then the amazing All Things Must Pass.
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:57 am

Much as I love George I have to say I find For You Blue an utterly tedious pot-boiler of a song. I Me Mine is more pleasing to the ear, but given the fact Phil Spector had to splice it so it repeated itself it'd be unfair to regard it as anything other than pretty slim pickings.

To my mind it's criminal that they didn't do a solid version of All Things Must Pass, cos with Lennon & McCartney on backing vocals and Paul's infinitely superior bassline, even the barely-there Beatles' version pisses all over the LP take.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:42 am

sookwinder wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 pm
dc wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:33 pm
and George Harrison, damn – his contributions to Let It Be are marginal at best
Seriously?

I ME MINE is awesome and I wish it was a real long version like they did in the Twickenham rehearsals, not just a "hey guys we need you to record a proper version because I ME MINE is in the movie but so far you haven't recorded it in the studio"

FOR YOU BLUE, again awesome .... it's a happy go lucky blues ... your dog hasn't died, your girlfriend hasn't left you, you are still mates with your best friend... Seeing Lennon playing the lap steel on this track was one of the highlight for me
I like I me mine a lot. That song is a work of art, but to me for you blue sounds like a demo recording - there's just something missing from the finished product. Great song, but let down by production.

I think a really good harrison song that got swept under the rug was not guilty. Maybe that one was from the white album sessions? Either way that one should have seen the light of day on an actual album (although the vibe was probably too psyche to fit on a rootsy sounding record like let it be).

I watched the first 30 mins or so of episode 2 and fuck me it's picking up right where the first episode left off. at this point i will just say it's boring.

Maybe/hopefully/probably it turns around soon and finishes strong (?)

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:34 am

I had moments of boredom until I realized that I was getting to be a fly on the wall at a Beatles recording session. What could be better? I suppose getting to be a fly on the wall during almost every other one of their recording sessions would be cooler but I'm not complaining. ;D I agree with the earlier poster, it almost felt that you were hanging out with the Beatles for a couple of weeks.

I personally think that they were getting along with Yoko being there and they were cordially discussing working on their own projects and coming back to the Beatles when it was time to work on the Beatles. Then they start mentioning Allen Klein. To me if it's one thing, even though I know it's multiple things, it was the disagreement on who should manage the Beatles that broke them up.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:47 am

I started it last night, I am enjoying it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:10 am

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that Abbey Road has stronger songs. I might be inclined to the opposite opinion on balance…the entire second side of AR is mostly fragments stitched together (expertly!) into a medley. And it contains two of George’s finest.

But “Let It Be” has several songs that would fare very well with just one voice and one instrument, which has always been my acid test of a “great song.”

What Abbey Road has over Let It Be is a more-focused and fully-realized production.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:15 am

Both Abbey Road and Let It Be have some out and out misfires on them in my opinion. Like Brad mentions, Abbey Road tends to smooth out the weaker moments better than Let It Be does.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:01 pm

When I used to play Beatles albums a lot, it struck me that Abbey Road was their weakest; it only really has Come Together, Something and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight that seem really great to me. Compared to, say, Hard Day's Night that it pretty much classic from start to finish, or even Beatles For Sale that starts with a brilliant triptych of No Reply, I'm a Loser and Baby's In Black.

And I'd be happy to never hear Octopus's Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through The Bathroom Window, Mean Mr Mustard, Because, She's So Heavy and Sun King again. For me that's a lot of filler for an album that regularly gets lionised.

It sounds great though. Wonderful production.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Although it is aired publicly for the first time in this Get Back doco the George Harrison song “I told you before” is edited down to a section where we see Linda’s daughter Heather do her best Yoko Ono impression
There is at least another 5 minutes of that track where the band is grooving to the Harrison riff with George singing (not to mention other takes) so heaps of George’s songs still on the cutting room floor

I also don’t recall seeing the awesome 50s country rock song Honey Hush
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:16 am

FrankRay wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:01 pm
When I used to play Beatles albums a lot, it struck me that Abbey Road was their weakest; it only really has Come Together, Something and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight that seem really great to me. Compared to, say, Hard Day's Night that it pretty much classic from start to finish, or even Beatles For Sale that starts with a brilliant triptych of No Reply, I'm a Loser and Baby's In Black.

And I'd be happy to never hear Octopus's Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through The Bathroom Window, Mean Mr Mustard, Because, She's So Heavy and Sun King again. For me that's a lot of filler for an album that regularly gets lionised.

....aaaand this just confirms that music is all about opinion.

And in my ongoing saga of watching "get back" i finally got to when Billy Preston joins and suddenly things got a whole lot better! ...both the show and the band.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:39 am

I finally finished this last night. Our family had gotten into a habit of watching 20-30 minutes every evening. I am enjoying seeing my daughter running around the house screaming that Sweet Loretta Martin thought she was a woman....
FrankRay wrote:
When I used to play Beatles albums a lot, it struck me that Abbey Road was their weakest;
Ha -- this is an absolutely wild take.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:57 am
Much as I love George I have to say I find For You Blue an utterly tedious pot-boiler of a song.
Yeah, I have to agree with all who disparaged For You Blue. It's a mediocre song. I also agree with the 2-song-per-record quota that George was assigned. His best songs, of which there are not many, are as good as anything L/M ever did, but the quality of his overall output falls far behind these guys. If you have two songs and you submit Savoy Truffle as one of them, you do not deserve to get more in my opinion.
Last edited by mediocreplayer on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 am

FrankRay wrote:

I can get my head around about 50% of this but, for me, I Want You (She's So Heavy) in particular is up there with the best tracks they ever recorded. In fact, just looking back through the track listing reminds me just how many great tracks are on that album.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 am
I can get my head around about 50% of this but, for me, I Want You (She's So Heavy) in particular is up there with the best tracks they ever recorded.
+1million

The first time I heard it I was like "this is the fucking BEATLES!?!?" Paul's bassline alone... get outta here!
Local milk person

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:12 am

Dok wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 am
I can get my head around about 50% of this but, for me, I Want You (She's So Heavy) in particular is up there with the best tracks they ever recorded.
+1million

The first time I heard it I was like "this is the fucking BEATLES!?!?" Paul's bassline alone... get outta here!
Yessssss!
Such a killer song!

We just finished it (also in 1h pieces a day) - and it was really enjoyable!
So many kind and funny moments in there!
Also +1 on Billy Preston was indeed an enrichment!

Have you all checked out Paul‘s new song „Slidin“? https://paulmccartney.lnk.to/McCartney3 again quite heavy! And especially for an 80year old man!

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:28 pm

The choir teacher at my school is a massive beatles fan boy....he even wears those beatles boots. I don't hate them..but beatles fan people are annoying as hell by always saying they were great for this and that. Everybody knows there songs, they have become one of the foundational blocks of modern music....no doubt. But, I'd rather listen to The Who.