Happy 30th Birthday, Nevermind...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Happy 30th Birthday, Nevermind...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 am
...Incesticide...

...I loved that album like crazy. I was totally into Nirvana, buying rarities bootlegs and shit. I loved their cover of D7...
This is like a topsy-turvy way of where I ended up.

I was at both the Bleach & Nevermind gigs (Leeds & Reading) but long before Incesticide came out I'd picked up a bootleg LP called Wipeout (the only record that's ever been stolen from me, after a drunken party in my first year of college!). It had a few of the songs that ended up on Incesticide, maybe different versions. I can't remember.

The D7 version on that bootleg is still one of my favourite songs they recorded, along with Molly's Lips & Son Of A Gun - all covers! For me this was the high point of my Nirvana love affair.

( For the record, School is still the best song Nirvana ever wrote ;) )

By the time Incesticide came out I was super-jaded. I'd come back from the '92 Reading Festival, having watched them towards the back of a HUGE crowd. I had no desire to muscle through to the front. Nothing like the year before!! (OK, the video footage of that '92 gig has become legendary but if they'd filmed '91 with the same attention & clarity it'd be just as, probably even more iconic).

Here's where my own selfishness kicked in. I'd followed these guys from very early on, watched them grow, been part of a clan & then had it somehow taken away from me. Diluted. Turned mainstream. It felt so wrong, which is probably textbook teenage angst.

By the time In Utero came out I'd almost lost interest completely. Years on it's still the album I've heard the least (even though Radio Friendly Unit Shifter is a fantastic track!)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:30 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:58 am
quick off topic but hazel did a great video about an infamous sub/translation from the late 80's or 90's. you might know this story but if you don't, might be a good watch.
https://youtu.be/iQFEGRtOamg
Good watch. ;) Love those old Anime. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:01 pm

This anniversary date confuses me. The first time I heard Nirvana was Dec 1990. I was in California. I was visiting some family. My cousins had a stepsister that was my age, and she introduced me to the band. Im pretty sure it was Nevermind, or at least songs from the album.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:01 pm
This anniversary date confuses me. The first time I heard Nirvana was Dec 1990. I was in California. I was visiting some family. My cousins had a stepsister that was my age, and she introduced me to the band. Im pretty sure it was Nevermind, or at least songs from the album.
well, if memory serves (i literally just did a work assignment on this, so i hope memory serves...): that was around the time sonic youth was given a copy, which ultimately resulted in them (nirvana) getting signed to geffen... maybe your step-cousin had a sweet hookup.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:25 pm

^^Yeah, i should ask her. Though, i haven't spoken to her since then. My cousins still keep in touch with her.

I came back to Canada in January of 1991, it didn't take long for the band to become huge over here too. Im talking only a few months if that.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:12 pm

From what I understand it was remixed prior to being released. Didn’t realize they had a version out making the rounds that early.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:13 am

According to wikipedia it was recorded between May and June 1991, so I'd guess you're misremembering. Unless your cousin had a time machine, or something. There was an early version of In Bloom, I think, doing the rounds, and Polly predated the Geffen deal. But otherwise, a 1991 record.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:37 am

Maybe it wasn't Nevermind, and just Nirvana songs?

I'll see if i can find my old passport to double check the dates of the trip.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:11 am

tribi9 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:37 am
Maybe it wasn't Nevermind, and just Nirvana songs?

I'll see if i can find my old passport to double check the dates of the trip.
Could have been one of the many bootlegs that floated around maybe that fans made of live shows and demos? I used to have a bunch of those fan made CD's in the day before my CD binder was stolen out of my car.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Mistery solved, the trip was Dec 1991. I was back in Canada Jan 02, 1992. So Nevermind would have been less than 3 months old.

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:19 am

I didn’t get a copy of Nevermind until summer 1992. Money was always tight back then as a kid, so I wasn’t going to buy a cassette on the strength of only one song. I liked Teen Spirit when it hit MTV, but it was really Come As You Are, and especially Lithium, that convinced me to buy the album.

I listened to it a ton over the next couple years, but didn’t follow Nirvana (or any band) at all. It wasn’t until the Heart Shaped Box video that I was like “oh yeah, those guys…”. They seemed to me like fad that had passed by. I’d missed the Sliver video and was not a fan of the new song either.

Then I saw the All Apologies video from Unplugged and was instantly obsessed with Nirvana. I borrowed a friend’s cassette copy of In Utero and was really into it. Having gotten a CD player that previous Christmas I think In Utero was one of the first CDs I bought. I got Bleach and Incesticide shortly after. Then Cobain had the coma incident, and of course his suicide that next month.

I spent the next year totally obsessed with all things Nirvana. Fortunately I grew out of the fascination. (Well…except Kurt’s guitars. I remained obsessed with those a bit longer). But Nirvana inspired me to pick up guitar and also put me on a path to discovering a lot of great music beyond MTV and my parents’ (excellent) classic rock collection.

Nevermind is probably the one I listen to the least these days. But I still have it on vinyl and the Super Deluxe Edition on CD. (side note - I really like these editions where you get the original album along with all the associated B-sides and unreleased tracks).

But nonetheless Nevermind is one of the most important and impactful albums in my life for sure. I still love the songs and did a couple Nirvana covers in my band (Come As You Are and All Apologies).

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:42 am

Smells like teen spirit was and still is my least favourite song from the album.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:54 am

Same. My favorite has been Lounge Act for quite a while. I really like the bass line.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:37 pm

burpgun wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:07 am
But I was also just hitting legal drinking age when "Nevermind" came out and was already throughly into alternative and punk stuff then. So while I could see they had good songs, there was nothing to me that was mind blowing. It just seemed like a well played, more focused version of what was out there.
This was my situation as well. I was 19 when Nevermind was released and had been listening to proto-punk, punk, post-punk, and all of the subgenres that fed into and spun out of that music since I was 14. Nirvana was a blast of fresh air that blew away the fetid fumes of Poison, Great White, Warrant, and the like, but their chief attraction to me was how they'd brought "my music" to the forefront of popular culture at the time. I was too young and naive to realize that this happens every ten years or so, and I was far too shortsighted to realize that Nirvana's mainstream success would lead to years of dollar-clutching simulations of their unique creative expression.

Mudhoney always sounded more like what I heard in my head when tI heard the word "grunge," but Nirvana is undeiniably good. About three years ago I ducked out of the rain into a rmostly empty record store after a few beers at the brewery next door, just as the owner was cueing up "Nevermind." As track after chart-topping track played through, I was more and more amazed. At some point I looked up at the owner , m motioned towards the speakers and said "Really?!?" in amazement. He said "I mean, yeah, I know!" More than 25+ years later, at that point, the record was (and is) still a stunner.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 am

I have a hard time separating out all the post -release discussion around it. I was 14, and at that point, not aware of a lot of their influences or anything like that. I was a heavy metal and house music kid. I don't remember being blown away by it, but I remember it being a big deal and I did like the heavy parts of it. I remember being home alone and headbanging to most of the video and having a sore neck the next day. I bought the album sometime in early November and liked it. I never really followed what they did after that, and by the time he committed suicide my friends thought of themselves and music and culture snobs and scoffed at his death. I don't ever listen to it now, but when i do hear it, it's like any other album that is connected to a strong sense of nostalgia (not good or bad) for a certain period in my life. In retrospect I always thought it was partially a right place, right time sorta thing for them.