"Turbo Toggle" Rat mod?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

"Turbo Toggle" Rat mod?

Post by MrShake » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi everybody.

I've been working on some basic Rat mods and have hit a speed bump. I promise I've done a lot of searching before asking, but the problem is that since everyone has a favorite variation or twist on each one, I'm buried in options, and I'm still learning how to read schematics. I'm trying, but hoping that understanding this one will help me understand some bigger-picture electronics stuff, too.

I'd like to end up with a 2-way mode switch to choose between standard silicon Rat clipping and LED clipping, "Turbo Rat"-style. I've got the parts, and THINK I've come up with the right method. I've sketched out what I think is the correct way to do it, but wanted to check with the experts whether this plan would work. (The dotted D3 & D2 represent where the stock diodes to br removed from the board used to be):

For reference:

Here are my concerns:

1) most of the "Mightier Mouse"-type mods I've seen call for a 3-way switch for a "diode lift" option. I'm not after more than "standard" and "Turbo" (LED). Will the 2-position SPDT switch I have do what I want? Or should I just go ahead and get the 3-position switch?

2) Is there a specific size/type of red LEDs I should be using? 5mm?

3) I'm not too worried about wiring up the switch (and making sure to pair the diodes "opposite" each other, as well). But do I have my diodes-to-board wiring correct as far as where each wire goes from the switch?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. And I promise I'll keep trying to learn!

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Turbo Toggle" Rat mod?

Post by FightingPlankton » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 am

1) your setup will be fine. the 3 position is center off, which is just a bit of a boost and less gritty.

2)i *believe* they had some made with 3mm and some with 5mm. my rat clone uses 3mm. now, there is only a very slight difference in sound each produces. Almost unnoticable. you'll be fine with whichever u use.

3) yes, since they are wired in parallel and not in series, you could connect to the end points of either diode.(and remove said diode)
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:41 am

FightingPlankton wrote:1) your setup will be fine. the 3 position is center off, which is just a bit of a boost and less gritty.

2)i *believe* they had some made with 3mm and some with 5mm. my rat clone uses 3mm. now, there is only a very slight difference in sound each produces. Almost unnoticable. you'll be fine with whichever u use.

3) yes, since they are wired in parallel and not in series, you could connect to the end points of either diode.(and remove said diode)

Thank you very much, Mr. Plankton. Here's to you. Your answer also helped clarify something else I was wondering about the parallel/series stuff, so thanks for that as well. I've got some 5mm LEDs on hand, so I'll try those.

I'll dive in now, and let you know how it went.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Due to your help, I was able to get it done and it sounds great. Got one it done before I had to go run some errands -- liked it so much that I did the same mod to my other Rat when I got home. Thanks again!

polfuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by polfuzz » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:32 pm

I know it's been a long time since this post got love, but gotta ask if some one would know:

would it be possible to replace the switch above with a footswitch? And also - would it be possible to wire in some leds also that would show which mode is on?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:40 pm

polfuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:32 pm
I know it's been a long time since this post got love, but gotta ask if some one would know:

would it be possible to replace the switch above with a footswitch? And also - would it be possible to wire in some leds also that would show which mode is on?
Yeah, if you're happy to not have the central "off" option, you could do it with a DPDT footswitch and a standard LED indicator setup so that it illuminates an extra LED to indicate "Turbo" mode. Or wire it slightly differently with a bi-colour LED so there's a light for each mode in the same hole. Pretty simple mod really.

Just put this on the other side of the footswitch to the circuit above...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:29 am

polfuzz wrote:

Oh wow, I missed this blast from the past! So weird to re-read your own old posts!

Polfuzz, Johnny's got you taken care of, but good questions. If I were gonna DIY an enclosure for a Rat these days, I'd definitely make the Turbo option footswitchable. And eight years later, I still say the Turbo switch is way more worth the time than the Ruetz mod - in my books, just about every Rat should be Turbo'd... because, why not? 8)

If you were using separate colored LEDs, I suppose one could use a DPDT switch and have the second pole throw alternate between 2 LEDs, or a 3PDT with the Turbo in the center and a separate LED "channel" on either side.

But that bicolor setup above is almost certainly the best option, and what I'll be using in the future if I wanna add an LED -- thanks Johnny!

Happy Stompin', polfuzz! Just beware, it's a slippery slope. I swapped the chip, then I was all "Oh, I think I'll add a Turbo Toggle..." and here's the same Rat a few years later. The Turbo LEDs are now by the footswitch, so they flicker as they clip.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:12 am

On that note, I’ve had this thing for years. I can’t even remember what the toggle switch does.

One on the foot switches is a boost (again, don’t remember which), and there’s a trim pot in the battery compartment for boost level

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:40 am

sal paradise wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:12 am
On that note, I’ve had this thing for years. I can’t even remember what the toggle switch does.

One on the foot switches is a boost (again, don’t remember which), and there’s a trim pot in the battery compartment for boost level

Now you've GOTTA plug it in and see what that switch does!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:19 am

Not that exciting I’m afraid. It’s a 3 way switch.

1st & 3rd position are super quiet & not even useful at all.

2nd position though, seems to be boosted already. It actually sounds awesome though. And BOTH those red lights above the left switch go on 8)

Filter had to be set to nearest the darkest tone. And low gain into a muff sounds pants. It actually stands up better on its own at high gain.

The boost doesn’t seem to add anything, although I was being delicate with the trim pot in the battery area. Didn’t try 0-10.

All in all: a weird thing with tonnes of mods that seems to make one great sound, which is probably just original pedal anyways ;D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

polfuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by polfuzz » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:44 am

Thanks so much for this! Appreciate it massively!

Yeah, it's sorta trade off, but also it might be possible to add a simple on-off mini switch to bypass both the modes.

When I get my pcb, i just might try this twin led -thing in your picture.

I have build one RAT clone before, and want to do another one (with the same pcb), but with some mods :)

I also concidered the ruetz mod, but now I cannot decide ..
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:40 pm
polfuzz wrote:

Yeah, if you're happy to not have the central "off" option, you could do it with a DPDT footswitch and a standard LED indicator setup so that it illuminates an extra LED to indicate "Turbo" mode. Or wire it slightly differently with a bi-colour LED so there's a light for each mode in the same hole. Pretty simple mod really.

Just put this on the other side of the footswitch to the circuit above...