Ibanez Echo Shifter. Anybody tried it?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
hunterjames
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ibanez Echo Shifter. Anybody tried it?

Post by hunterjames » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:32 pm

I am looking at the new Ibanez Echo Shifter. I am not interested in buying it, but it comes in a very appealing enclosure, and at a really good price for a analog delay (150 new). I am more curious than anything else. I wanted to know if anybody had the opportunity to try it out, and what they thought of it. I read a few mixed reviews, and it sounds like some people are having trouble with humming, and other small problems.

medium talent

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ibanez Echo Shifter. Anybody tried it?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 pm

ive been wanting to play one but no guitar shops in glasgow have one. i've asked if anywhere gets one in to give me a phone because i am intrested myself.

while i dont like the idea of the tap tempo (i never use it. i like my delays going out of time with the drums..... adds space) i like every other feture. like the feedback boost in it to make it easyer to "noise out"

it seems to come across to me as a stripped back echo dream but i cant say till i try one.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Now that looks really cool!

I've yet to hear anything about these...
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:08 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Now that looks really cool!

I've yet to hear anything about these...
theres some demos on youtube but none that really make me want to go out and buy one. but it seems cool enough to give a try
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

hunterjames
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hunterjames » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Hmm. Whoever gets their hands on one will have to post and let the world know how it goes. I get this feeling that it might look cooler than it sounds. I have been wrong before though, on several occasions. :-/
medium talent

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 pm

I've listened to and read about it now. Not blown away. I'm a pretty vanilla / delay snob though. (Not looking for mod, crazy mod, or canned oscillation effects.) Cool if one is into that. I still have the occasional delay freakout from time to time. ;)

Build quality seems skeptical. I love the 'idea' of the funciton slider - thats a great idea! ...but I'm sure corner$ were cut to get it down to 150usd. Can't dismiss it though, having never tested one out. That slider just looks really flimsy and slider pots like those can get dirty FAST.

This reminds me of the seemingly gimmicky Danelectro Reel Echo, which despite some noise and other shortcomings, is a really cool and good sounding delay at a similar pricepoint.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

PumpkinPieces
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PumpkinPieces » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 am

A few folks on ilovefuzz love it, one dude has it on his board all the time. Apparently it has some crazy cool runaway oscillation sounds.

Neon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Neon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:ive been wanting to play one but no guitar shops in glasgow have one. i've asked if anywhere gets one in to give me a phone because i am intrested myself.

while i dont like the idea of the tap tempo (i never use it. i like my delays going out of time with the drums..... adds space) i like every other feture. like the feedback boost in it to make it easyer to "noise out"

it seems to come across to me as a stripped back echo dream but i cant say till i try one.
do you have a PMT shop in Glasgow? they've had an echo shifter down here in Bristol for a few months now.. maybe you could ask them to courier it up?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 am

Neon wrote:
s_mcsleazy wrote:ive been wanting to play one but no guitar shops in glasgow have one. i've asked if anywhere gets one in to give me a phone because i am intrested myself.

do you have a PMT shop in Glasgow? they've had an echo shifter down here in Bristol for a few months now.. maybe you could ask them to courier it up?
i dont think so. saying that i aint checked all the music shops. sometime i'll go down the west end and check there.

Spit on a Stranger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spit on a Stranger » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:03 pm

I want one. Seems pretty cool. Looks like it could cover all the sounds I get out of my T-Rex Replica and RE-20 but in one box.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

THREAD REVIVAL!!!

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 am

...almost 10 years after, I revive this thread cuz I was lucky enough to pick one of these babies up for €85
I have a lot of delays, have had the echo dream on my pedal board for years now, but I always wanted something with a tap tempo.

This thing (older 3-knob model, btw. Dunno what the more recent 4-knob one can do better) is so cool looking and sounding!
Only negative is, I don't get why they didn't make it stereo (dry/wet outs).

The Echo Dream will have to go now, as cool as it is...
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:41 am

Happy that you like it, Pat!

Before reading your post I thought this was a much more recent thread and wanted to reply that I only had experience with the old ES-2 model which I had for a short period of time - got it cheap and sold it away quickly because it could NOT replace my Echo Dream… also all tap functions on delays are lost on me. Sadly.

I was so curious to try the slider and actually shifting between times (love the slider on my Surfadelic Mind Fuzz and even built myself an univibe clone with a Slider instead of a speed knob) but I remember it being hard to actually get THE time I wanted it to give me (which is just some slapback most of the time).
I loved the look and liked the way it sounded. But I liked my DE-7 and ED-2 just a bit more.
I wish my Echo Dream had a infinity feedback switch. Stereo outs would be a nice extra indeed!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:47 am

I love the commitment we have here to necromancing & resuscitating ancient threads rather than start a new one. Commendable really.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:26 pm

Also the fact that nobody seems to give people grief for resurrecting old threads. I’ve been on boards before where people seem to get annoyed at olds threads coming back up from new members, but I’ve seen a few old threads resurrected recently and the whole conversations have started up again and everyone seems cool with it. I love that. :)

Also, I too assumed this was a new thread until I saw the post “after 10 years I resurrect this thread…” :D will teach me to look at post dates.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:38 pm

I used to have the 3 knob version (v2) and really liked it. It was a great pedal, honestly, and I don't remember why I ended up selling it. There was this weird thing where the LED power light never turned off and I always had to unplug it when not using it, but I think that's just how it was set up. I've had old BOSS pedals that functioned similarly.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.