Re: The Zvex lounge....

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:15 pm

:)

I just got an ooh wah II to compliment my loop junky! Man I got it at a sweet deal, too, on ebay. I've been using it for a couple hours and it really is my favorite over the seek wah. I never could stay happy using the seek, but with the random function and the start at one design of the ooh, it really is awesome.
I just finished dumping a cool chordal riff into my junky and it rocked with the vibrato.

Anyone else try dumping your ooh wah riffs into a looper? I like the potential, but haven't done a lot yet.
It works well with my script 90, too.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Congrats man ! Glad to hear you like it so much...
To loop riffs coming out of the Ooh wah is a good idea... 8)
Make great songs with it and let us hear !  ;)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:47 pm

k o y l wrote: Congrats man ! Glad to hear you like it so much...
To loop riffs coming out of the Ooh wah is a good idea... 8)
Make great songs with it and let us hear !  ;)
Thanks man! :) I'll be aiming to get some of my music, some with the looped ooh wah, uploaded this summer.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:32 am

Felix wrote: Anyone else try dumping your ooh wah riffs into a looper?
I've done a similar thing with a seek trem into a lofi in some of the instrumental tracks I've been recording recently, using it to set the rhythm of the piece rather than a click track or whatever.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:52 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Felix wrote: Anyone else try dumping your ooh wah riffs into a looper?
I've done a similar thing with a seek trem into a lofi in some of the instrumental tracks I've been recording recently, using it to set the rhythm of the piece rather than a click track or whatever.
I'll  be happy to hear that as well... ;)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:01 am

I'm working on several things at the moment .. hearing everyone else's great stuff on here has inspired me to have a go. I don't know how good it'll be or how quickly I'm going to get things done .. but there's an instrumental project, a sort of fuzzy pop project and a couple of other bits and pieces.

Zvexes seem to be creeping into most of my recordings so far, usually the Lofi .. been using it quite a bit on bass as well, recording a simple bass riff and then just looping it through the whole track.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:40 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Zvexes seem to be creeping into most of my recordings so far, usually the Lofi .. been using it quite a bit on bass as well, recording a simple bass riff and then just looping it through the whole track.
Isn't that the truth. Is there anyone who dislikes the loop junky--or a zvex pedal in general.
I didn't anticipate using it as a riff recorder when I initially bought the pedal, but it really has become a great rhythm guitar for my song writing and recording.

I've also found a use in drones... sometimes I use my phase 90 to get a psychadelic swirl underneath my lead. The loop junky is so much more fun than my boomerang
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:43 am

My first use of it was to play a single chord, then click the lofi on and off as the chord was sustaining .. when you loop that you get a piece of chord with no fixed beginning or end that repeats endlessly .. very floaty, spaces me right out.

There's a drone with phase in one of my instrumental tracks too, a single note played with an ebow, looped in the lofi and then run through a phaser, much like you're describing.

Another thing I've been trying is to record something rhythmic like a simple bass line, then run it through a delay .. initially with the feedback and delay volume down very low, then gradually turning it up so over a few minutes the inital rhythmic quality disappears into a wash of sound.
Last edited by mezcalhead on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:46 am

mezcalhead wrote: My first use of it was to play a single chord, then click the lofi on and off as the chord was sustaining .. when you loop that you get a piece of chord with no fixed beginning or end that repeats endlessly .. very floaty, spaces me right out.
Yeah, that's awesome. I do that, too, but with the phase 90 to really spaced out. It's really good for developing tight lead/melody riffs, too. Whenever I'm struggling to find a thematic riff, I usually loop it now and jam until I find it.
You should  post some clips man. I'm working on getting something up.

Maybe there should be a die-hard, "how you manage and twist your junky" thread.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:50 am

Guys you're giving me a GAS !  :-\
But yeah, post some clips..  :)

And I can't wait to hear what the both of you do.. sounds interesting on paper... errr .. screen..  8)  (do you feel the pressure now ?  :D)
Last edited by k o y l on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkyfize
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by funkyfize » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:48 am

I've got the Zvex Box of Rock!! I think it works best with humbuckers than singlecoils.. but it is pretty decent too..! Sounds like an old Marshall JTM cranked up, really cool.. And it works very well with my AC30 adding extra-power!!!  8)

TheodorJ

Post by TheodorJ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:35 am

I recently got an Ooh Wah. It's lovely, especially setting the knobs like a regular wah sweep and turning the speed on full. Very psychedelic and alien like.

star0nfire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by star0nfire » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:06 am

I'm keeping an eye on a Z.Vex Super Hard On that's on the 'bay right now.
I absolutely LOVE the sound of this pedal. It was the feature I liked the most in my Wah Probe.. hope I win it ;)

I'd like a Super Duper, but I really can't afford it :(

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:21 am

Well you know, the SHO and Super Duper doesn't sound quite the same... I read that before trying to upgrade from the SHO to the SD and it revealed to be true for me when I did.

I don't know if it's the same with every SHO & SD because Zvex tells on his website that each SHOs are different:
From the Zvex site:
Each Super Hard-On is unique in it's reaction...

so I guess it's a matter of finding the one that has the sweet spot you like.

My advice is: try the actual Super Duper you want to buy before you buy it, and on your rig if possible.

I ended up keeping the SHO (I didn't manage to sell it before receiving the SD) and just re-sold the Super Duper.

star0nfire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by star0nfire » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:49 am

Oh, I see. I actually thought the Super Duper was just 2 SHO's in the same box.

Thanks for the advice then ;)

And it'll be hard for me to try a super duper before buying it, there isn't a Z. Vex retailer here in Portugal, I think :(