Vox Repeat Percussion custom pedal

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Blackholesun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Vox Repeat Percussion custom pedal

Post by Blackholesun » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:13 am

Hiya

A friend of mine has just made a custom stompbox for me. He took the electronics from an old Vox Repeat Percussion unit, added true bypass and a on/off indicator. We designed it together. I want to post a picture of it, how do I do that?

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox Repeat Percussion custom pedal

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 am

you have to host your pics on a hosting site as www.photobucket.com then they give you a link for each pic and you only need to copy and paste.
BTW
What the hell is a Vox Repeat Percussion unit?
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Blackholesun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Blackholesun » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:23 am

It's the best tremolo in the world!

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 am

nice case job!  i've got a repeater in my starstream which is awesome, but i'd love a pedal that could go faster.

also calling it a tremolo is hardly accurate.  ;)  its more like a "popper"?  it does that mandolin effect you find on old 60s organs.  tiny short staccato blips.  if you slow it down the pops stay the same rate it just puts more space inbetween them.  its one of the weirder and least used effects out there IMHO.

great job on the pedal.  can you do a mod that makes it go into ring mod territory?

Blackholesun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Blackholesun » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:03 am

Yeah, it's more like a "chopper" really. A nice pulsating drone, which is great if your into psychedelia. What would Spacemen 3, Spectrum and Spiritualized be without the VRP?  A friend of mine has made it for me, he's a genius so I guess he can make all sorts of mods on this one  ;)
Nine Inch Nails has just ordered two fuzzpedals that he makes.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:11 pm

HLYSHT!

I love fuzz, and i love nine inch nails!

I'd really like to hear that thing, my friend and i were rokcing the Squaresnakes the other night, and in some cases it has an effect similar to the one you describe.
I prefer their older stuff.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:27 am

Blackholesun wrote:

Yeah, it's more like a "chopper" really. A nice pulsating drone, which is great if your into psychedelia. What would Spacemen 3, Spectrum and Spiritualized be without the VRP?  A friend of mine has made it for me, he's a genius so I guess he can make all sorts of mods on this one  ;)
Nine Inch Nails has just ordered two fuzzpedals that he makes.
ohh! it's the pulsating fx in "take me on the other side"?
COOOL!!!
That makes me want to build a kay tremolo again...
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Blackholesun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Blackholesun » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:04 am

"ohh! it's the pulsating fx in "take me on the other side"?
COOOL!!!"

You're damn right my friend. I'm hooking up with Sonic Boom in a couple of weeks, can't wait to show it to him :)

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 am

it's a very cool effect.. and yeah where would Sonic Boom especially be without it?!  :(

Ronsound makes a version called the trem-o-matic which also features a depth control, you can hear clips on his site. He worked his way through the schematic that's been floating around the net a while and corrected the mistakes/misprints in it and built his own version. A few people have made their own off of his corrected schematic and I plan to give it a go soon myself. I love the Vox graphic you used!

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:30 pm

MERCY!  8) 8)  Thanks for his post.

I have a friend who has a beat-up one that works only intermittently, but when it works it sounds cool!  I'd be ecstatic to add one of these to my rig - and, Blackholesun, yours looks beautiful!  Very well done!  I need to be searching for these... or a schematic to build one myself... though diy-pedals are something I talk about doing all the time, but I never quite get around to making it a reality  :-[ :)

In any case - I'm going to keep my out for a pre-made or easy-to-build kit version.
Last edited by del on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

Oyster Boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oyster Boy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm

wait, is that what that weird effect is in "how does it feel?" by spacemen 3? I've tried to mimic that sound with countless tremolo and delay units, coupled with various distortions, and I always come really close but can never do it.

Parka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Parka » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:52 am

wow... that s a pretty cool effect!

I just listened to the RONSOUND samples ...... it just got added to my ever increasing stuff to buy list!

Blackholesun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Blackholesun » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:19 am

Oyster Boy wrote: wait, is that what that weird effect is in "how does it feel?" by spacemen 3? I've tried to mimic that sound with countless tremolo and delay units, coupled with various distortions, and I always come really close but can never do it.
Yes, that's right. Nice picture Oyster, I was at a Spectrum-gig last night and partied with Pete afterwards. We talked a lot about effects, and he loved my custom VRP.

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am

i drove pete from dallas to austin for a gig, the boy smoked pot the entire time and we stopped off at a nice small town gas station (i think it was called "cooter's" or something)  he was in there for a LONG TIME. 

i went in to see what the problem was and he was standing in a circle of scary deliverence type hicks holding an armfull of cotton candy and ice cream with a candy bar sticking out of his mouth... one of them actually said "you'r not from round here are ya?"  and i grabbed his arm and led him out to the car.  he was about 30 seconds from getting his face carved off and he didn't even notice anything was wrong...

gotta love culture clash...