Alesis Midiverb

Everyone needs a stompbox.
dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Alesis Midiverb

Post by dren68 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 pm

That's funny you should mention those two settings. Bloom 1 is the one I've been playing with the most. I love it. The X Large Hall with the 15 second decay setting is a little too long for my tastes, but the one right before it (X Large Hall - 5 sec. decay) is the other one I've been using a lot. I'm not that much into the reverse reverbs, either. Like you said - too short. I actually kind of like not being able to edit the parameters on it. You just pick a sound and go. This has also led to me looking around at other rack units from that era. I've been checking out some of the Yamaha multi effects units (SPX 90, SPX 900, etc.). Those sound pretty cool, too. I may end up checking one or two of those out as soon as I can afford it. This could be dangerous...

krillmonger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krillmonger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 pm

Apologies for resurrecting a really old thread here - I was hoping the brilliant hive mind of this forum might be able to offer me some recording advice using a midiverb II with a guitar, please.
I picked one up cheap on ebay. It works (phew!), and I've it hooked up with my DAW with buses sending/returning from my interface. This works great for running a drum group, BVs or whatever I send through it from my DAW. However, if I want to use it for recording guitar in conjunction with pedals (after the midiverb), what set up would you recommend to do this to match the line and instrument levels before going into a DAW. I'm using an amp sim, not mic'ing an amp, as my neighbours would hate me if I cranked an amp to record guitar in my apartment.

Is this the set up I would need? :

Guitar > DI > IP Midiverb OP > reamp box > pedal chain > Audio interface( hi Z input)

I've never had to send guitar directly into a rack fx before as I've usually had any rack fx , like reverbs, on an fx loop send on a mixer and I've been blending the return with the dry signal.

Thanks very much for your help guys.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:39 pm

krillmonger wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 pm
Apologies for resurrecting a really old thread here - I was hoping the brilliant hive mind of this forum might be able to offer me some recording advice using a midiverb II with a guitar, please.
I picked one up cheap on ebay. It works (phew!), and I've it hooked up with my DAW with buses sending/returning from my interface. This works great for running a drum group, BVs or whatever I send through it from my DAW. However, if I want to use it for recording guitar in conjunction with pedals (after the midiverb), what set up would you recommend to do this to match the line and instrument levels before going into a DAW. I'm using an amp sim, not mic'ing an amp, as my neighbours would hate me if I cranked an amp to record guitar in my apartment.

Is this the set up I would need? :

Guitar > DI > IP Midiverb OP > reamp box > pedal chain > Audio interface( hi Z input)

I've never had to send guitar directly into a rack fx before as I've usually had any rack fx , like reverbs, on an fx loop send on a mixer and I've been blending the return with the dry signal.

Thanks very much for your help guys.
It complicates things to have it before the pedals, otherwise setting it up as an outboard in the Audio Interfaces spare in/outs would be more equivalent to your fx loop.

I don't think a DI and reamp is a solution as its not a mic preamp? I think the Midiverb II has a guitar's high input impedance to start with. What causes any tone suck is digital conversion/buffers. Perhaps a true bypass box is what you need if you wish to bypass it for pickier pedals following it. If its level, not impedance and its out the range of the unit's control then you need volume control.

krillmonger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krillmonger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jorri.
Yeah, I tested the midiverb by using sends and returns from my audio interface and it's all working fine that way. For recording guitars though, I was under the impression that the midiverb prefers line level in and that it outputs at line level too, rather than instrument level - so I'd need something to buffer the signal before running it through pedals?
I may have got that wrong though, and i'm over thinking things here with my DI and reamp box configuration?
thanks

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:25 pm

krillmonger wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 pm
Yeah, I tested the midiverb by using sends and returns from my audio interface and it's all working fine that way. For recording guitars though, I was under the impression that the midiverb prefers line level in and that it outputs at line level too, rather than instrument level - so I'd need something to buffer the signal before running it through pedals?
I may have got that wrong though, and i'm over thinking things here with my DI and reamp box configuration?
thanks
A buffer might help yes. That tends to fix things i think in my experience when i used one- and it tends to fix bad buffering/digital conversion to some extent if a good one is placed before. I recently sold it as broken/spares however (wish they weren't so expensive now, as i'd have kept a working one!) and recall reading 1meg in the manual.
But is this level or impedance? Instrument level is usually around -20, whereas unbalanced line is -10. If its clipping in the rack you'll know, right?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:11 pm

Midverb II = MBV

Midiverb III = Medicine

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:11 pm
Midverb II = MBV

Midiverb III = Medicine
"Time Baby III"... also Medicine.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:21 pm

MrShake wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:11 pm
Midverb II = MBV

Midiverb III = Medicine
"Time Baby III"... also Medicine.
8) 8)

krillmonger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krillmonger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:58 pm

jorri wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:25 pm
krillmonger wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 pm
thanks
A buffer might help yes. That tends to fix things i think in my experience when i used one- and it tends to fix bad buffering/digital conversion to some extent if a good one is placed before. I recently sold it as broken/spares however (wish they weren't so expensive now, as i'd have kept a working one!) and recall reading 1meg in the manual.
But is this level or impedance? Instrument level is usually around -20, whereas unbalanced line is -10. If its clipping in the rack you'll know, right?
I was more thinking about the level hitting the pedals from the midiverb. The midiverb outputs at line level but the guitar pedals are expecting instrument level, right? Wouldn't I need a reamp box to send them the correct level? thanks