PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: your effects setup?

Post by JSett » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:43 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:16 am

Those EBS flats are the business. I've been using them for years and they seem to be indestructible. Oh, and Cioks rules too. The best around these days IMHO
I am excited to try them. I just bought my first three last night. I figure that I will buy a few a week for the next month to spread it out a bit. I had been using George L's since the dinosaurs roamed and I got tired of them always needing to be rebuilt. They were pretty bulky by todays standards too.

This Cioks stuff is great. At first I was a little put off because of the RCA connectors on the cables but as soon as I decided to fully convert to them it wasn't a big deal. I bought a handful of extra cables for them too. I love being able to switch from voltage between 9/12/15/18. I run all my old ACA Boss stuff on 12, some of my delays are 12, a bunch of 18 stuff, etc. Not needing special cables or charge pumps is great! I don't have any pedals with high current draw, but it's nice to know that if I ever get one, these power supplies can handle it.
For sure, putting enough of those in a basket to do a large-ish pedalboard adds up fast! I did the same by ordering in small batches. Like many things in the music world there's some necessary things we need that are just so boring to spend your money on. Like mic stands. Utterly dull and expensive but very much a necessity.

The RCAs on the Cioks stuff seem flimsy at first but hold up pretty well. I did, on my last gigging board, make custom length ones with nice metal Neutrik RCA ends and heavy duty cable. It was total overkill. I like the fact they chuck in a bunch of the battery snap adaptors, reverse polarity and other oddball connectors too. A real swiss army knife company
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:19 am

Thom

"Who poured that pint, Ray Charles?"

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Welp, bit of a consolidation. Went from this...
Image20210705_110322 by Steve Bailey, on Flickr
To this.
ImageCrampedGrandpa by Steve Bailey, on Flickr

I've been playing with a new project that has a second guitar player, so the initial idea was to try adding a few more nuances and flavors to the mix. After carrying it to practice on public transit for a few weeks I decided it wasn't worth it and opted for a new mini board. The big one lives on as the 'science project' at home, but I'll admit the radically decreased weight and focused choices make it easier to play.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:05 pm
To this.

I've been playing with a new project that has a second guitar player, so the initial idea was to try adding a few more nuances and flavors to the mix. After carrying it to practice on public transit for a few weeks I decided it wasn't worth it and opted for a new mini board. The big one lives on as the 'science project' at home, but I'll admit the radically decreased weight and focused choices make it easier to play.
I dig the downsized version.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:00 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
To this.

I thought you might ;)

Honestly as fun as the big board was it just felt goofy to carry around. I always play better with less stuff anyway. Also that EB Tuner/VP combo was a real space safer and allowed me to get away with the proper PT Nano that weighs less than a handbag.

That being said -- I might try to pick up another Mr. Vermin and see if I can get someone to do the three way toggle (Turbo, Classic, You Dirty Rat) mod on it for the science project. I've been listening to demos and the other two modes sound pretty cool...
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:20 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:00 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
stevejamsecono wrote:
To this.

I thought you might ;)

Honestly as fun as the big board was it just felt goofy to carry around. I always play better with less stuff anyway. Also that EB Tuner/VP combo was a real space safer and allowed me to get away with the proper PT Nano that weighs less than a handbag.

That being said -- I might try to pick up another Mr. Vermin and see if I can get someone to do the three way toggle (Turbo, Classic, You Dirty Rat) mod on it for the science project. I've been listening to demos and the other two modes sound pretty cool...
You might be able to pick up something pre-modded with those options more readily now that JHS has put out their über Rat.

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:40 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:00 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
stevejamsecono wrote:
To this.

I thought you might ;)

Check the new JHS PackRat that has multiple different Rats in it. I have never been more intriqued to get rat than when I saw some demos of this, this seems to have all Rat variants I'm interested in.

And true to the thread I also post my board. I't still has room for additions (I plan to add at least micro POG, tuner and some drive like KoT, friedman BE-Od or that Packrat).

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 am

Current "maximalist" pedalboard that I can do "most things" with.

Usually drop the volume pedal (will use volume knob for swells) and looper for live shows, and will sometimes swap the Secret Preamp with a Tuner.

Not quite sure how I feel about the Monuments yet? I'd like something a little more organic sounding; it sounds great, but a bit too crisp for my tastes.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:55 am

after a year of my board being the same, my bandmate and i decided to add 2 pedals to my board. the new pedals are just a boss CS2 and the phase 100. also finally added pedal toppers.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

cdwillis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cdwillis » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:26 pm

garyfanclub wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 am
Current "maximalist" pedalboard that I can do "most things" with.

Usually drop the volume pedal (will use volume knob for swells) and looper for live shows, and will sometimes swap the Secret Preamp with a Tuner.

Not quite sure how I feel about the Monuments yet? I'd like something a little more organic sounding; it sounds great, but a bit too crisp for my tastes.

I recently acquired a Monument as well. There are two trim pots on the board. The top one controls the depth of the tremolo and the bottom trim pot is a low pass filter / tone control. Mine was turned almost all the way counterclockwise which made it pretty warm, but turning it clockwise brought out some more high end and some more perceived volume. You may want to back yours off a bit.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 pm

Just assembled all this tonight. Fuzz, boost, and analog delay are what I always go back to. Over and over again. Just got the Analogman stuff. I am still in awe of how great the Sunface sounds. I asked them to select high gain transistors and they certainly did. I can't believe how much fuzz it has. I can run the fuzz control about 3/4 up and match my other Fuzz Faces on max. Full on it has enough fuzz to work well for really heavy, downtuned stuff even (though that is not what I am using this setup is for). The lowend is incredible but it still cuts through.

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:20 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 pm
JUst assembled all this tonight. Fuzz, boost, and analog delay are what I always go back to. Over and over again. Just got the Analogman stuff. I am still in awe of how great the Surface sounds. I asked them to select high gain transistors and they certainly did. I can't believe how much fuzz it has. I can run the fuzz control about 3/4 up and match my other Fuzz Faces. Full on it has enough fuzz to work well for really heavy, downtuned stuff (though that is not what I am using this setup is for). The lowend is incredible but it still cuts through.

I hear you on always going back to old favorites. Especially analog delay. :-*

What size is this board btw?
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:20 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 pm
JUst assembled all this tonight. Fuzz, boost, and analog delay are what I always go back to. Over and over again. Just got the Analogman stuff. I am still in awe of how great the Surface sounds. I asked them to select high gain transistors and they certainly did. I can't believe how much fuzz it has. I can run the fuzz control about 3/4 up and match my other Fuzz Faces. Full on it has enough fuzz to work well for really heavy, downtuned stuff (though that is not what I am using this setup is for). The lowend is incredible but it still cuts through.

I hear you on always going back to old favorites. Especially analog delay. :-*

What size is this board btw?
It’s 12x24 inches. Been using that one forever now, off and on. I prefer a flat board with my power supplies on top. Makes changing things and trouble shooting much easier.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:34 pm

Thanks! Was thinking about putting something together that was about that length. I've had a PT Jr forever which has alway been great but sometimes I want a big flat board with more length to try things out....and be able to put everything in one line vs. two rows. The PT Jr gets crammed pretty easily. But it also keeps my setup minimal which was why I went with that size in the first place. ;)
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:46 am

Awesome board, as always, Justin!

Good to hear you're enjoying the BART Sunface...I had a Sunlion a while ago that was hybrid RCA/NKT red dot that was pretty cool. 8)
Resident Spartan.