Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:51 pm

That is a well rounded setup! I still have the same RV-2 that I’ve always had. It’s been with me for 20+ years now and was my very first reverb pedal. It was about $40 on eBay back then :D Somehow it made it through many, many binge and purge cycles! The plate setting has always been my favorite. At one point I went through a bunch of different ones but it came out on top and remained my favorite.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:42 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:51 pm
That is a well rounded setup! I still have the same RV-2 that I’ve always had. It’s been with me for 20+ years now and was my very first reverb pedal. It was about $40 on eBay back then :D Somehow it made it through many, many binge and purge cycles! The plate setting has always been my favorite. At one point I went through a bunch of different ones but it came out on top and remained my favorite.
Thanks Justin!

The plate setting has always been my favourite as well! :-* :-* :-*

It's embarrassing how many reverb pedals I went through last year, only to come back to this old friend!

Here's a photo of my first one...pre-having a pedalboard, sometime in the early 2000s.

Looking at the pedal selection, some things haven't changed much two decades later! :D
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:42 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Thanks Justin!

It's embarrassing how many reverb pedals I went through last year, only to come back to this old friend!

Here's a photo of my first one...pre-having a pedalboard, sometime in the early 2000s.

Looking at the pedal selection, some things haven't changed much two decades later! :D
It's funny.. I had THAT photo right there saved on my computer years ago! I always thought it was a super clean setup. It was one that initially lured me toward Zvex stuff too. I already had my RV-2 I think by then but it inspired me to track down a DM-3 and I eventually ran both too :ph34r: It's a great setup even now!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:45 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pm
zhivago wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:42 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Thanks Justin!

It's funny.. I had THAT photo right there saved on my computer years ago! I always thought it was a super clean setup. It was one that initially lured me toward Zvex stuff too. I already had my RV-2 I think by then but it inspired me to track down a DM-3 and I eventually ran both too :ph34r: It's a great setup even now!
Wow!!

Very cool!!! 8)

The photo is post-my-gear-theft when I replaced my stolen pedals (and Jazzmaster) from a break in at another apartment we lived in. It was a crazy time as Zvex pedals were sooooo expensive and hard to get in the UK. I loved the little critters, so I found a way to get replacements in the country - the import taxes were a killer! :D

The orange Super Duper came direct from Zachary Vex himself at dealer cost, as he found out about all my gear being stolen and PM'd me to help out get my old setup back. This was in the HCFX forum days when he was still an active member. I will never forget the gesture. A true gent, I even got a free t-shirt! 8)

The whole internet came together to help me, and I will never forget it. :-*

The Machine in the photo came from a fellow HCFX member - FOR FREE!! :o An amazing gesture.

The HCFX forum had a money whip around to get cash for me to buy peals to replace my old ones. Ollenorin in Sweden organised it, so I managed to get the same pedals as I lost, minus the DM2 I had stolen...replaced by the DM3 in the picture. By that point old DM2s where already getting really expensive.

An old member in the FDP page also got in touch and hooked me up with a stripped finish '64 Jazzmaster to replace my stolen '67. He had found the '64 somewhere stripped of its finish and with people's names carved in the body, :wtf: so I had it refinished and kept it until ANOTHER HCFX forumite in the UK found my old stolen '67 JM and a pawn shop in London and bought it! He contacted the HCFX admin at the time, Phil who in turn contacted me and I was able to buy that guitar back at what he paid for it at the pawn shop.

I get emotional even remembering all this. The kindness of the guitar community around the world is something I will never forget. :-*
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 pm

On more fun fact...I still have and use the TU12H in the picture! 8)
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:14 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 pm
I was JUST about to ask that! I still have the original tuner I bought about 25+ years ago that has a little slider switch and an analogue needle. Can't remember the brand but it still worked perfectly last I checked.

Oh, and wonderful story about your gear...I always love hearing about that sort of thing and musicians coming together. My 90s punk band had a load of (cheap) gear stolen from our beat up old LDV tour van back in the day and within a couple of stops on the road we had had our entire rig replaced with (equally cheap) donated gear from others in the scene/circuit.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:56 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:14 pm
zhivago wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 pm
I was JUST about to ask that! I still have the original tuner I bought about 25+ years ago that has a little slider switch and an analogue needle. Can't remember the brand but it still worked perfectly last I checked.

Oh, and wonderful story about your gear...I always love hearing about that sort of thing and musicians coming together. My 90s punk band had a load of (cheap) gear stolen from our beat up old LDV tour van back in the day and within a couple of stops on the road we had had our entire rig replaced with (equally cheap) donated gear from others in the scene/circuit.
These old analogue needle tuners are great for setting intonation...plus, they really take me back to first staring playing guitar...all tuners were like that pretty much!

I am sorry to hear about the gear theft, I totally feel your pain. The most annoying thing about my situation was that my Jazzmaster showed up at a pawn shop on Holloway Road that I had already gone to and given pictures of the guitar, the serial number etc.

Karma though worked in my favour in a bizarre way...the idiots at the pawn shop thought it was a reissue guitar and priced it at £350! That's what made the guy that bought it suspicious. He somehow found my mega-thread about the theft of Harmony Central and the rest is history.

I am happy to report that the particular pawn shop closed down years ago, and good riddance to the ass-clowns!
Resident Spartan.

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:14 am

Can you stop posting pictures of all my ZVex pedals please? ;D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 am

ziess wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:14 am
Can you stop posting pictures of all my ZVex pedals please? ;D
hahah...actually these are not the ones you got for me...I've had multiples of them over the years :)
Resident Spartan.

drabombs
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drabombs » Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 pm

HNB wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:47 am
This is my chain inspired by Jonny Greenwood. :) (Going into my '76 Fender Twin.)

ImageIMG_20220407_124116 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Very righteous! What's the last pedal in the chain?

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri May 06, 2022 12:25 pm

drabombs wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 pm
HNB wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:47 am
This is my chain inspired by Jonny Greenwood. :) (Going into my '76 Fender Twin.)

ImageIMG_20220407_124116 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Very righteous! What's the last pedal in the chain?
It is a BYOC Shredmaster I made with a custom decal. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

drabombs
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drabombs » Fri May 06, 2022 1:18 pm

perfecto ;D

MascisMan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MascisMan » Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 pm

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Boring backstory: I haven’t owned an amp in over 10 years, but I was still stockpiling some pedals for when I either bought one or just set myself up to record without one. I finally bought a little amp (Marshall Class 5), and now I’m sorting through the pedals to see what works for me. This is the current, very basic line-up:

Not pictured:

NYC Big Muff and Hardwire RV-7 were bought when I didn’t have an amp and therefore had no way to try them out. Neither works. I’m hoping they will be simple fixes.

Tone Bakery Creme Brulee and Fredric Super Unpleasant Companion. Both of these are extremely cool pedals, but for some reason don’t really work for me/in my set-up.

Still need a trem, phaser, and wah. I have a Devi Ever Torn’s Peaker on the way, which will hopefully sound as awesome in my set-up as it does in the clips I’ve seen…
Thread killer

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 26, 2022 3:18 am

MascisMan wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 pm
That little box is awesome!!! Where did you get it?

blacktiger wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 pm
Still need a trem, phaser, and wah.
Any idea what you're looking for for trem?

I was also gonna suggest that the Spaceman Explorer phaser has the coolest feature I've been looking for in a phaser forever: an expression pedal jack and a manual mode. Basically, one of the options on the waveform selector knob is manual, which turns off the LFO. I believe that you can park the frequency knob at a select spot to do a fixed filter kind of thing, but one thing you CAN do is use an expression pedal with it and manually sweep the phase, like a wah. I put my phaser before my gain pedals, so with gain and phaser both on, it gives kind of a wah-like quality. With an expression pedal, it would be killing two birds with one stone*, unless you want/need phaser AND wah on at the same time.

*do we have another phrase for that? I love animals and really hate that phrase.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384