Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:47 am

This is my chain inspired by Jonny Greenwood. :) (Going into my '76 Fender Twin.)

ImageIMG_20220407_124116 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:56 am

Trying the two board thing. The afterneath is for vocals with a splitter and DI. Problem - a)where does mic stand go? b) having a TRS jack on one and tightly spaced on the other means 30cm only really fits.
We'll see, put gigs on hold for now and could squeeze the Microcosm back on board A if it doesn't work.

New Red Panda Context V2 (preset box on right was free, great deal!). Love it! Replaced my Zoom ms50g for the reverse-verbs but i think i will use for other things so i moved to post-drive as i dont want to be only imitation of Kevin Shields eirher. Gate is better than reverse for that sound, yet its not reversed although i am not too bothered with that. Captures the vintage rack sound well. Grain can dial a cool "soft focus" chorus sound or just go into mental drones
Plate is the shoegazey 100% mix one whereas the first three i feel i would have to use 'normally' e.g. below 50% mix as an actual verb (sounds better than the Space for that). A bit of hair pulling over firmware update and cable connections though. If you want mono>stereo you only get one dry channel without an adapter. I swear the main fault is making the pedal so tiny- i mean, look at the Space pedal, its the same functions, so web editor, shift buttons and all but one preset without the footswitch yet still needing the glitchy web editor!

NPD2: given a free Keeley Katana (as was case for board B). But its not that useful. It clips at end of chain and i need a buffer there instead. Its got a nice saturation so can see if i will work in some post-delay 'mellow' drive (grouper-esque) or loud cleans with it.

Plus: stereo is a pain in the arse. Aside from the Panda Context dry issue, my Hazarai kills its ping pongs when stereo-in. So i am basically limited to reversing that order (despite it having a looper), no stereo delay, or no stereo Context... I guess i now just hope stereo isn't that prominent through actual speakers so i can fatally give up routing things 😆

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:56 am

jorri wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:56 am
Trying the two board thing. The afterneath is for vocals with a splitter and DI. Problem - a)where does mic stand go? b) having a TRS jack on one and tightly spaced on the other means 30cm only really fits.
Maybe something like the Eventide Mixing Link would help (replacing your DI)? Gives you a line-level FX loop on 1/4" jacks, which would save a lot of pedalboard real estate (bye bye bulky XLR-to-1/4" converter!)...
jorri wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:56 am
I guess i now just hope stereo isn't that prominent through actual speakers so i can fatally give up routing things 😆
Stereo is fine/fun for recording and playing at home... at a gig, it's largely pointless in my experience (speaking as someone who tried for YEARS to convince myself that the audience could tell I had a panning reverb going through amps on either side of the stage)...

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:22 am

Could work. Main problem is guitar fx overflow though from the A board (although i dont need the katana/extra switches, things were squished above eachother before). Figuring some way to have board B all the things i don't need to step on as i leave vocal fx on (as 'lofi' verb is all i need), cab sim and amp sim, but remotely controlling drives or something? Then it could be away from mic...wherever it wants.
It should be better than individually packing each device and having things floating off board un-cased in transit however the final form takes anyway.

I am not sure about the actual panning type of effects either- so then, ping pong won't matter and i can just unplug when i record. What i do find is more impactful is the general 'reverb width' through two amps sounding different, in my case an amp sim live into PA. I find it gives the expansiveness that suits dreampoppy noises even when not panned binaurally- just the fact there is a width between two sounds. So as you say, it may not matter for the ping-pong, it may even be an overly wide mess anyway/microfocusing brain issue)
(Also f*** TRS sockets and f*** tightly spaced backwards eventide jacks i cant even use half my cables with that thing, or need a foot long one to link to the adjacent pedal 🤦).

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:27 am

A solution that was pretty obvious called headphones extension cable. :-/

Yeh, more trials and i am will you that thru speakers it matters less or i even prefer mono on some hazarai modes (but too lush through headphones..) so i put into mono, for the RP Context. I may route so its optional via jacks for headphones/di record, so a single stereo channel if that sounds like 'mono'. because the RP requires web editor to change from stereo to mono its unlikely easy in the middle of a recording session.

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:27 pm

I thought I'd share my almost finished board (still missing angled trs plug for El Capistan favourite switch).

It is used for everything from ambient to rock stuff. Funny thing that I bought first pedals to this board almost 10 years ago those being Timeline and Boss volume pedal.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:21 am

That looks familiar :w00t:

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:02 am

gibs wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:21 am
That looks familiar :w00t:
Hi man!

I still lurk/post at OSG every once in a while even though majority of my posting is on TGP lately. I've actually joined this forum before I even knew what TGP was and was lurking for some time before that. In summer 2013 I saw Foals live stream from Lowlands and immediately got hooked on looks of Jazzmaster and when I get to try one I absolutely fell in love with the comfortable bodyshape. I'm still on that journey even though I dabble every once in a while with other type of guitars.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Kihtaristi wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:27 pm
I thought I'd share my almost finished board (still missing angled trs plug for El Capistan favourite switch).

It is used for everything from ambient to rock stuff. Funny thing that I bought first pedals to this board almost 10 years ago those being Timeline and Boss volume pedal.
Awesome effects. What Matchless you running?

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:21 pm
Kihtaristi wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:27 pm

Awesome effects. What Matchless you running?
Thanks, Matchless independece 1x12 combo. that I got earlier this year. That amp is absolutely amazing and does the stuff I want really well. Only cons with it are that it weights like 30kg and it is really loud. But then again, I bought it for situations (loud jams) where I need to hear myself.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:55 pm

reorganized my board. i’m adding a sidecar with a couple expression pedals. I need to design a way to send one CV output to 3 separate inputs to really use the mission control how I want to.

once I build some more patch cables, it’s all done.

the land hp-2, despite how bonkers amazing it is, doesn’t work well with foils (duh), so I def need both that and the acorn tma-1 on board. the hp-2 is AMAZING on bass vi (and everything else) however.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:58 am

If you can find a source audio reflex, that has 3 expression outputs (they’re discontinued and go for high asking prices, 2.0 is in the works if you can wait) there’s also the mission expressionator. I don’t think you can make a split cable and passively feed 3 different units, most of the expressions that have 2 outputs use a stacked pot (two pots sharing one shaft) you definitely don’t want one pot sending control voltages to three different pedals, that can cause issues.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:58 am

Well, I had a board where I used a Boss FV500-L to control 3 different pedals. It's a stereo volume pedal with an additional expression output, so it has a pot with 3 layers inside. By using a TRS cable on the Exp. output and insert cables on the right and left channels you can use all 3 layers of the pot on expression inputs of your pedals. With analog pedals this might cause trouble depending on the individual schematics, but with most digital pedals where you can use expression pedals to sweep between different settings of all the knobs it shouldn't be a problem at all. I did it with a lot of very different pedals over the years, no issues.
What do you do with the mission control?

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:13 pm

Zork wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:58 am
Well, I had a board where I used a Boss FV500-L to control 3 different pedals. It's a stereo volume pedal with an additional expression output, so it has a pot with 3 layers inside. By using a TRS cable on the Exp. output and insert cables on the right and left channels you can use all 3 layers of the pot on expression inputs of your pedals. With analog pedals this might cause trouble depending on the individual schematics, but with most digital pedals where you can use expression pedals to sweep between different settings of all the knobs it shouldn't be a problem at all. I did it with a lot of very different pedals over the years, no issues.
What do you do with the mission control?
since mission control has CV in and out. i use its cv out to sweep the resonant filter peak on the polaris overdrive, control the expression input on my analog delay, and control the delta ii tremolo. it’s got different modes of attack/decay ramping and some other tricks that is better than just an expression input. using the same effective voltage swing on all 3 pedals keeps speeds unified for some crazy choppy echo filter sweeps.

also, i could patch the cv out of my synthesizer into it for further control.

i was looking into a very basic design with buffers, diodes, and resistors. seems possible for under $10.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:57 pm

Threw this together with my newly acquired RV2:

This is the third time I own an RV2 and this time it will stay. It go ridiculous with my reverb pedal habit last year! :D
Resident Spartan.