Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: your effects setup?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:44 am

zhivago wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:12 am
I am 10000% with you guys, I love them little Pitchblacks...and before they came out, I used to have the old larger version (which nowadays is on my little brother's board).
I've got 2 of the bigger Pitchblack tuners. They tune well and pretty quick. I bought one for my guitar board and one for my bass board, but I might give one to my friend, as I just bought a Peterson Strobo-Stomp since I mostly only play at home. I figure having a super accurate tuner for playing or recording would be great, and keeping a quick one for playing out if I ever do is fine.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:50 pm

I'm going to try and dig out my backup Pitchblack that I stashed somewhere in the house years ago. I've been living with having to have a TU-2 after my Sunface thanks to its lack of true bypass for too long. Not having the tuner first makes my eye twitch.

I'm hoping it's in one of the crates in the attic.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Really good to see all the Pitchblack love round here! 8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm

CS wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:43 am

Rejigged today
Looking good, Chris!!! 8)
Resident Spartan.

JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSutter » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:26 pm

Korg DT-10

Digitech RP360 XP, set up mainly for Whammy, wah, and the occasional pre distortion effect. I wired in switches like an FS3X to scroll through the presets and added some grip tape.

Boss SD-1, modded for lower gain, more volume, C6 on a switch.

Biyang Metal End (MT-2 clone), modded for tighter low end, and removed C35 and C25 on the Boss schematic.

Truetone Jekyll & Hyde

Akai Intelliphase

Ibanez FL99 Classic Flange

Digitech iStomp (x3) Tremolo, Delay, Reverb or whatever I what to load up if needed via iPhone 4s.

Playing through the clean channel on a PRS MT15 into Mesa 412.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:42 pm

zhivago wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm
CS wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:43 am

Rejigged today
Looking good, Chris!!! 8)
Thanks the dirty boy boosting the rastop is really good. Makes the super divider sound better err worse...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:41 am

With the great paring down of my equipment it was time I put together a home board. Nothing but some essentials on a home-made scrapwood board.

This is what I went with:

(I found my spare Pitchblack. Happy days. I might strip it down and give it a paintjob though)
Last edited by JSett on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:07 am

Real talk: how is the F-Stop? The package is appealing but I haven’t done a deep dive on demos or anything…

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:01 pm

fever606 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:07 am
Real talk: how is the F-Stop? The package is appealing but I haven’t done a deep dive on demos or anything…
I've not had it long but it seems real good so far. My reverb and tremolo tastes are fairly pedestrian so I'm happy with an accurate spring sound and a trem that sounds like a bias version...not too fussed with wilder sounds.

Reverb: it's definitely on the bright side, which I like but others might not. I tend to keep it low and subtle but it can get very wet and drippy. There's apparently a few different algorithms (including a plate) accessed via internal dipswitches but I haven't felt the need to play with those. My main thing was that kicking it on didn't drop the guitar dry signal, which I didn't like about the FRV-1 I've been using for years. Pleased to say this doesn't do that.

Tremolo: definitely has that bias trem throb I like that my VibroChamp does. Gets plenty slow and deep and fast and choppy depending what you want.

Overall, the simplicity of the whole unit is nice and it's not too big. It's blackface small Fender effects in a box really.

*Edit: one thing, despite the effects being laid out tremolo into reverb (trem on right, reverb on left) it's actually the other way around, like a Fender amp. I actually like trem before reverb as a rule and would be nice to have the option to swap them over but, alas, it doesn't. Not the end of the world but could have easily been built in I feel.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:03 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:01 pm
knowledge
Thanks for the comprehensive scoop... it is a shame the order cannot be changed, but more and more I'm liking the idea of a DOD 250 > F-Stop mini board...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:11 am

fever606 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:03 am
more and more I'm liking the idea of a DOD 250 > F-Stop mini board...
Honestly, a good overdrive/dirt box and one of these would be a very powerful pocket board.

Tuner > Rat > F-Stop. Game over :D

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:40 pm

Yesterday was the day to rearrange the board:

It's not the greatest picture but you get the idea. With this carpet in the practice room it's probably impossible to get a nice looking photo anyway I guess... :D

Here's what's going on:

The signal gets split with the Palmer Y Box first in line. I run a cleanish bass amp and a guitar amp with all the pedals.
It's the first time in years I've got a wah on my board but I enjoy it quite a bit. It's a heavily modified Zakk Wylde Crybaby that I just recently got back into working order.
Pitch Fork is set up as a momentary octave up to get the VI in a higher register during solos.

I stack all my drive pedals. First comes a DIY Foxx Tone Machine fuzz, then the Caline Pure Sky, which is a budget Timmy. It's always on and cuts the bass a bit to tighten up things for the following distortion and adds a little overdrive to my high headroom amp. The Dead Stag is my "distorted rock sound", basically a Big Muff with 3-band EQ with parametric mids. It sits in a loop of the LS-2 together with the TC Sub'n'Up. The Sub'n'Up is again set to one octave up, so for some riffs and parts I can add the higher register to the bass notes.

I rarely use modulation but when I do I enjoy the flexibility and ease of use of the MM4. It might not sound as vivid as some of my individual pedals but it's convinient and sounds actually pretty good.

The Empress Tape delay: part of me wants to replace it with a Rubberneck, part of me knows that the Empress is much more my style. Oh well...
I should definitely dive more into the Oceans 11. It does a big surfy spring reverb now but I feel like scratching on the top of the surface. TC Skysurfer is always on since my amp has no reverb. It's really great.

I experimented a lot with special effects like Digitech FreqOut, EHX Superego etc. to set me apart a bit and have something to space out with but eventually decided it's not really sensible. I did put my Tonebender Mk3 in front of everything yesterday just for the fun of it and that was really something! Definitely worth considering but then again I have already three drive pedals on the board...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:48 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:01 pm
fever606 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:07 am
I've not had it long but it seems real good so far. My reverb and tremolo tastes are fairly pedestrian so I'm happy with an accurate spring sound and a trem that sounds like a bias version...not too fussed with wilder sounds.

Reverb: it's definitely on the bright side, which I like but others might not. I tend to keep it low and subtle but it can get very wet and drippy. There's apparently a few different algorithms (including a plate) accessed via internal dipswitches but I haven't felt the need to play with those. My main thing was that kicking it on didn't drop the guitar dry signal, which I didn't like about the FRV-1 I've been using for years. Pleased to say this doesn't do that.

Tremolo: definitely has that bias trem throb I like that my VibroChamp does. Gets plenty slow and deep and fast and choppy depending what you want.

Overall, the simplicity of the whole unit is nice and it's not too big. It's blackface small Fender effects in a box really.

*Edit: one thing, despite the effects being laid out tremolo into reverb (trem on right, reverb on left) it's actually the other way around, like a Fender amp. I actually like trem before reverb as a rule and would be nice to have the option to swap them over but, alas, it doesn't. Not the end of the world but could have easily been built in I feel.
Coming back to update on this.

I decided to go back to the Strymon Flint over the F-Stop. For my tastes I needed the tremolo before the reverb, it was a deal breaker.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:05 am

I've been toying with the idea of completely ditching the pedalboard for live duties and going back to just straight on the floor and batteries. All I'm using is a tuner, VB-2, Rat & a TR-2 and with the hectic nature of our songs combined with me being the singer as well I need some more space between the pedals. And pedalboards all raise them up just that little bit higher than is comfortable to just heel-toe them on and off without having to look down.

Anyone else still just running them right on the deck for gigs?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:43 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:41 am
With the great paring down of my equipment it was time I put together a home board. Nothing but some essentials on a home-made scrapwood board.

This is what I went with:

(I found my spare Pitchblack. Happy days. I might strip it down and give it a paintjob though)
Rat, Fuzz Face, and a great analog delay.... there isn't much that you can't accomplish with that! There's a billion Fuzz Face clones out there, and Analog Mike's are some of the best of the best. I love mine! I have 3 now :fp:
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane