Re: Setup of the day

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Setup of the day

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:58 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:23 am

I actually prefer the thinner bodied ones, they make the earlier designs seem very clunky in comparison.

Never had the experience of the Imron neck, is it glossy or more satin feeling? My Tyranny has a brushed neck which feels fantastic underhand.

The microphonic pickups thing was quite a well known error at the Bean factory allegedly according to Marc McElwee, seems like they only figured out the potting issues on the last few runs of instruments before the company went bust.
I have never heard that story about the microphonic pickups... that's cool! Although generally accepted as a bad thing, I think it adds something special. You gain a certain percussiveness and edge that you otherwise lose. Some of my favorite Telecaster pickups are microphonic, too.

The Imron coating is a gloss finish. It basically feels like paint. I believe that it is epoxy based. The biggest reason that I wanted one with it was because it looked cool :D They do also seem to be less common, I think.

I don't have any problems with the thin body. I had always planned on buying an earlier Artist to supplement it, but never got around to it. Now the prices are pretty well absurd. For several years, I had been after a Standard but kept putting it off, always dumping my money into '60s Fenders instead. The Beans (Standards at least) were only about $1500 then. As soon as I went to actually try to buy one, they had all disappeared and the prices doubled! At that point Gbase was the main place to find stuff other than eBay. I think I gave about $2600 for it in about 2005 or 2006.
A world of ruin all in vain

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16306
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Setup of the day

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:11 pm

i know a lot of people complain about microphonic pickups but i love them...... as proved in this video of me from yonks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErwQaNXJ2Q
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:18 am

Re: Setup of the day

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:25 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:58 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:23 am

I actually prefer the thinner bodied ones, they make the earlier designs seem very clunky in comparison.

Never had the experience of the Imron neck, is it glossy or more satin feeling? My Tyranny has a brushed neck which feels fantastic underhand.

The microphonic pickups thing was quite a well known error at the Bean factory allegedly according to Marc McElwee, seems like they only figured out the potting issues on the last few runs of instruments before the company went bust.
I have never heard that story about the microphonic pickups... that's cool! Although generally accepted as a bad thing, I think it adds something special. You gain a certain percussiveness and edge that you otherwise lose. Some of my favorite Telecaster pickups are microphonic, too.

The Imron coating is a gloss finish. It basically feels like paint. I believe that it is epoxy based. The biggest reason that I wanted one with it was because it looked cool :D They do also seem to be less common, I think.

I don't have any problems with the thin body. I had always planned on buying an earlier Artist to supplement it, but never got around to it. Now the prices are pretty well absurd. For several years, I had been after a Standard but kept putting it off, always dumping my money into '60s Fenders instead. The Beans (Standards at least) were only about $1500 then. As soon as I went to actually try to buy one, they had all disappeared and the prices doubled! At that point Gbase was the main place to find stuff other than eBay. I think I gave about $2600 for it in about 2005 or 2006.
Apparently the pickup issue was a source of embarrassment at the company as the high-profile musicians playing arenas that they'd hoped would champion the brand got rid of them due to excessive noise at high volumes. Huge contributing factor to the demise of the company, that and Travis's flights of fancy and general mismanagement.

They do look cool, I don't particularly like gloss necks so if I was going to grab a Bean it'd be the regular neck finish.

God I would absolutely KILL to grab a Bean at only $2600, that's a steal at today's inflated market prices :fp:
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

User avatar
kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 am
Location: Europe

Re: Setup of the day

Post by kgbAttack » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 am

When I can find enough time to practice with my full board, it's always a good day

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIJ8C8B3Nw/

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16306
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Setup of the day

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:19 am

Image
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 am
Location: The Emerald Fucking City

Re: Setup of the day

Post by smjenkins » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:08 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:19 am
Image
This photo is dripping with OSG-ness. There's not a piece of gear there I wouldn't rock

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16306
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Setup of the day

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:40 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:08 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:19 am
Image
This photo is dripping with OSG-ness. There's not a piece of gear there I wouldn't rock
i keep joking if i get any more offsets, my tenement will start leaning to one side. but thank you
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 am
Location: The Emerald Fucking City

Re: Setup of the day

Post by smjenkins » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:24 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:40 pm
i keep joking if i get any more offsets, my tenement will start leaning to one side. but thank you
You just need to find a left-handed roommate from OSG.

User avatar
druunkonego
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:14 pm
Location: Scranton, PA (or thereabouts)

Re: Setup of the day

Post by druunkonego » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 am

Hey OSG. It’s been a while. Here’s what I’m rocking these days.
Hasn’t changed a whole lot. Got that old 2x15” Bassman cab now. My bother gave it to me. It’s got some trash hi-fi era speakers in it but I hope to replace them this year with something a little more fitting. Still moves a lot of air.
Image

User avatar
audiodriver
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:46 am

Re: Setup of the day

Post by audiodriver » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:15 am

druunkonego wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 am
Hey OSG. It’s been a while. Here’s what I’m rocking these days.
Hasn’t changed a whole lot. Got that old 2x15” Bassman cab now. My bother gave it to me. It’s got some trash hi-fi era speakers in it but I hope to replace them this year with something a little more fitting. Still moves a lot of air.
Image
This is awesome man! I recently purchased Klipsch RP-8000F from this list of floor standing speakers and these sound great. The sound quality is more than my expectations as I have not spent a lot on these. Got these under $1000 range so quite happy with my purchase.

User avatar
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16657
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Cococologne, Germany

Re: Setup of the day

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:44 am

...the current rehearsal trio ;D

Image
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Setup of the day

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Shitty photos as usual, but this is definitely my favorite Fender of all time. You just can't make it sound bad. It's a really yellowed '65 Olympic White that's been with me for a good while now. Seen today with the Lovetone Cheese Source and a Vox AC4HW.

Image

Image
A world of ruin all in vain

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 21020
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Setup of the day

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:18 pm

Simple and perfect!!! ^^^^ :-* 8)
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Setup of the day

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:47 am

Thanks!! I’ve had several Voxes over the years but damn, there is something special about that little AC4! It is a really great sounding amp.
A world of ruin all in vain

Post Reply