Expat
Expat

Re: Setup of the day

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:35 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:51 am
Tell me about the At Mars amp- they've piqued my interest for a few years now.
Really like it.

It complements an Oceana Jr. perfectly. Just saying.

I play guitar in two pretty different bands that share a practice space. Space limitations have forced me to choose one amp to keep there and I chose the Swart which is the more versatile of the two, but it’s not as snarly.
You had me at Oceana Jr.

That sounds like a fantastic amp!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:51 am
Tell me about the At Mars amp- they've piqued my interest for a few years now.
Really like it.

I play guitar in two pretty different bands that share a practice space. Space limitations have forced me to choose one amp to keep there and I chose the Swart which is the more versatile of the two, but it’s not as snarly.
You had me at Oceana Jr.

It’s good. Low power mode is still pretty loud though.

Sadly there will probably be no Oceana Jr. on this recording. Just didn’t work in the mix.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:21 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Maggieo wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:

Really like it.

You had me at Oceana Jr.

Sadly there will probably be no Oceana Jr. on this recording. Just didn’t work in the mix.
They do have a pretty big sonic footprint. Great for power trios!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:21 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Maggieo wrote:

You had me at Oceana Jr.

They do have a pretty big sonic footprint. Great for power trios!
That is exactly how I use em’.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:20 am

Usually I'm a "direct in" guy at home, but I took some time to assemble a simple "home pedalboard" to mess around with my electrics in some open tunings (C6, Dm, etc), going for a Marisa Anderson-type spooky/ambient American primitive vibe...

The '67 SG is player-grade, so basically everything's been swapped, including the frets hah, but the old wood sounds soooo nice. Pedals are self-explanatory. Amp's a '68-ish Ampeg Reverbojet with the original CTS Alnico, in the realm of a Deluxe Reverb, perhaps a little brighter and middier. Maybe more "muscular" is the way to describe it? Like a mini-VT40 or something. Crazy loud, and definitely overkill for my apartment, but I love how "honest" it sounds, no hiding anything with this one.

1. Before anyone asks, no, the SG does not usually live on that stand.
2. I don't notice any "tone suck" from using the Tuner out on the VP, despite it being a common complaint. Maybe it's the pre from the DMM helping out?

Anyhow here's a pic...

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:48 pm

garyfanclub wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:20 am
Usually I'm a "direct in" guy at home, but I took some time to assemble a simple "home pedalboard" to mess around with my electrics in some open tunings (C6, Dm, etc), going for a Marisa Anderson-type spooky/ambient American primitive vibe...

The '67 SG is player-grade, so basically everything's been swapped, including the frets hah, but the old wood sounds soooo nice. Pedals are self-explanatory. Amp's a '68-ish Ampeg Reverbojet with the original CTS Alnico, in the realm of a Deluxe Reverb, perhaps a little brighter and middier. Maybe more "muscular" is the way to describe it? Like a mini-VT40 or something. Crazy loud, and definitely overkill for my apartment, but I love how "honest" it sounds, no hiding anything with this one.

2. I don't notice any "tone suck" from using the Tuner out on the VP, despite it being a common complaint. Maybe it's the pre from the DMM helping out?

Anyhow here's a pic...

Replaced parts or not, that SG is fantastic!
A death’s head ring upon his finger

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:24 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:48 pm
garyfanclub wrote:

Anyhow here's a pic...

Thanks! I love this damn thing. The replaced parts actually doesn't bother me at all, I wanted the *feel* of an old SGs, and this nails it, despite being a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a guitar. It's surprisingly warm and versatile; love picking this up when my Tele or JM just isn't sitting right, and often times it's #1 for any overdubbing work I need to do. Currently have it strung up with 12's and I love how burly it feels/sounds with the big strings.

Maybe it needs a vibrola? Need to track one down one day, though many say it's vintage or nothing since the new ones are supposedly trash.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:40 pm

garyfanclub wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:24 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
garyfanclub wrote:

Anyhow here's a pic...

Thanks! I love this damn thing. The replaced parts actually doesn't bother me at all, I wanted the *feel* of an old SGs, and this nails it, despite being a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a guitar. It's surprisingly warm and versatile; love picking this up when my Tele or JM just isn't sitting right, and often times it's #1 for any overdubbing work I need to do. Currently have it strung up with 12's and I love how burly it feels/sounds with the big strings.

Maybe it needs a vibrola? Need to track one down one day, though many say it's vintage or nothing since the new ones are supposedly trash.
I had a vibrola that came with my 69/70 SG Melody Maker and I was honestly shocked by how well it stayed in tune and sounded. For such a lousy reputation as they seem to have that one didn't seem to have too much trouble.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:22 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:40 pm
garyfanclub wrote:
i love sharin foo wrote:

I had a vibrola that came with my 69/70 SG Melody Maker and I was honestly shocked by how well it stayed in tune and sounded. For such a lousy reputation as they seem to have that one didn't seem to have too much trouble.
Interesting... I'm wondering if I'll have less trouble since I'm using bigger strings? Will have to keep an eye out if a vintage one pops up for reasonable $$$.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:26 pm

garyfanclub wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:22 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:40 pm
garyfanclub wrote:

Interesting... I'm wondering if I'll have less trouble since I'm using bigger strings? Will have to keep an eye out if a vintage one pops up for reasonable $$$.
My understanding is that the tempered metal of those units was of higher quality than what they use now, but I could be wrong. I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone modern who'd figured it out. You could also try something like a Dusenberg Les Trem if you wanted something a bit more modern.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:12 am

More than ten years on guitar forums, loving my jazzmaster, trading gear... And now my go-to band setup seems to be settled as my old Epiphone G-310 (with everything upgraded on it, but still my very first electric guitar!) and my main OD sound is a Danelectro Pastrami with a knob that went missing 10 years ago, the week i bought it :D

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:59 am

Flurko wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:12 am
More than ten years on guitar forums, loving my jazzmaster, trading gear... And now my go-to band setup seems to be settled as my old Epiphone G-310 (with everything upgraded on it, but still my very first electric guitar!) and my main OD sound is a Danelectro Pastrami with a knob that went missing 10 years ago, the week i bought it :D

If it works it works, it's not what you play it's what you play ;)
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:06 pm

A death’s head ring upon his finger

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:21 am

I've been wanting a diatonic harmonizer pedal for a long, long time. Same thing with a delay that can take expression for the time control.

So I finally put the two together on this little leftover board together with the Dumbler and Trem pedal just for fun. The Nektar is controlling the time on the Supro, and the Hosa switch does the boost and distortion on my Supro Blues King 10, which I use in my bedroom "studio."

The combo of the Quint and expressed Delay make for some really trippy stuff. And the Supro Delay is amazing, has that vintage lofi sound, especially if you slam the filter.

The only problem I'm having is the Nektar polarity switch doesn't seem to work and I'm going to have to replace it I think.
- Mitch

Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zeus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:53 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:06 pm
Your setups are always on point.