Everyone needs a stompbox.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Setup of the day

Post by zhivago » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:06 am
Today it's just guitar & cable into this '67 and a Marshall 1966A....

Very cool! :-*

I need to dig my '79 Marshall 4x12 out of storage I think! 8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:54 pm

Professor Plum wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:03 pm
Haven't been 'round these parts in a hot minute... glad to see Zhiv is still making us drool over that les paul :? :w00t: :ph34r: :-*
Luckly i have a little staple action of my own these daze 8) :freako:

tb loop-->Ghost elka Dizzytone--->concert bass mod SD2-in-1--->malekko D600 .........ROCKBUG

tele.
Wow!! That Tele must sound insane!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:02 pm

zhivago wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:54 pm
Wow!! That Tele must sound insane!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Yeah it really does. I was especially surprised by the middle position with both pickups (something i usually don't use) the vintique tele beidge and the staple really play nice together!!

Part of me wants to get a coil-trappable SD quarter pounder for the bridge so i can have a p-90-ish mode too with all of the coil engaged but it sounds so good right now i feel like i should leave well enough alone. :fp:
make feedback, not war. pick it up! pick it up! up, up!

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:20 am

zhivago wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am
So jealous over here :D What I've always wondered about vintage stuff like this is do you play it live it or would you be too concerned about theft or damage? I know you've that 60's Jazzmaster that's seen a lot of live use but I was wondering if you treat the Gibson differently? How do you get insurance for something like that?

Sure, I'd play it live if it was a gig round London...I wouldn't travel with it, though.. if I were to play out of town I'd probably play something else...probably my '13 SG Standard or something.

...the problem for me with playing the '56 out of town is not really the price of the guitar...it's had headstock break and I bought it a long time ago when they were actually a lot cheaper. It's more that it is irreplaceable to me. And by that, I mean the particular guitar...maybe a different '56 wouldn't be as great...it's always hard to say with guitars. Some are great, some are so-and-so.

But honestly, a great guitar is a great guitar, and it never matters really how much you spend.

I paid just over £800 for my run-of-the-mill Gibson Explorer and it absolutely destroys. Rings like a bell, it's insane. I like it better than almost all my other more expensive humbucker guitars, (bar one)...and all my humbucker guitars are very good. Some guitars just have "it", I guess. Hard to say what "it" is...but thankfully it has little to do with price or age of a guitar.

Thank god for that! :D
There's definitely a law of diminishing returns with guitar pricing, I've a lot of friends who got into it later on in life who ask me how much they should spend for a "good" guitar to start off. I always say this cost me X amount but only because it has X features and that's what I like, and I only know that because I've been playing for years. Could I play and make do with the cheapest entry level guitar? Absolutely. Would I enjoy it as much? Probably not. Some guitars are cheap and have "it" and some guitars are expensive and have "it". At the end of the day I still play like me no matter what guitar I'm using :D
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:37 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:20 am
At the end of the day I still play like me no matter what guitar I'm using :D
100000%!!! :)
Resident Spartan.

Owl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Owl » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:06 am

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:01 pm

Fired up the A rig tonight. Bare bones / 100% kick-ass. :-*

Resident Spartan.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:50 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:01 pm

Excellent. How do you like your klon through the Matchless? I’m looking for some drives that may pair well with my spitfire.

Do you have any other drives or fuzzes that you think compliment the amp well?

I love pedals, but ODs and distortions are not my strong suit. So far, I’ve had some decent results from a modern era proco rat. I haven’t tried anything else. And the natural gain from the amp is pretty great as well.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:46 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:50 pm
zhivago wrote:

Excellent. How do you like your klon through the Matchless? I’m looking for some drives that may pair well with my spitfire.

I love pedals, but ODs and distortions are not my strong suit. So far, I’ve had some decent results from a modern era proco rat. I haven’t tried anything else. And the natural gain from the amp is pretty great as well.
Hey thanks! 8)

The Klon works really, really well wit the Matchless....it's been one of my main drive sounds for probably 5 years.

I use the Lightning with the Suhr Reactive Load IR, so I run it at the edge of breakup and then slam the front with the Klon. It's a great sound.

I too have also had great results with my humble Chinese RAT...as far as fuzz goes, I found that my favourite so far has been a Tone Bender MKI...that I stupidly sold, chasing something else....I should get another one...I will re-visit a Fuzzface too, I think, as I am moving more towards a 50/50 split using Fenders too again...it's been Gibson full-time for me for years now.

Running the amp clean, a good distortion unit has been again the RAT, or the BJFE Model H that I've had for many years.

Having the Suhr Reactive Load IR has really transformed the amp for me...I used to have to run it really low, but nowadays I get the most of it at manageable levels...it's great...so not much more is needed than a Klon circuit, really.
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:44 am

I just did a little maintenance on the '60 6119 yesterday and restrung with some GHS Boomers gauged 10-52. That Filtertron has to be one of the meanest pickups that I've ever used. I've had this guitar for a long time but am still amazed at the output and sounds every time I plug it in. Other than that, I had my regular boards --> RE-101 --> '65 Reverb --> '64 Bandmaster.

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:04 pm

zhivago wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:46 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:50 pm
zhivago wrote:

Hey thanks! 8)

The Klon works really, really well wit the Matchless....it's been one of my main drive sounds for probably 5 years.

I use the Lightning with the Suhr Reactive Load IR, so I run it at the edge of breakup and then slam the front with the Klon. It's a great sound.

I too have also had great results with my humble Chinese RAT...as far as fuzz goes, I found that my favourite so far has been a Tone Bender MKI...that I stupidly sold, chasing something else....I should get another one...I will re-visit a Fuzzface too, I think, as I am moving more towards a 50/50 split using Fenders too again...it's been Gibson full-time for me for years now.

Running the amp clean, a good distortion unit has been again the RAT, or the BJFE Model H that I've had for many years.

Having the Suhr Reactive Load IR has really transformed the amp for me...I used to have to run it really low, but nowadays I get the most of it at manageable levels...it's great...so not much more is needed than a Klon circuit, really.
Thank you for the wealth of info! You always have such a classy set up

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:06 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:44 am
I just did a little maintenance on the '60 6119 yesterday and restrung with some GHS Boomers gauged 10-52. That Filtertron has to be one of the meanest pickups that I've ever used. I've had this guitar for a long time but am still amazed at the output and sounds every time I plug it in. Other than that, I had my regular boards --> RE-101 --> '65 Reverb --> '64 Bandmaster.

That guitar is perfect. The red and single pickup have a no nonsense and in your face kind of vibe

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:00 pm

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:40 pm

An unwieldy combo...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:15 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:40 pm
An unwieldy combo...

I’ve been getting the yearning for a lipstick dano or silvertone lately. Nice and simple. Really like some of Grizzly Bear’s early tones. Much akin to your set-up here