Robin Guthrie (Cocteau twins) sounds

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Robin Guthrie (Cocteau twins) sounds

Post by Haddock » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:17 am

I was looking for some insights to get a "Cocteau Twins" chorus-heavy kind of sound, and Google led me to http://www.cocteautwinsforums.com, their official forum.

There I found posts from Robin Guthrie; here's for example what he says of the sound of Pitch the Baby (on "Heaven or Las Vegas"):
Robin Guthrie wrote: ok.. the pulsating stuff : was my green paul reed smith guitar (cause I did most of holv with it and my '59 jazzmaster) played through a gallien kruger preamp straight into the board. this was then treated with a lexicon 480L (pitch shifted +10 cents and -10 cents to make it stereo) and delayed with a yamaha d1500 in sync with the bpm of the track.. next the fun bit .. I inserted a drawmer ds201 dual noise gate over the stereo guitar and triggered it externally from click track playing 16th notes... then I rerecorded the track back from tape through a cry baby wah-wah which I moved manually (Ie with my hands) ..

next: the clean guitars - same guitar through a tom sholtz rockmodule preamp into the board, a little roland dimension d and same yamaha delay....
and the bass was a '57 precision played through a nomad bass box.....

sorry not to be more specific...
oh, and there are no synths....
:wtf: ;D

Is this guy cool or what ? 8)
“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Robin Guthrie (Cocteau twins) sounds

Post by mjet » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 am

Haddock wrote: Is this guy cool or what ? 8)
The answer to this question is "Yes".
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:22 am

Holy freaking crap, I couldn't do that if I tried.  I haven't a clue what he's talking about!   ;D  What a genius.   :-* Mr. Guthrie.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:54 am

Haddock wrote:

cool, and prolific! he's got another album coming out this Tuesday:

http://www.amazon.com/3-19-Bande-Origin ... 305&sr=8-2

8) 8) 8)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:01 am

yeah robin is really good about explaining how he goes about getting sounds.. and how to beware those who wear anoraks

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:24 am

Robin was also fond of doubling Flangers rather than using chorus pedals and separating them in stereo with a short delay. In the early days his tones were mostly EH pedals like the Big Muff and Electric Mistress before he graduated to the likes of Lexicon, AMS and Eventide for the high end studio sounds of Heaven or Las Vegas.

a singer song writer in Austin had a rehearsal space next door to ours and she'd point a microphone at the wall between and record us on her Portastudio as she loved the ethereal sound coming through. ermm, we did play LOUD.  :P

One day when everyone was taking a smoke break outside she confessed this and asked what sort of synthesizer we used so she could get the same sounds...but there were no synths!  ;D

c'est l'morte might have some clues as well, but I'll post some of my 'Twins settings next.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:51 am

Cocteau Twins type patches:

All these are on my old Roland GP-16, a unit Robin used to get guitar sounds for the album he produced for Lush and also used by bands like Ride, the Psychedelic Furs and either Catherine Wheel or Chapterhouse (I forget whose rack I saw it in). Basically it's a box with 16 Boss pedals, some analog, digitally linkable in almost any order.

1) Distortion-Compressor(trying to emulate a Big Muff before I actually owned one)-Phaser(set deep and slow)-Short delay(doubling the signal at 32ms)-Flanger(set low and slow)-Long delay(in time with music from 250-375ms *controlled by expression pedal as there was no tap tempo back then)

2) Flanger(set low and slow)-Short delay(32-36ms)-Dimension D(faster setting like 3 or 4)-Reverb(small room)-Long Delay(500-750ms*)

3) Phaser(set low and fast}-Bandpass Filter(set as slow auto-wah w/ LFO matched to bpm*)-Reverb(small hall)

4) Pitchshift (+10 and -10 with 16ms delay=natural chorus sound)-Long delay(250ms-375ms*)-Tremolo(set low and slow)

as you can see, any 2 modulators into a delay will get you in the ballpark...especially if one is a Dimension D! We used to send #3 through a Maestro Rhythm 'n' Sound to chop it up and it was quite close to "Pitch the Baby." Most of the patches also had a noise gate to keep the swooshing to a minimum between songs.
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

Haddock wrote: I was looking for some insights to get a "Cocteau Twins" chorus-heavy kind of sound, and Google led me to http://www.cocteautwinsforums.com, their official forum.

There I found posts from Robin Guthrie; here's for example what he says of the sound of Pitch the Baby (on "Heaven or Las Vegas"):
Robin Guthrie wrote: ok.. the pulsating stuff : was my green paul reed smith guitar (cause I did most of holv with it and my '59 jazzmaster) played through a gallien kruger preamp straight into the board. this was then treated with a lexicon 480L (pitch shifted +10 cents and -10 cents to make it stereo) and delayed with a yamaha d1500 in sync with the bpm of the track.. next the fun bit .. I inserted a drawmer ds201 dual noise gate over the stereo guitar and triggered it externally from click track playing 16th notes... then I rerecorded the track back from tape through a cry baby wah-wah which I moved manually (Ie with my hands) ..

next: the clean guitars - same guitar through a tom sholtz rockmodule preamp into the board, a little roland dimension d and same yamaha delay....
and the bass was a '57 precision played through a nomad bass box.....

sorry not to be more specific...
oh, and there are no synths....
:wtf: ;D

Awesome, I have too see if I can pull it off with Ableton and Guitar Rig.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:24 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote: Robin was also fond of doubling Flangers rather than using chorus pedals and separating them in stereo with a short delay. In the early days his tones were mostly EH pedals like the Big Muff and Electric Mistress before he graduated to the likes of Lexicon, AMS and Eventide for the high end studio sounds of Heaven or Las Vegas.
I've always thought his sounds on that album were really thin.  Much thinner than anything that came before or after.

My favorite sound that he's gotten was the Pink Orange Red era.  Really big and full and distinctively Cocteau Twins.  He got back to that a little bit with Milk & Kisses and even Four-Calendar Cafe (though that is not my favorite album of theirs by a longshot).

Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Haddock » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote: Cocteau Twins type patches:
Thanks a lot !
“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:07 pm

The noise gate meets click track effect is a must try for anyone who's a fan of c twins!  Its really fun!  Its like being 'strapped into' a tremolo effect.  I haven't done it in ages... Since I've used tape machines at home... Years gone by...

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:23 pm

spacecadet wrote: He got back to that a little bit with Milk & Kisses
no shortage of good sounds on that record, like the noisy swells beginning at 2:10 in "Violane," and the series of soaring riffs from 3:50 of "Treasure Hiding"....  :?

SonOfJazzmasterE
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SonOfJazzmasterE » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:07 pm

The guy is wonderful.. I understand now he is using a line 6 setup. huh?
Go earth! ( the true war of our time)

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 am

SonOfJazzmasterE wrote: The guy is wonderful.. I understand now he is using a line 6 setup. huh?
when i saw him with Harold Budd last year in Seattle, he was running his signal through a laptop. it wasn't working properly when he took the stage, prompting him to ask the crowd, "is there anyone here from Microsoft?" some guy went up and rebooted it for him while he played the first song more or less dry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Robins a don and a very funny guy.  I think all periods of his work; including the cleaner Gretsch sounds of Violet Indiana; have merit, but for me it's the early stuff that impresses the most.  On Garlands he got the most unearthly sounds out of bog standard equipment (Kawai guitar, wem copicat, HH amp, big muff, clone theory), I remember hearing the album for the first time and hardly having a reference point beyond Final Solution by Pere Ubu having a similar grey scream.  Having said that my own sound is more akin to mid period stuff- the early sounds being intouchable
Are you loathsome tonight?