Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by jorri » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:52 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 am

Have you finished the Harmonic Percolator, Sean?

I have wondered about that pedal for a while, one of the few I haven’t at least tried. I only know it by reputation and video demos.
i've built a few in the past and loved them. what i've found about them is their kinda like the mosrite fuzzrite in they need a recovery stage or you'll have to really crank the volume.

the ones in the past i've built have been really fun but imho, they're not as big a part to the shellac/big black guitar sound as people think. like it's kinda the last 15% of that sound but you wanna get closest without one, run a jmp/bassman with a single coil guitar and copper guitar picks. it will get you mostly there.
Thanks for the review. Yeah, single coils and Bassman are my jam. No copper picks though I did try a six pence for a bit.
I am sure he has explained the Percolator is only on some parts of some songs. Not sure what other pedals used, just amp? Metal guitar, metal picks, putting mics a foot away directly at the cone- yes i used to use a brass pick a d got a kind of sound like that but slowly backed it off to extend the life of my strings!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:15 am

jorri wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:52 am

I am sure he has explained the Percolator is only on some parts of some songs. Not sure what other pedals used, just amp? Metal guitar, metal picks, putting mics a foot away directly at the cone- yes i used to use a brass pick a d got a kind of sound like that but slowly backed it off to extend the life of my strings!
the only other pedal ive known him to use is a noise gate
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'