Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:34 am

Tone Bender MK3, NOS parts, tropical fish caps, AC126 and GT308 transistors, trimpots for transistor gain. Sounds incredible. :-*
I still didn't decide on how to mark the knobs functions.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 am

It looks great! Nice work!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:34 am

So a while back I was researching the JHS Morning Glory (don't remember why honestly), and stumbled across a blog post Josh Scott had written about various iterations of the MG. At one point there were plans to make the JHS Patriot, which was a Morning Glory + a Rat. JHS never actually put that one out, but I thought it was a great combo, so I whipped up a board for a 125B. In brainstorming the name I went in the opposite direction from Patriot and called it the Loyalist. Fast forward a couple weeks and my wife and I got to go see the touring show of Hamilton, which provided the inspiration for the artwork. Graphics printed on medium weight paper then Mod Podged onto the enclosure (about 4 coats). Flat sanded to remove brush strokes and then clear coated. Not sold on the knobs yet but they're what I had on hand. Might switch out later.

effectslayouts.com

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:23 pm

^^ That is insanely brilliant. We LOVE Hamilton, and seeing that pedal makes me start singing You'll Be Back instantly :D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

lhwarp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lhwarp » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:46 pm

The FUZZ-THON, a Tone-Bender MKIII 3-knobs that I built and offered to a friend for his anniversary... Note the lightening white 1mm LED dots on the "I" letters ;D

-lhwarp

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:43 am

storyboardist wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:34 am
I was listening to Hamilton on the way to work this morning, and thought about this pedal. It would super cool if you made the antithesis to this pedal with either Hamilton or Washington on it. But what circuit would be the opposite of a Morning Glory + RAT? Tubescreamer + treble booster? Klon + EQ?

EDIT: Would Washington or Hamilton be more of a Muff and EQ?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:02 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:43 am
I was listening to Hamilton on the way to work this morning, and thought about this pedal. It would super cool if you made the antithesis to this pedal with either Hamilton or Washington on it. But what circuit would be the opposite of a Morning Glory + RAT? Tubescreamer + treble booster? Klon + EQ?

I like the way you think. I feel like Hamilton/Washington could be like a DOD 250 and a Triangle BMP maybe? I could call it the Federalist...
effectslayouts.com

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:05 am

storyboardist wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:02 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

I like the way you think. I feel like Hamilton/Washington could be like a DOD 250 and a Triangle BMP maybe? I could call it the Federalist...
Dude :w00t: That is an awesome idea! 250 would be killer!! I've never personally played a 250 and a muff together. Do they work well together?

You'd just have to have the graphic of that one facing King George, so you could have the pedals next to each other, like staring each other down.

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:07 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:05 am
storyboardist wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:02 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Dude :w00t: That is an awesome idea! 250 would be killer!! I've never personally played a 250 and a muff together. Do they work well together?

You'd just have to have the graphic of that one facing King George, so you could have the pedals next to each other, like staring each other down.
It's not a staple of my board or anything, but I think a 250 + Muff combo would be pretty killer.
effectslayouts.com

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:30 pm

I'd try one!

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:30 am

After posting about my new Rat pedal in the workbench thread, I told Shadoweclipse13 that I would write a post here with some more details on how I had my enclosure UV printed.

I had this printed by Tayda Electronics, which for those who aren't aware, is a good source for things like diodes, ICs, etc. They also sell pedal enclosures in tons of colors and sizes. Even before I used their UV printing, I was using their enclosures for most of my projects. In addition to the color selection, they have lots of enclosures pre-drilled for the more common hole patterns used by pedalpcb boards. I recently decided to step up my enclosures from decal paper and try Tayda's UV printing and custom drilling services.

I had already been using Inkscape to do my graphics, but Tayda wants Illustrator format files for printing. As a hobbyist, there's no way I can justify paying for an Illustrator license. A few months ago I found this tutorial from Mike at Pachyderm Pedals, which details how to do what I needed to do to print at tayda. I approach my graphics differently than Mike, but I follow his steps for Affinity Designer. Tayda specifically mentions/warns against using this software in the instructions on their site, but I think that's just them covering their ass. I have printed four enclosures now with this method and all four have turned out well. Your results may vary.

Here are the other enclosures I've printed:

An "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" themed Big Muff:

Another "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" themed enclosure, this is for a fuzz face:

a "Seinfeld" themed Frank Costanza Noise Gate:

As for the cost, it was really reasonable, especially considering these are one-offs (they do have volume discounts though).
(All prices below are for 125B sizes)
Most of their powder coated enclosures are $6. Enclosures pre-drilled for pedalpcb projects are $7. Custom drilling is $4.50 (I did this on three of the four above). The price to do a UV print is $4, and another $2 for a clear layer of gloss/matt (which I just match to the enclosure sheen listed on the product page).

So, the pedals that were custom drilled and printed cost me $16.50 (plus taxes/shipping, etc.). The one that used a standard hole pattern cost me $13! Worth every penny if you ask me.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:20 pm

Dude! Those enclosures all look great and that price isn't bad at all!!!

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:35 pm

I have a question regarding my potential first pedal build, and I figure this thread is the right one for it !

since my recent thread about finding a pedal that sounds like the "distinctive" overdrive circuit of my orange micro crush amp through the headphone jack, I thought about simply using the circuit of said amp, and rehousing it in a stompbox enclosure. Do the pedal gurus of this thread think the following idea is something that can be done as simply as written ?
-buy a 2d orange micro crush, cuz I want to keep the one I have. I found one for cheap online, that's not the main problem.
-remove everything except the internal circuitry, maybe bypass the parts that are not the actual amp circuit it it's straightforward enough to do ?
-encase it in a pedal enclosure, and wire a linear boost after the headphones out to have a way to control the volume (mostly boost it because it's very low if I use the amp like a stompbox between my guitar and an actual amp/interface)
I already have a 'das lineal' booster wired somewhere, I hope it's easy enough to do. Maybe it's not even needed and there's something reducing the output to the headphones jack, that can be safely removed?

The main problem is, I've never built a pedal before, but I know how to solder and probably how to drill holes in a box.

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Tue May 03, 2022 11:23 am

So a group of fellow DIY builders got together and have started auctioning off pedals to help raise funds for Ukrainian refugee relief. We call ourselves "Pedals for Ukraine" and if you're interested in that, go check out the Instagram page. My most recent builds have been in support of this and thought I'd share. First one's a slightly modified DOD250 with asymmetrical clipping. I call it the Хлібниця (Ukrainian for Breadbasket), as Ukraine is often called the breadbasket of Europe, and is one of the largest grain exporters in the world. Graphics were applied with Mod Podge, flat sanded and then hit with a couple coats of clear. Board is acid etched.

Quick demo I did of this on YouTube.

This one's actually on Reverb now as part of their Turn up for Ukraine campaign along with a couple other builders' takes on the 250/D+ circuit.

Next up is a Klone that will get auctioned off on the IG page soon. I named it the Kозак (Cossack) and went on a deep history dive in picking out name and graphics, which I won't bore you with here. Bottom line is Cossacks were bad ass back in the day and a national symbol in Ukraine now. Really pleased with how this turned out. UV printed enclosure from Tayda and a custom designed PCB I made for this project. It's a pretty standard Klone with Soviet D9E diodes (which I bought from a Ukrainian eBay seller a while back) and added soft touch relay bypass.

Demo here on YouTube.

Not trying to advertise for profit here, so hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers. Just trying get more eyes on what we're building and if you can pitch in or bid on a pedal, all the better.
Last edited by storyboardist on Wed May 04, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
effectslayouts.com

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 03, 2022 2:43 pm

Those are both awesome Storyboardist! I love what you guys are doing to help out! Also, those pedal guts are CLEAN :?