Re: The Maxon AD900 Appreciation Thread.....

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:54 am

It’s been 2.5 years and I am still using both the 900 and 999 all over the place. By now I still haven’t found anything that I don’t like about them either. I always have to pay attention the power supplies though as they have different needs (and the 900 uses a positive tip if I remember correctly). I’m really glad that I bought them when I did.

The whole gang:
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:36 pm

Hey hey! Thanks for chiming in! Glad to hear both ADs are still highly regarded in your world.

The 999 landed over the weekend. Still need more time to give a better assessment but I really like it so far. Plugged in and away I went.

Some initial thoughts: Definitely feels at home to me. I pretty much only use the AD-900 and was skeptical if anything could compete or complement it. As much as I love its sound, sometimes I'm looking for more presence, less ambience. Not trying to do rhythmic delays or syncopation but something just a touch punchier. Within seconds I realized this has that! Not bad! :ph34r: 8)

So it does a punchier version of the 900 which is awesome, but I was easily able to dial it back into that ambient-melt-into-the-background-ether zone - albeit with a characteristic grungier, more lofi character to the repeats I've read about

Still getting used to how the controls interact. I was suprised I got oscillation at like 2 o clock on the repeat knob with shorter delay times but then when I increased the delay time it mellowed out. Only thing that I could think was maybe its the way the multiple chips work together as more time is dialed in.

I wondered if it would sound or feel weaker not having the MN300x chips or since its only 9v but so far (at least to my initial demo) it does not. It holds it own and i'm excited to have this along side the mighty, longstanding 900. Looking forward to the week when I should have some time to dive a little deeper into the range of delay time and get into the subtleties. Not to mention, try them together!
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.