Strobostomp HD
88%

Total votes: 8

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Boss TU-3W vs Strobostomp HD

Post by JSett » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:39 am

I'm in the market for a new tuner for my home board. My venerable old TU-2 that's been the workbench tuner is starting to crap out so I'm going to swap over a Pitchblack I have on the board for those duties and put something in it's place.

I like a buffer at the front where possible so both offer those. The Strobostomp has a big screen (good for my aging and often tired eyes), the Boss is likely bulletproof. I've only used strobe tuners briefly and they do kinda confuse me but I expect it's a fast learning curve so that doesn't scare me. I like that the Strobostomp can be tweaked so you can set up a 'sweetened tuning' - which I've done for years on the B string (very slightly flat).

So, anyone here using or used the Strobostomp HD? Opinions? TU-3W? I'm guessing thoughts on those will be predictable as Boss is, rightfully, highly revered.

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Boss TU-3W vs Strobostomp HD

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:56 am

On my Half Tail board I use a Polytune 3 Mini in strobe mode. That’s a pretty good way to go IMO.

Strum all strings to see which ones are out and make big changes, then use the strobe to fine tune.

I think on the Strobostomp the buffer can be switched on and off, which could be a consideration when using germanium fuzz, etc…

Strobe tuning live can be a little fussy. On my other board I use my ancient TU-2, and it’s certainly good enough for live use. With strobe you never get that “yep, you’re in tune.” certainty.
Last edited by marqueemoon on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:00 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:56 am
On my Half Tail board I use a Polytune 3 Mini in strobe mode. That’s a pretty good way to go IMO.

Strum all strings to see which ones are out and make big changes, then use the strobe to fine tune.

I think on a the Strobostomp the buffer can be switched on and off, which could be a consideration when using germanium fuzz, etc…

Strobe tuning live can be a little fussy. On my other board I use my ancient TU-2, and it’s certainly good enough for live use. With strobe you never get that “yep, you’re in tune.” certainty.
I tried a polytune and ended up just reverting to old habits of individual strings (odd tunings doesn't help).

Whatever tuner I pick is going on my home board. For live I just use a TU3 and be done with it...there's only that and a BD-2 on there.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:02 am

Strobostomp all the way for me, I love the sweetened tunings it offers. :-*

The one thing that has to be noted though is that it takes a split second of the Strobo to start tuning and mute the sound. I think it is related to the relay of the whole true-bypass switching system. Doesn't bother me, but it is definitely there.
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:09 am

zhivago wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:02 am
Strobostomp all the way for me, I love the sweetened tunings it offers. :-*

The one thing that has to be noted though is that it takes a split second of the Strobo to start tuning and mute the sound. I think it is related to the relay of the whole true-bypass switching system. Doesn't bother me, but it is definitely there.
I just watched a video of someone bemoaning the relay delay. For home use, I'm not that bothered.

Glad you chimed in on this as I know we don't have wholly dissimilar setups.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:23 am

Oh yes, for home use it is no problem at all. :)

I have been into the whole sweetened tunings thing for many years...since I got a Strobo 2 probably 15 years ago or so.

I am going to pick up the headstock tuner they brought out soon as well.
Resident Spartan.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:46 am

If you can stomach true-bypass the Sonic Research tuners are awesome and very accurate which is great if you'll also be using it for setting intonation.

Instagram: thetonyballs

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:58 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:46 am
If you can stomach true-bypass the Sonic Research tuners are awesome and very accurate which is great if you'll also be using it for setting intonation.

Does that 'flat' button allow you to set it for Eb standard but still display proper flats (or just adjusted to display regular EADGBE) and not the, infuriating, D#G#C#F#A#D# nonsense?

*Edit: I see it does, that's good. They sell direct, I think it works out less than a TU-3w

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 am

I've been using Strobostomp since the 2nd stomp model came out, about 4 iterations ago. Still own it and have a non slim HD.

I use the GTR sweetened tuning and dig it.

One thing that isn't mentioned enough is the screen's high visibility in almost any gig setting: outdoor, indoor, bright lights, no lights, etc.