Re: Finally built a Triangle Big Muff

Post by zhivago » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:25 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:25 pm
zhivago wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm
Will do, thanks Justin! 8)
Do it before your eyes start going bad!

I had a supply of parts and schematics along with a stash of cases, switches and knobs, with plans to build 4-5 pedals. One day I had the soldering iron out and realized I couldn’t see well enough to do the work.

That was 6 years ago and my eyesight is worse now. I would need one of those jewelers magnifying lenses or something. My hands aren’t shaking yet, but that runs in the family too.
I had a similar problem and ended up getting the magnifying lense I wear on my head in front of my glasses...there is no other way I can solder anything nowadays! :D :D :D :D

Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:26 am

I have a couple of scratch-built pedals in the drawer somewhere - of varying successes - but this thread has inspired me to have at it again and I've ordered the parts for a nice simple Interfax HP-1 build.

I have the perfect wood-sided Hammond enclosure here ready too so should be an easy thing

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

dangayle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dangayle » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:26 pm

How does a Triangle compare to a more modern muff? I've had a Black Russian, a V4 op-amp, and a Frantone, but haven't ever gotten around to trying a Triangle. I might try to build one.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:46 pm

dangayle wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:26 pm
How does a Triangle compare to a more modern muff? I've had a Black Russian, a V4 op-amp, and a Frantone, but haven't ever gotten around to trying a Triangle. I might try to build one.
It’s always tough to put sound into words. With just the one Triangle, my sample size is quite small, too.

It seems to me that there is less of a mid scoop. There’s less saturation and less gain. But you gain a bit better note separation and clarity. I think it’s a bit less compressed overall. The difference is honestly not extreme. Not really even major. For somebody who has a lot of experience with the circuit, the nuances would be pretty apparent, I’m sure. I feel like this circuit is more similar to say, a Rams Head than something like a Bubble Font would be compared to the Rams Head. It’s a cool take on the circuit and I’m glad I built it.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:25 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:42 am
That is a good call...there's been a couple of times where I bought some parts but never got started.. l :-[ I'll have a look online and see what kits are around. :)
I've only ever built one kit (from Aion FX), but theirs was really nicely laid out and easy to follow!
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:25 pm
Do it before your eyes start going bad!
I feel that! I've built Gundam models off and on for a long time, always at 144th scale, and lately that just feels too small for me to properly see/paint some of the details (even with my reading glasses on :jacked: ).

Jack

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am

Nice! I've been eyeing out some stuff on Jed's Peds...he is UK based which is a plus...I've been incredibly busy lately but I hope to build something soon. :)
Resident Spartan.

B.T.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B.T. » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:12 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:46 pm
dangayle wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:26 pm
It’s always tough to put sound into words. With just the one Triangle, my sample size is quite small, too.

It seems to me that there is less of a mid scoop. There’s less saturation and less gain. But you gain a bit better note separation and clarity. I think it’s a bit less compressed overall.
That’s pretty spot on. The mid scoop on other versions will get you more lost in the shuffle in a live setting. I used to modify these to get more mids but mostly flat, not mid forward or scooped. It starts to land in RAT territory but bigger wall of fuzz, even less lost in the shuffle live.

The other thing the Tri/Rams has is less fizz as the notes decay. They also clean up a little bit better when rolling off the volume control of your guitar but not by much. I also would mod them to get a hair cleaner decay for palm muting crunch.