New pink delay day

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

New pink delay day

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:08 pm

I’ve added to my analog delay arsenal. This one is a newer Maxon AD80, which is very different than my older Maxon AD80. This one is marked 9 or 10 volts and 12 works fine also. It’s about 300msec. The tone is fairly hifi and clear up until about 3:00 on the dial, then clock noise becomes apparent and the quality falls off. Up until that point though, the delayed signal is very good. I don’t mind as I have other analog delays for longer times. This one does not oscillate which I am actually okay with because I can set it for near infinite repeats at any delay length and not have to worry about it. It’s a neat little pedal and was really cheap. They used to be kind of expensive. I’m glad it found its way to me.

A death’s head ring upon his finger

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New pink delay day

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 pm

Neat! I got one a few years ago to see how I liked it. Definitely it’s own thing. The slap backs were pretty cool. Mine oscillated readily. Ultimately I sold though. Just too used to my AD-900. I also got rid of probably my 5th or so old AD-80. I keep rebuying those for some reason. :blush:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:45 pm

It’s weird, I opened it up and there are two circuit boards. I didn’t remove the one closest to the pots so I don’t know if there was a trimmer there. But the other one had two (unmarked) trimmers. I could get it to oscillate but it came at the cost of fidelity (very much). It was basically unusable at that setting. Clock noise bled through badly. Which doesn’t really make sense. I wonder if there’s a trimmer for regeneration on that second board? At any rate, I’m not bothered enough to try to figure it out. If it were my only delay I may. But with what I have, it just isn’t necessary.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:45 pm

Interesting. Don’t remember opening mine up. I do remember it had one of those older 90s/early-2000s foot switches with the black tip. That was a trip. At only 300ms or under there probably not much wiggle room to tweak the trim pots without noise or artifacts.

I got a recalibrated Ad-900 recently and it doesn’t oacilalate, but it’s set up for very clean repeats. It does the infinite repeats floaty thing verrrry well, but I always wonder about tweaking it. Then again it’s set up so we’ll it’s almost a novelty at this point. Plus i have another that’s set up to feedback. Sorry, tangent. 😁

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:14 pm

AD900s and AD999s are great! I’m still using both of mine. I think AD999s are one of the most underrated analog delays that you can buy these days. I love mine. My AD900 is one of the earlier 2 chip variants but I actually prefer the darker, muddier 999 ??? Both are fantastic though. But I’m having a lot of fun with the little AD80 right now.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:49 pm

I have a 999. Lots of fun. So murky and dark but the character is very cool. I almost sold it but something told me too keep it. They’re all flavors, these pink boxes. I may actually revisit the Boss analog world again. It’s been ages since I had a DM-2 or 3. I’m also interested in the Waza. Never played one.

I have both 2 and 4 chip AD-900s atm. The 4-chip is my go to. The 2-chip is the recalibrated one. The 4 is darker but I’ve had it for ages and just know how it reacts. That’s been my #1 for a long time. Used to run it with my 70s DMM but i’ve semi retired that pedal. It’s amazing, nothing sounds like those but I’m kinda babying it due to its age. Might have to have an analog delay love fest tomorrow! I especially love how they sound with Fuzz faces and Tine Benders. But also love them with anything really. Tried the tape echo sim world but nope. Couldn’t get the same character and feel. Although I do have a Klemt in need of repair. One day i’ll get that tung sorted out and see how the real deal goes.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:33 pm

Well, of course I approve of this.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:15 am

Very cool score!

Back in the HCFX days I used to lust after these AD80s, but somehow never got my hands on one as I got...ermmm...seduced by the lure of the AD900! :D

My current AD900 is a 4 chip version, whereas all the ones I owned in the past were the two-chip ones.
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:21 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:33 pm
Haha! It would be weird if you didn’t :D

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:14 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:21 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:33 pm
Haha! It would be weird if you didn’t :D
8) It’s a great pedal. I do sometimes wish it could go into runaway, but it just sits back in a really nice and musical way.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:15 am

It is definitely surprising how many repeats can stack up without it being driven into oscillation. I am kind of thinking of it as a feature at this point. I don’t think any of my others can do that. Or at least they don’t sound quite like this one. I am really glad I finally got one.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:57 am

I was playing around with some slap back delays last night while noodling around on some Stray Cats stuff. I think this little AD80 actually accomplishes a better slap back than either the trust old Moogerfooger or the Memory Lane. It’s hard to describe but with those short delays, it is a bit closer to the original dry signal. It just works really well for that.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:29 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:57 am
I was playing around with some slap back delays last night while noodling around on some Stray Cats stuff. I think this little AD80 actually accomplishes a better slap back than either the trust old Moogerfooger or the Memory Lane. It’s hard to describe but with those short delays, it is a bit closer to the original dry signal. It just works really well for that.
The slap backs are a strength. Definitely more hi fi on the first repeat than my other analogs, save for the DMM. I remember enjoying very short delays with lots of repeats and mixing with other longer delays. Super trippy psych out fun! 8)

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:34 am

I had a Maxon AD-9 that I loved and gigged hard for a long time but it went wonky and started oscillating the time on the repeats? Then the prices went bonkers so I never got another. I've thought about picking up another but it's hard to justify when I love the DM-2w so much
She/Her

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:23 am

I could never really decide which analog delays I liked best. Over the last 15 years or so, I’ve just kept them all :D I always like to revisit different ones that have been on the shelf for a while and compare to other ones. My Moog Delay has never left my board since I bought it new. I couldn’t live without that one. I had to sell every other analog delay that I owned to be able afford it back then and never regretted it. I still love all the differences between all the pink delays though. I think I have 7 now :fp: