recommend me a fuzz pedal that can take a clean solid state amp to poundtown (and also an OD pedal to stack with it)

Everyone needs a stompbox.
bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

recommend me a fuzz pedal that can take a clean solid state amp to poundtown (and also an OD pedal to stack with it)

Post by bah humbuck » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:34 am

I want something thick yet articulate that won't get lost in a mix. I mostly play Strats and my Jazzmaster. For most of the last few years I've been getting my fuzz/distortion/heavy sounds from diming the saturation circuit in my Peavey Special 130 and switching between channels. Great sound, very Siamese Dream if you use the parametric EQ right. However, I recently picked up a 2x12 with a much crapper OD channel, so I'm looking into pedals for a heavier sound. Before I had the Peavey I was using a Big Muff Pi into a Hot Rod Deluxe (a rig I no longer have -- traded the pedal and the amp was stolen) but I disliked how easily my sound would wash out in a band mix. I want a distortion/fuzz pedal that I can use with both a sparkly clean sound, and stacked with an OD.

Some sounds I know I like:

Vox Satchurator - I love the 'heavier' take on a DS-1, but like the DS-1, doesn't seem to do well with a clean amp. Which led me to...
Vox Ice 9 Overdrive - best sounding OD I've ever heard, but doesn't seem to be made for a clean amp either.
MI Audio Crunchbox - tried one of these a while ago, pretty nice sound but don't know how well it works with a clean amp.
Lovepedal Superlead - Again, really solid sound, but I heard someone playing a 335-style into a Fender Tweed so I don't know how well it would work with my rig.

I want something thick yet articulate that won't get lost in a mix.

Guess I'm asking for recs of both a good solid nasty fuzz, and an OD I could use with a completely clean amp to make the aforementioned fuzz think it's in a nastier corner than it actually is. Does all that make sense?

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: recommend me a fuzz pedal that can take a clean solid state amp to poundtown (and also an OD pedal to stack with it)

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:55 pm

fuzz war or superfuzz are good into a clean amp. superfuzz is different into an OD amp/pedal but no less superfuzzy.
you should check out the dual-footswitch hudson broadcast, that's a pretty sweet gritty OD/preamp that becomes a nasty gnarly fuzz in high gain mode.

JohnnyS
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: recommend me a fuzz pedal that can take a clean solid state amp to poundtown (and also an OD pedal to stack with it)

Post by JohnnyS » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:16 pm

Analogman Sunface BART /end thread

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:04 pm

/thread addendum:

This is one of those questions that may yield a different answer from every response!

I wasted too much money going through the boutique fuzz rabbit hole and came out the other side loving the sounds and simplicity of the Boss Waza fuzz (the FZ-1w, not the stupidly overpriced Tone Bender thing). I sounds awesome with every guitar and amp combo I've tried, and it’s hard to find that versatility in a fuzz. It’s not as prone to getting lost in a sea of noise as some fuzz units are.

That said, I would also endorse a variation on the above suggestion - the Analogman Sun Lion. The combination of fuzz and boost is a beautiful thing, especially if you’re in a situation where you can crank up the volume! The boost side really cuts through at the right frequencies - you will never get lost in the mix.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:01 pm

JohnnyS wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:16 pm
fuzzface types aren't much good into a clean amp ime. or, at least, that's not what they're best at and a fuzzrite or 2-transistor tone bender would be better

JohnnyS
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnnyS » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:13 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:01 pm
JohnnyS wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:16 pm
fuzzface types aren't much good into a clean amp ime. or, at least, that's not what they're best at and a fuzzrite or 2-transistor tone bender would be better
I actually prefer mine into a clean amp. But I use it like a big muff really - fully goosed and warm and fuzzy. The BART transistors are actually very smooth and work well that way.

I will say that it doesn't stack at all well really though.

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:53 am

Fuzz Factory.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

sdgails
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sdgails » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:01 pm

boss fuzz pedal FZ variant

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:20 am

Look, I realize a Big Muff is the definition of "getting lost in the mix", but if you hit a Muff with something mid-humpy like a Rat, you can balance them to get articulate, nasty bliss that I dont find gets lost in our sound, a big wall of fuzz/delay/reverb.

The Superfuzz/Behringer/etc would be my next suggestion. But because it's the greatest fuzz ever made. Two of them. In one box.

Oh, and while I don't have a lot of experience with the "post fuzz OD to kinda simulate a dirty amp for smoothing things out", a Blues Driver has worked well for me. Fairly flat EQ, does that thing it sounds like you want it to do, but without radically reshaping the EQ curve of your overall sound.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:27 am

MrShake wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:20 am
Look, I realize a Big Muff is the definition of "getting lost in the mix", but if you hit a Muff with something mid-humpy like a Rat, you can balance them to get articulate, nasty bliss that I dont find gets lost in our sound, a big wall of fuzz/delay/reverb.

The Superfuzz/Behringer/etc would be my next suggestion. But because it's the greatest fuzz ever made. Two of them. In one box.

Oh, and while I don't have a lot of experience with the "post fuzz OD to kinda simulate a dirty amp for smoothing things out", a Blues Driver has worked well for me. Fairly flat EQ, does that thing it sounds like you want it to do, but without radically reshaping the EQ curve of your overall sound.
My whole life revolved around a rat into a big muff for about 15 years. Nothing finer. :?

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:04 am

One of my doomiest/fuzziest pedals is the Fuzzlord Drone Master. I run it into a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb.

Chord clarity, ripping lines, sludge, light overdrive, classic RAT, it’s all there.

If you want 90s Pumpkins/Mudhoney I can’t recommend the Vaderin SuperRam enough.

bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bah humbuck » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Definitely have a few new things to explore. That Super Ram looks delicious, and I'm definitely going to try out the muff-rat combo as well.

For the Fuzz Face people, my friend/housemate/bandmate has two Fuzz Face-style circuits in the studio downstairs: a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz and a handbuilt Analogman Sun Face clone. The tweak fuzz sounds really close to what I'm looking for on the 'darkest' setting (knob all the way to the right). I haven't tried the Sun Face clone yet.

But there has been an unexpected twist to this story as well: I have two Joyo American Sound's (I thought one was broken when it wasn't). I use them to record direct to my digital 8 track for times that I can't be loud. They are damn good at the "normal good tone" Fender edge-of-breakup thing, and even crustifying my drum machine / vocals / synths when necessary, but at practice last night I decided to chain them together, using one for a clean(ish) tone and one as a fuzz. Ran into a... I think it was Marshall-style preamp? And holy shit. I had no idea what this pedal was capable of! I won't go so far as to say that my search for fuzz is over, but I did get a VERY usable sound out of that rig.

I'll report back when I have a chance to try the other Fuzz Face into my 2x12. Keep the suggestions coming!