Well, the game has been changed all right.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Well, the game has been changed all right.

Post by Chippertheripper » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:02 am

cestlamort wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:09 pm
Chippertheripper wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:57 am
I will probably buy the tremolo when it comes out. I was at my local crack dealer (guitar pedal shoppe) and I was looking for something that does this, and he put me on the phone with Brian wampler who said it would require too much engineering.
Basically what I’m after is a tremolo that either changes speed or depth with playing dynamics. If they can engineer that into one of these, I’m all in.
So basically an envelope to control the speed or depth? Not analog, but the Eventide Harmadillo effect does just that (H9, H90)
Harmadillo features three ENV (envelope follower) controls that use your picking and playing dynamics to affect the tremolo’s rate, depth, and crossover frequency. These controls can make subtle or drastic changes to your sound and add flexibility to the effect. When first getting to know Harmadillo, we recommend setting the ENV controls to 0 so that you can get a feel for the basic controls first. Once you are familiar with those, it will be easier to see how the ENV controls can be used to add expression to your playing.
H90 Manual
I honestly don’t think I’m qualified to operate anything eventide makes. I can plug a cable into this hole or that hole though.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:59 am

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:26 am

Chippertheripper wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:02 am
I honestly don’t think I’m qualified to operate anything eventide makes. I can plug a cable into this hole or that hole though.
:D

The Eventide stuff is great but there's a (big) learning curve with their stuff. (And a lot to sort through to avoid the sounds that are seemingly made for the Chapman Stick). I realized that I sound like one of those Linux evangelists when talking about the Eventide stuff: "It does XYZ...! But you have to do all this command line stuff" when the person just wants to be (literally) plug and play.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:45 pm

I do like the idea of being able to route effect control parameters with that much flexibility

It *could* be gimmicky but could also be very useful, particularly things like making effects envelope- and register-dependent

I question whether patch cabling is the best user interface for this. How many possible sources and destinations are there that we couldn’t just use a matrix of switches? But it’s certainly intuitive

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:57 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:26 am
Chippertheripper wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:02 am
:D

The Eventide stuff is great but there's a (big) learning curve with their stuff. (And a lot to sort through to avoid the sounds that are seemingly made for the Chapman Stick). I realized that I sound like one of those Linux evangelists when talking about the Eventide stuff: "It does XYZ...! But you have to do all this command line stuff" when the person just wants to be (literally) plug and play.
Having seen you play live a few times you’re definitely putting all that technology to good use.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:24 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:57 pm
Aww thanks!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:15 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:45 pm
I do like the idea of being able to route effect control parameters with that much flexibility

It *could* be gimmicky but could also be very useful, particularly things like making effects envelope- and register-dependent

I question whether patch cabling is the best user interface for this. How many possible sources and destinations are there that we couldn’t just use a matrix of switches? But it’s certainly intuitive
i was thinking two encoders would probably do it

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:34 am

Right; I suspect the main “benefit” of individual patch cables is look/feel

I’m sure plenty of guitar players watch modular synth performers (with their arcane-looking equipment and a spaghetti bowl of patch cables) and subtly/subconsciously wish their rigs evoked “mad scientist” in a similar way

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:57 pm

sessylU wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:24 am
This companies entire shtick seems to be designing things that people would never want or use and that in real life use would either break or prove incredibly frustrating, then pretending that their weird product isn't dogshit but is in fact innovative.

Edit: And I say that as someone who likes weird things, and has a particular fondness for pursuing bad, unworkable ideas.
so i really wanna disagree with this. i have the plasma and it fucking rips on bass. but i do think a few of the pedals are kinda like "let's do this because we can then see what we can actually do with it"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:19 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:57 pm
sessylU wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:24 am
This companies entire shtick seems to be designing things that people would never want or use and that in real life use would either break or prove incredibly frustrating, then pretending that their weird product isn't dogshit but is in fact innovative.

Edit: And I say that as someone who likes weird things, and has a particular fondness for pursuing bad, unworkable ideas.
so i really wanna disagree with this. i have the plasma and it fucking rips on bass. but i do think a few of the pedals are kinda like "let's do this because we can then see what we can actually do with it"
aye, Sean!

Having played four of their pedals, i can't fathom how even a total idiot jackass would say their stuff is dogshit or not useful. even if they've never played any of them.
their stuff is definitely innovative, and high quality. and often particularly useful. the question i have to ask about each pedal is, "is it necessary"? yes, the gimmick factor is HIGH. but so far i have found two of them to exceed my expectation after buying them. and the gimmick/innovation has yielded a creative function i haven't had before.

i hope these guys do well and keep up the innovation, execution and quality. i'm happy to consider the next one.

it makes sense that if you have a fondness for pursuing bad, unworkable ideas, you wouldn't be into these products.
Last edited by 46346 on Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:28 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:34 am
Right; I suspect the main “benefit” of individual patch cables is look/feel

I’m sure plenty of guitar players watch modular synth performers (with their arcane-looking equipment and a spaghetti bowl of patch cables) and subtly/subconsciously wish their rigs evoked “mad scientist” in a similar way
yup. i've managed to steer clear of the modern modular patching rabbit/money hole.
but having learned on ARP 2600 in its day, i do feel i could make some more efficient patch chains on my guitar pedalboard.

i would probably enjoy playing these in a 'workshop' phase of rehearsal or development.
but it would be tricky to accommodate them in my current gig rigs...

now i wish i made more of an effort to try these at NAMM this week, but that was one busy booth
with a pack of dudes around those pedals...
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks